Redfield 70 and Lyman 48 receiver sights

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Redfield 70 and Lyman 48 receiver sights

Post by Naphtali »

Regarding Redfield 70 and Lyman 48 receiver sights, what are each sight's specific model designation letter for Rossi 92?
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Redfield 70 and Lyman 48 receiver sights

Post by earlmck »

Well, it'd be the same as what goes on the Win m92 and I have one of each. On the elderly Redfield there is absolutely no marking that I can see. The elderly Lyman must be a 68 instead -- it says it is a "68LA".
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Naphtali »

On my Mauser 98s, Redfield 70 and Lyman 48 are both marked with letter M. This is specified because FN Mauser (I didn't know there was any receiver bridge difference between the two) is marked with letter F on Lyman 48 sight. While to me, a flat receiver is a flat receiver, I am concerned that traditional lever action receivers might have that unexpectedly different receiver sight base requirement.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
JFE
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JFE »

Pretty sure that the Lyman 48’s have a round mounting base designed for mounting on bolt actions. The flat sided Lyman’s designed for leverguns (and other firearms with flat sided receivers) are generally the 66 models. The main issue is the aperture arm width but the most common width suits the Win 94 and Marlin 336 leverguns. The Win 94 is practically the same width as a 92. There is a slight difference between the bases for W94 and M336 models and one base (I think it’s the Marlin model) won’t fit the 94 as it fouls on the top corner of the receiver.