Winchester 1892/1873 saddlering staple removal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pat C
Levergunner 3.0

Winchester 1892/1873 saddlering staple removal

Post by Pat C »

Occasionally people remove the staples on 1892,1873 SRC .
Especially if some form of restoration or maybe a damaged or cut staple.

The older staples passed through receiver and were almost swaged a little inside . A 1/8 punch carefully placed through spring cover screw hole will tap the legs out.

But recently I ran across one with blind holes on a 1907 1892 SRC . I tapped from inside punch dented metal but staple never moved.

So plan B I polished a drill drift and placed copper between receiver and drift. Few light taps staple popped right out.
That's when I noticed the blind holes .

The dent my punch left inside was from the thin blind hole denting in. Usually you can see the outline of staple inside .
If you don't it could be blind hole type.

Really the drift works good for either unless staple is cut off flush. Then precision drilling may be needed if it's a blind hole type.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ysabel Kid

Re: Winchester 1892/1873 saddlering staple removal

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Well done!