OT = off topic: what's your homeland defense rifle?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Re: OT = off topic: what's your homeland defense rifle?

Post by AJMD429 »

JReed wrote:One of these days I will pick up an AK when I am not living in such a repressed state. I am a bigger fan of the AR platform but you could say that I am personaly biassed accuracy wise I have yet to see an Ak that will perform as well as AR espescialy when it comes to shooting at the longer ranges.
You'll be out of Kalifornia soon!

You might consider something like the Bushmaster "AK gas system" which fits to the AR and gets you the 'cleaner' gas system but retains the modularity and accuracy potential of the AR. Pricey but they seem very sensible.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Hey Noah. I know what you've got - seen em many times :mrgreen: or pictures thereof anyway.... :wink:

JREED -- if I were you, I'd be looking for a new job in a gun friendly state. Don't know what your occupation is, but there's plenty of jobs here in Texas! :)

We'd love to have you and you can have any evil rifle you want - even full auto with the stamp of course.

Come on in, the water's fine. 8)

Maybe we should ask for a new forum dedicated to assisting those stranded in Kali in getting relocated to America. :?:
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Well, I'm going to stick with my leverguns. If I had to defend myself at home, I could stand them up around the room like Billy Jack. I'd have about 60 rounds without reloading.

My idea of a crisis is the local talent emboldened by a disaster or police walkout. These guys use pistols held sideways and they don't practice. And I seriously doubt they would try to take a defended position when there are so many others without any guns at all.

Anyway, if there's a lack of food or services, I'll be geared for hunting animals, not people.

If there is a real invasion, don't worry about guns. After a couple hours of battle there will be guns available.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

JReed wrote:
morgan in nm wrote:Nice Enfields goes out to the folks who posted pictures. :D On that savage No.4, how did you get yours to shoot so well? I have one with the savage flip sight that will do a 6" @100 if I am lucky and the bore is mirror. I find that my English enfields shoot better with remington factory.(Sorry I didn't mean to steal this thread.)
quote]

My No4 Mk1 S with its 2 grove barrel hates the FMJ boat tail bullets. So I use the Sierra 180grn Pro-Hunter it is a plain base bullet and has the bearing surface my barrel needs. I load with a max charge of IMR 4320 in neck sized fired (in my rifle) brass. I had to play with the load a bit but it works like a charm.
Thanks, I'll try that. Mine is also a 2-groove like most savages. I also thought about changing the rear sight to a micrometer and see if that makes a difference.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

My SMLE's like fat, long bullets and I think most do. I'm talking about .314", 215 grain or thereabouts bullets.

I actually get the best accuracy with gas check cast bullets of those parameters at around 2000 fps.

And I want to say that the idea that you can keep a couple of boxes of ammo on hand and plan on shooting the bad guys and then taking their better weapon and more ammo is .... well, not a good idea IMHO. It may come to pass that you use up your ammo, kill no one and end up screwed...

No, you don't need thousands of rounds, but you should keep a good amount on hand (at least a couple hundered IMHO) - and the comment about having several leverguns loaded and just switching them out is a way of handling the limitations of the magazine capacity if you really don't want to go with an EBR.

Think about an overwhelming number of bad guys pushing through your area of residence.... you would need an accurate, high capacity, high rate of fire rifle to overcome those numbers. And that's assuming they aren't armed with such....
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

O.S.O.K. wrote:Hey Noah. I know what you've got - seen em many times :mrgreen: or pictures thereof anyway.... :wink:

JREED -- if I were you, I'd be looking for a new job in a gun friendly state. Don't know what your occupation is, but there's plenty of jobs here in Texas! :)

We'd love to have you and you can have any evil rifle you want - even full auto with the stamp of course.

Come on in, the water's fine. 8)

Maybe we should ask for a new forum dedicated to assisting those stranded in Kali in getting relocated to America. :?:
O.S.O.K.
My profesion is United States Marine and the Corp is sending me to a more gun friendly state of Indiana. :)

As for a rifle that is Nato compatible I have this
H&R Survivor in .308Win aka 7.62X51 NATO. It may be a single shot but we Marines belive in one shot one kill and it drives tacks :wink:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

hmmmm, I think I've seen that before too. Now to remember your undercover name... ;)

Yes, I think it was in response to a camo thread... right?

What a small world.

And congrats on getting the heck out of Kali! :drink: ;)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep I have posted it before. Here and on another forum. Yes it is a small world. :)
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
44LVR
Member Emeritus

Post by 44LVR »

All I have for defensive rifles are levers. Mine is a 24" Marlin Cowboy in .44 with the plastic plug removed. It holds 13 rounds of .44 Special 250 SWC's.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” Ronald Reagan
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

O S O K

the Steyr Scout has the cooper package so not only would he be proud, his estate probably got $$$ in royalties.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

If the manure impacts on the spinning wind producer, then I will probably grab the SKS, or the Mini-30. The Mini-30 with .308 caliber 125 grain handloads is very accurate. It can digest anything, but it isn't very accurate with the .311 diameter Russion made stuff. Minute of pie plate while standing. The Puma in .480 would be my choice if I had to put a lot of damage into something and didn't need to carry much extra ammunition. I don't have an Ar-15 or variant thereof, but it is something I am looking at getting soon.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
pharmseller
Senior Levergunner

Post by pharmseller »

Bubba w/a 45/70 wrote:For plugging the roaming hoards of bad zombies I'll pull out my Romainian FPK in 7.62x54R. I can put factory (Wolf Gold) ammo into a deer silhouette at 500 yards very accurately without a rest and standing, using just the open sites. For whatever reason though, I haven't found a decent scope option with this rifle yet....

