Aging a Confederate D Guard Bowie

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Aging a Confederate D Guard Bowie

Post by Old No7 »

Now don't all too excited, as this isn't a great knife...

It's a cheap $30 made-offshore D Guard Bowie. I'd bet that one whack on a watermelon would cause the "full length tang" to break -- that's cause it's a small weld barely holding the blade onto a length of threaded rod. But that's OK, as I'll just be wearing this on my right side in my Civil War Sergeant's uniform at the next Primitive Biathlon I compete in again this year. As in prior years, I'll carry my father's 1862 Mansfield & Lamb cavalry saber on the left side. My twin brother and I enjoy this "living history" event (see the picture from last year way down below), and he's got a number of good friends who do it with us. They'll all be in mountain man or French & Indian era dress, but I'll have my 20th Maine set on.

Here's the Bowie as bought from ebay -- it was made by "El Cheapo":

( Click on any image to enlarge )
Bowie 01 before.jpg

I aged the brass parts with a solution of white vinegar & salt, first by brushing it on the parts, the suspending them above the vinegar in a covered bowl; wetting them every hour, for about 5 hours total. That worked OK, but then the next time I shot real blackpowder at the range, I saved some of the cleaning patches and I wiped those onto the brass -- and that really helped to darken up some spots.
Bowie 04 after.jpg

The steel blade was aged with different types of Cold Blue solution, then wiped with steel wool in spots.
Bowie 03 after.jpg

Here's the replica Bowie, all ready for the Primitive Biathlon mid-February in Southern VT:
Bowie 02 after.jpg

You can't see it in the pictures, but I did rasp some finger grooves into the grip, then used the rasp to scrape the original hard finish off (which was too shiny and actually "pretty good"). That left a rough finish which I lightly sanded, then stained. I'll add a couple of coats of low gloss tung oil later. You can also see that I distressed the grip too.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how this turned out. I could have spent $150 to $300 more for a really nice representation of a D Guard Bowie, but for my purposes, this will be fine. And for sure -- I would not want to get stabbed with one!

Old No7
03 med.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Ysabel Kid

Re: Aging a Confederate D Guard Bowie

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent job Darryl! :D

You know me and Bowie knives. I can't resist them!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Darryl, I agree -- nice work. I have long admired the D-guard Bowie but accounted them a distinctly Southern artifact. Now that I have found so many Confederates in the family closet, my interest has "re-piqued" if that's a thing! :lol:
You Hubbard boys make quite a picturesque pair. Hope you both have a great biathlon this year. 8)
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Yes, I'm curious as to why a Yankee is carrying a Rebel Bowie knife...... :? but then lots of WW2 GIs had Luger's..... :D

Darryl all the best to you and your twin in the Biathlon... :D
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:11 am Yes, I'm curious as to why a Yankee is carrying a Rebel Bowie knife...... :? but then lots of WW2 GIs had Luger's..... :D
Why?? 'Cause it wasn't of any use anymore to the dead Rebel!!! :wink:

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

:lol:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Old No7 wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:45 am
gamekeeper wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:11 am Yes, I'm curious as to why a Yankee is carrying a Rebel Bowie knife...... :? but then lots of WW2 GIs had Luger's..... :D
Why?? 'Cause it wasn't of any use anymore to the dead Rebel!!! :wink:

Old No7
It's a good looking knife to my eye, I logged it into the MAKE This Folder.

Thanks for the photos, and for keeping memories alive . . .
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Bill in Oregon wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:38 am You Hubbard boys make quite a picturesque pair.
Other than wearing that darn blue-belly uniform... :wink: :lol:
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 pm Other than wearing that darn blue-belly uniform... :wink: :lol:
Um, WE WON! Still a sore loser? :wink:

Old No7
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Old No7 wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:21 am
Ysabel Kid wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:53 pm Other than wearing that darn blue-belly uniform... :wink: :lol:
Um, WE WON! Still a sore loser? :wink:

Old No7
Who, me? :wink: