.38 Special and pressure

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

.38 Special and pressure

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Saw this illustration in a discussion of a blown-up K-38 over at castboolits and thought it was mighty interesting.

KWK
Senior Levergunner

Re: .38 Special and pressure

Post by KWK »

Nice bit of data to test QuickLoad by. It slightly over predicts the pressure of the normal load but then under predicts that of the deep seated version. For the double charge it over predicts the pressure. Unknows are the actual case capacity; the burning properties of that lot of Bullseye; the primer effects; etc. Internal ballistics are not easy to predict.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

I remember data like this from back in the 1970s. Some target shooters blew up some 38 Specials with the 148 gr. wadcutter and 2.7 gr. of Bullseye. Armchair experts were talking about detonation and power excursions and other BS. Hercules rigged a Colt Detective Special I think it was with 2.7 gr. of Bullseye fired by a dynamite cap to show there is not enough power in that amount of powder to blow a gun when it is detonated. But if you get a double charge .... And if the bullet is seated a bit too deep there will be problems.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Bill, I saw this post of yours, tried to look at the picture, unable to zoom in so I can't read the info... No big deal as I'm well aware of double charging and if I'm using Bullseye I'm doubly if not triply aware!
It is very good info for people to remember that Bullseye can cause problems - good on you for posting this PSA!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
1894cfan
Senior Levergunner

Post by 1894cfan »

These days I'm not using much Bullseye, instead I'm using what's called Vectan Ba10 which is just a wee bit faster burning. When loading with that stuff I'm usually using one of the Lee powder scoops, and dumping ONE scoop then seating the bullet right afterwards. So, dump ONE scoop, seat bullet then move on to the next one! When downloading 30/30 with that powder there's a bit more leeway, given the amount of space in the case.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

It doesn't get clearer when you click on it?? Sorry.
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

Nope, no big deal Bill. It won't zoom for me...
Of course on my phone the screen isn't so big and it's a little better on the tablet but without cheaters( in my fishing vest in the truck) it's just fuzzy print.
Like I said I'm VERY careful with bullseye!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Well, suffice it to say a double charge of Bullseye and a wadcutter seated 3/16 too deep gets you 76,000 :shock:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

THAT would get your attention!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Good information to keep in mind. I am sort of happy with my fingers. Blowing up a gun and losing a finger or two does not sound enjoyable.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

piller wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 7:21 pm Good information to keep in mind. I am sort of happy with my fingers. Blowing up a gun and losing a finger or two does not sound enjoyable.
One good thing .... at least with American guns .... rarely is anyone seriously injured. I've seen a number blown over the years and only one resulted in a serious injury.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

Bullseye is my go to powder for the .38 Special and will be as long as I can get Bullseye.

But I don’t try to go that low on powder charges.

I understand that Bullseye was used to load factory .45 Colt ammunition for many years.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 9:49 am Bullseye is my go to powder for the .38 Special and will be as long as I can get Bullseye.

But I don’t try to go that low on powder charges.

I understand that Bullseye was used to load factory .45 Colt ammunition for many years.
I like it in the .45 ACP as well. The .38 Special loads are always very accurate.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've burned a lot of Bullseye and also Especial de Caça (similar burn rate I was told) over the years. At one point I had a George Nonte book from the Outdoor Life folks (IIRC) on reloading and he had some recommendations for using a 22 LR or 22 Short case for a powder dipper. But the specifics escape me. I loaded a lot of ammo using that method and always got good results. The full wadcutter loads with bullets cast in a Lyman mold were VERY accurate, but not particularly powerful. They did good for small game, however, and didn't tear much meat up. Preventing double loads was always a top priority. Never worried about deep seating, just seated them to the crimp groove as I recall. Even used Berdan brass for the lighter loads at times (you use what you can get). Take a small drill bit, cut the base of the anvil through the mouth of the case, punch the primer and anvil out with a regular decapper, seat a small pistol primer, load light. Never had an issue despite triple flash holes in such cases.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Years ago my Dad made powder dippers from cartridges. The .22Long Rifle case made into a powder dipper averaged 3.1 gr. of Bullseye.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

JimT wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:59 pm Years ago my Dad made powder dippers from cartridges. The .22Long Rifle case made into a powder dipper averaged 3.1 gr. of Bullseye.
Pretty much the perfect load for a .38 Special.

Just the thing to have in a war bag with a 310 tong tool kit.
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 7:03 am
JimT wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:59 pm Years ago my Dad made powder dippers from cartridges. The .22Long Rifle case made into a powder dipper averaged 3.1 gr. of Bullseye.
Pretty much the perfect load for a .38 Special.

Just the thing to have in a war bag with a 310 tong tool kit.
Yessir! I have more than a couple of them. :D
Galloway
Levergunner

Post by Galloway »

Great illustration, Always makes me go hmm when Keith would mention crimping over the driving band.
Bob Hatfield
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bob Hatfield »

I've loaded 38 Special since 1981. I've always crimped that button head Lyman wadcutter in the crimp groove. Even seated flush with the 2.7 gr. load in the illustration it was less than 9,000 psi.
Back then I used Unique and 231. Never tried Bullseye back then because I just figured it was too old timey. I know Unique is almost as old LOL. Guess what? I gave Bullseye a try in the 1990's and never looked back. 3.5 grains of Bullseye under a 148 gr. Lyman button head solid base wadcutter is my perfect snub-nosed load. Shoots to the POA at 20 yards with nice tight round groups. Same load for a 158 grain round nose also except it shoots a little high. I believe the 3.5/158 was standard for many years. I have about a pound of bullseye left.

Bob
JimT
Shootist

Post by JimT »

At 3.5 gr. of Bullseye you get 2000 loads out of a pound of powder. Not a bad deal.

The 2.7 gr. load gives you almost 2600 loads from a pound.

As well as being an accurate powder, Bullseye has always been economical to use.