If I need to do more "survival" type of "Homeland Security" 8) , then the Ruger M77 MkII in .308 will most likely get the nod. Or the Enfield No.4 Mk1 which has been slightly modded by a previous owner....

And for anyone else that will be covering my six, I have the Mini-14.

Everything depends upon what my perceived needs are when things happen.
You're a better shot than I am! I can't even see a deer sized silhouette at 500 yards, much less hit one offhand. What's your secret?

Q
We are determined that before the sun sets on this terrible struggle, our flag will be recognized throughout the world as a symbol of freedom on the one hand, of overwhelming power on the other.

General George C. Marshall, 1942
dbateman
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dbateman »

2x israli converted k98 in 7.62x51
1 no1mk111 smle 303/25 scoped
1 no1 mk111 smle 303
2x 94 trappers 45clt and 30-30
94 BB 375 if there got armor
Dave Bateman .

If guns cause crime, then pencils cause misspelled words, matches cause fires and spoons make Rosie O'Donnell fat.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I read several comments about getting an AR soon.

For those not familiar with assembling you own, I recommend getting a rifle kit and a separate lower and putting them together yourself. This is very easy and directions are available on-line from several sources. I can dig some up if anybody is interested. No special tools needed at all. Takes about 30 min.s to an hour to assemble depending on your familiarty with it.

This avoids the Gram-Pittman tax on all but $100 of the rifle and lowers the price considerably. You can get a basic AR-15 for less than $600 which is $150 to $200 less than 'complete' rifles.

I got my kit from http://www.del-ton.com - and have been very happy with it. Gives me MOA accuracy and was very well made. They use standard parts - not cheapo stuff. I got my Stag lower from http://www.aimsurplus.com - $100.

I do recommend one "upgrade" for sure - and that's the barrels with chromed chambers and bores. Just my own particular prejudice - I think a military type rifle should have that- adds $50 to the price.

Just FYI
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

just added another one to the pile :lol: 110 years old and still shooting.

1898 M-91 imperial tula SA (finn)

DAV life member.
Bubba w/a 45/70
Levergunner

Post by Bubba w/a 45/70 »

pharmseller wrote:
Bubba w/a 45/70 wrote:For plugging the roaming hoards of bad zombies I'll pull out my Romainian FPK in 7.62x54R. I can put factory (Wolf Gold) ammo into a deer silhouette at 500 yards very accurately without a rest and standing, using just the open sites. For whatever reason though, I haven't found a decent scope option with this rifle yet....

If I need to do more "survival" type of "Homeland Security" 8) , then the Ruger M77 MkII in .308 will most likely get the nod. Or the Enfield No.4 Mk1 which has been slightly modded by a previous owner....

And for anyone else that will be covering my six, I have the Mini-14.

Everything depends upon what my perceived needs are when things happen.
You're a better shot than I am! I can't even see a deer sized silhouette at 500 yards, much less hit one offhand. What's your secret?

Q
Knowing how to utilize my "wobble" while shooting. Everyone has a wobble, normally in some sort of figure 8 fashion, with the 8 laying sidways. Just knowing when to shoot and when not to shoot makes this possible. Using a pair of crosssticks, well then things don't even get hard out there.

I'm very used to shooting 45/70 trajectories out at 1,000 yards and in, so putting me behind a flat shooter like the 308/7.62x54 type of round isn't even very challenging for me when getting out on the steel targets.
Liberalism isn't just a disease anymore, it is a mental disorder.

Please read:
Ben Sira 2: 4-9
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Here's a couple of my home defense pieces;

Old Law Dawg
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cool - 1800's and 1900's rigs :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

Ammo shortages worry me, so one of each... just to be safe. :wink:
Slow is just slow.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

m4, rem 870 12gauge, glock 9mm. if you can really shoot a .22 single shot is all u need.
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Just got a 7.62x54R rifle with almost 500 rounds and putting together my kit now,
give me a couple months to get things together and this will be it, followed by the
30-30, 44 Spcl, and 22s
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

CAR-15 with trijicon [i have a 7.62x39 top for it also, if needed] and a h?/k .308 civilian sporter with ten of the 10 round magazines, and a big leupold scope on it. those should solve most situations.
a custom winchester 92 takedown 16" trapper in 44 mag/44 special is also very handy for some impromptu social situations as well.
cable
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Andrew wrote:
txpete wrote:Image
the snipers are still in use today.
7.62x54R: Dropping bad guys for 117 years and counting. 8)
I may have to spend some quality time with my M44 and get reacquainted. There's something to be said for the x54 carbines.
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
model55
Levergunner 3.0

Post by model55 »

Guess it may end up being what I grab first but the mini 14 is the plan with me along with a browning high power and 1897 pump shot gun.rbmcmjr that is a nice safn 1949-you can use m14 stripper clips for that.