Colt SAA-- When was it made?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
footlong
Levergunner

Colt SAA-- When was it made?

Post by footlong »

Have found an almost nib SAA sn--S17XXXA. Blue cch 45c 5 1/2''. Has a slite cyl ring. Guy wants a grand.
When was it made and is it a good year? It will be a shooter. Is this a fair price?

Thanks
Ysabel Kid

Re: Colt SAA-- When was it made?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

1979. My 28th edition (2007) Blue Book of Gun Values has the following:

100% $1,195
98% $950
95% $800
90$ $700

Sounds pretty reasonable to me! :D
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

YK, where did you find 1979 as the date? It seems to me that serial # with split S-A should be closer to maybe 2000 or 2002.(I could be wrong though). I don't have any reference material that goes to that serial # range. $1000 would be a good price especially if it has the box & papers with it.
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

It does have the box. Ser-S17xxxA I did some research on the net last nite. Seems the 3rd gen sn is after 93 when they
reached SA99999. Started S02000A. There is also an UNOFFICIAL 4th gen where they changed the cyl pin or
bushing back to what it used to be in 1 and 2 gen guns. This was done after ser-S34000A app. I found this info AFTER
asking about age of gun. The gun is on GUNBROKERS #102076895

thanks
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

footlong wrote:It does have the box. Ser-S17xxxA I did some research on the net last nite. Seems the 3rd gen sn is after 93 when they
reached SA99999. Started S02000A. There is also an UNOFFICIAL 4th gen where they changed the cyl pin or
bushing back to what it used to be in 1 and 2 gen guns. This was done after ser-S34000A app. I found this info AFTER
asking about age of gun. The gun is on GUNBROKERS #102076895
thanks
Colt doesn't recognize that "unofficial 4th gen" label as there was no break in production, {in their minds}, although for several yeas they were only available thru the Custom Shop. i've heard some refer to that clunker, the Colt "Cowboy" with iuts transfer bar as the 4th gen. The Generations of the Colt Single Action Army, ©2003, revised October 2006, by Bill Hockett. Although, I not sure I agree with the "expensive" label, as it only one feature to qualify for a custom shop order, and a couple were downright reasonable.

See also: Colt Single Action Army and Cowboy Revolvers.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

So, did you get it? The newer Colt SAA's are excellent quality and $1000 was a good deal.I recently picked up a new, 2008 (serial # S40xxxA) in 32-20.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

My bad - that's what I get for reading it too fast. I went with "SA" not the "Split S-A".

Sorry!!! :oops:
footlong
Levergunner

Post by footlong »

YK.Thats ok. I appreciate the help. Hill,I got it off Gunbrokers. It will be a while getting here with mail to and fro.
Transfers and all.

Thanks guys
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My opinion it's awful hard to go wrong buying a Colt SAA so long as it's priced close to average and it's in decent shape. They tend to hold their value.
Old Law Dawg
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

Hi. I am new here. My bil has a Charles Daley 45. He says its "just like a Colt". And he only paid $300 for his.
I offered him a c-note for it. Thanks,but as they used to say in the Coke ads, I'll stick to the "Real Thing".
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

popeye44 wrote:Hi. I am new here. My bil has a Charles Daley 45. He says its "just like a Colt". And he only paid $300 for his.
I offered him a c-note for it. Thanks,but as they used to say in the Coke ads, I'll stick to the "Real Thing".
Welcome to the forum. Good thing you didn't offer me a c-note, I'd have taken it & bought a Colt!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
popeye44
Levergunner

Post by popeye44 »

Griff if you know where to get Colt SAA's for a hundred bucks apeice I'll take a dozen.
Just let me know where to send the cash. Ha Ha Ha. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

popeye44 wrote:Griff if you know where to get Colt SAA's for a hundred bucks apeice I'll take a dozen.
Just let me know where to send the cash. Ha Ha Ha. :lol: :lol: :lol:
My bad, there I go thinkin', "grand"... :oops: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!