the mind meanders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

the mind meanders

Post by Grizz »

I'm looking at all the super lever gun photos and narratives, and start thinking about a stainless Rossi in 454, check the price and wander off to something I can still afford. Then I tripped over the link to Turnbull's Finely Finished Firearms Catalog and, Oh No! Now that's a lever gun!
https://www.turnbullrestoration.com/wp- ... atalog.pdf
I'm not even to my second cup of coffee and around p. 19 are some straight stocked Winchester 1892 44-40s with cheap engraving and checkering to my simple taste, and Oh No!
I can actually see, in my active imagination, a Finely Finished Stainless Rossi 92 ! ! !
Winchester 1892 finely finished.png
And I start wondering what that would cost. Would Turnbull hang up on me. Would he die laughing? IDK. I don't have the nerve to ask, but am hoping someone around here does. It could be an interesting "rest of the story" segment.
My question is, which engraving and carving combo would you choose for a Rossi 92? Or a Miroku 92? Or a Browning 92? Or even a Winchester 92?

curiously, grizz
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RIDERED350r
Levergunner 2.0

Re: the mind meanders

Post by RIDERED350r »

Well, I own a modern Winchester Miroku 1886 Takedown that I had Turnbull turn into my dream rifle a couple of years ago. I can say their workmanship is absolutely first rate and their customer service was on point. I'm very happy with my decision and have zero regrets about spending the money on it.

You second question about wether they would work on a Rossi. That I cannot answer. I know they only do their bone charcoal color case hardening on certain firearms due to the metallurgy of some. But that doesn't really apply here as you are asking about engraving. To that I would say, what would it hurt to call them and ask. I really don't think they would simply hang up if the answer is no. They would probably give you their reasons as to why.

Lastly, what engraving?? I really couldn't pick one out of the bunch. All are beautiful and are done by the hands of master engravers. Should they agree to do it and you decide to spend some of your hard earned, I'm confident you will be well pleased with the results.

I only live about 2hrs from their shop in Bloomfield NY. I had the pleasure of visiting their shop twice when I dropped my rifle.off and picked it up when it was finished. Met Doug, shook his hand and had a nice chat with him the day I picked it up. He's a nice fellow and was generous with his time to answer my questions and to just chat a bit.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh come on Grizz…..that would be like putting a suit on a monkey.🤪
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Sixgun wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:09 pm Oh come on Grizz…..that would be like putting a suit on a monkey.🤪
E X A C T L Y :!:
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Grizz wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:28 pm
Sixgun wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2023 11:09 pm Oh come on Grizz…..that would be like putting a suit on a monkey.🤪
E X A C T L Y :!:
Hey Six, you were the inspiration for the post. I was revisiting the Rossi stainless 454 to see if maybe the price had dropped to around 200, and the tab exactly next to the Rossi page was the Turnbull page! And Momma always said I have a way of putting 2 and 2 together. Boom!!! The Turnbull Rossi.

The only reason I shared the discovery was that I guestimated the ODDS of getting a 200$ Rossi, + get original Winchester prices from Turnbull, + happen to meet you at a BBC in this lifetime are likely net 0.

Because if the first two had happened, I would have waited for the BBQ to reveal the Turnbull Rossi !

:lol: