Loads for the Rossi 44/40

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Loads for the Rossi 44/40

Post by Swagman »

It was our club day last Sunday (Sydney Colonial Muzzle loading Club) and as we have BP breechloading events as well as muzzle loading I took along my Rossi M1892 rifle in 44/40. I have been making cartridges for this using an original bullet mould and Winchester re-loading tool that I picked up years ago and it has been shooting pretty well with this combination, however I recently purchased a batch of hard cast bullets from a Western Action gun shop for a mate to try out and I loaded up a batch to try myself. The bullets are RNFP .427 dia and 200g (hard lead) and I used 35g of 3Fg powder, they were loaded on a Partner press without a crimp and the results were considerably better than I have acheived to date!! I have now ordered a pack of 350 bullets for myself and plan on a couple of loading binges to build up a supply of cartridges.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JBowen
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Loads for the Rossi 44/40

Post by JBowen »

Looks like that 3 F is bumping the bullet pretty good. I was thinking ( I know it hurts sometimes :D ) that the Rossi 44-40s had .429-.430 bores like
the 44 mag. I have not slugged mine and it shoots the .430 Hornady XTP really well with 2400 powder.
Have you slugged your barrel?

JBowen
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

No, I haven't slugged the barrel, really should do that. It would be useful if the firearm manufacturers published the actual bore dimensions (or at least the approximate range), would make it easier for mechanically challenged blokes like me!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Swagman, what sort of lube were you running with that hard boolit over 3F -- or did they come prelubed (and maybe with lube designed for smokeless)? How was the bore fouling/leading? I agree that load shows promise!
By the way, I just looked up Heathcote on the map -- south of sprawling Sydney, with rivers, lakes, forests and saltwater not far. Looks like a pretty nice place to live!
Swagman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Swagman »

G'day Bill, I am using SPG bullet lube ( I pan lube the bullets). Not too much leading but I only fired 10 shots, fouling was about medium I would say, the bullet has one large and one small grease grove ( I will nick out to the back shed in a bit and get a photo of the bullet). I am happy with the load so far, using the original bullet mold I would get the occasional two shots touching, but nothing like that 4 shot group.

Heathcote is a nice place to live, heading south from my house are endless bays and beaches all the way to the Victorian border. Twenty five years ago was like living in a village, now the remorseless advance of Sydney is encroaching, when I retire I think it is time to head west across the Blue Mountains and find a house and 100 acres somewhere quiet.