OT- Google [Bot]????

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

OT- Google [Bot]????

Post by J Miller »

I just came on line and down at the bottom of the Board index page where it show who's on line this is what I saw:
Registered users: BAGTIC, bunklocoempire, caw, claybob86, Comal Forge, CowboyTutt, Google [Bot], Grizz, Hillbilly, J Miller, JB, John in MS, lever-4-life, levers, northwoods, Old Savage, revorg, xtratoy
What is a Google [Bot] and what does it do?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT- Google [Bot]????

Post by Andrew »

J Miller wrote:I just came on line and down at the bottom of the Board index page where it show who's on line this is what I saw:
Registered users: BAGTIC, bunklocoempire, caw, claybob86, Comal Forge, CowboyTutt, Google [Bot], Grizz, Hillbilly, J Miller, JB, John in MS, lever-4-life, levers, northwoods, Old Savage, revorg, xtratoy
What is a Google [Bot] and what does it do?

Joe
I see a Yahoo [Bot] at the bottom right now. I don't have a clue.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
rimrock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rimrock »

I believe it is the automatic way both Google and Yahoo updates their search references to the site.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

When you see BATFE [Bot], start to panic! :shock:
KWK
Senior Levergunner

Post by KWK »

I believe rimrock has it right. Search engines look at the top level page of all domains and follow the links on each page, in this way fanning out across an entire site. (Actually, they look at more than just the links when trying to find all pages on any site.) As words and phrases of interest are encountered on each page, indexes are updated in the search engine's databases. The "robots" are in contrast to the original Yahoo system of links managed by hand.

The site administrators recently noted the new forum software has the ability to detect 'bots traversing the forums.
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

Ysabel Kid wrote:When you see BATFE [Bot], start to panic! :shock:
If you think that Google [Bot] doesn't = FedGov [Bot], you are kidding yourself. :evil:

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

A "Google [bot]" or "Yahoo [bot]" or any other of a wide variety of "bots" are "spiders". They follow a web through a site and index key words and subjects. That way when someone does a search for "levergun" or "winchester 1892" or "spencer carbine" or whatever, the system that sent the bot or spider out will search through all the instances it has recorded of such words and come up with a list o sites that use them. If you look at the old poll around here someplace about "How did you find us", you'll see that the majority drifted in due to the labors of such bots. Google, yahoo, etc. all have this site well indexed. The day when you do a google search for "rye whiskey" and come up with levergunscommunity.com in the top 10 results - well, that's the day you'll realize how big we're growing!!! :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

AmBraCol wrote:A "Google [bot]" or "Yahoo [bot]" or any other of a wide variety of "bots" are "spiders". They follow a web through a site and index key words and subjects. That way when someone does a search for "levergun" or "winchester 1892" or "spencer carbine" or whatever, the system that sent the bot or spider out will search through all the instances it has recorded of such words and come up with a list o sites that use them. If you look at the old poll around here someplace about "How did you find us", you'll see that the majority drifted in due to the labors of such bots. Google, yahoo, etc. all have this site well indexed. The day when you do a google search for "rye whiskey" and come up with levergunscommunity.com in the top 10 results - well, that's the day you'll realize how big we're growing!!! :D
Paul - Don't the bots do more than just index? Don't they also provide cross-reference data for the Google Analytics capability and others like it, such that searches we run from our machines my ultimately be tied back to posts we make? The capability that GooYaSoft (just made that up!!!) has to profile our on-line habits is quite broad, and any data they have, the Fed has.

Haycock
The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned. - PA State Constitution
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Haycock wrote:
AmBraCol wrote:A "Google [bot]" or "Yahoo [bot]" or any other of a wide variety of "bots" are "spiders". They follow a web through a site and index key words and subjects. That way when someone does a search for "levergun" or "winchester 1892" or "spencer carbine" or whatever, the system that sent the bot or spider out will search through all the instances it has recorded of such words and come up with a list o sites that use them. If you look at the old poll around here someplace about "How did you find us", you'll see that the majority drifted in due to the labors of such bots. Google, yahoo, etc. all have this site well indexed. The day when you do a google search for "rye whiskey" and come up with levergunscommunity.com in the top 10 results - well, that's the day you'll realize how big we're growing!!! :D
Paul - Don't the bots do more than just index? Don't they also provide cross-reference data for the Google Analytics capability and others like it, such that searches we run from our machines my ultimately be tied back to posts we make? The capability that GooYaSoft (just made that up!!!) has to profile our on-line habits is quite broad, and any data they have, the Fed has.

Haycock
As I readjust my tinfoil hat, I surely hope not... :) Unless there's a 'back door' to the phpbb software (not likely, it's part of the anti-establishment software revolution) there's no way that they can track your usage here except by the posts you make - and that only in that they are tied to a certain "handle". Cookies are only readable by the software on our server and are only used to authenticate users so that their handles are not compromised. So, as far as I understand things, the only function of the bots on this (and similar) forums is to index the information available on them.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

AmBraCol,

Thanks for the info. I learned something new today and it's only 8:12am.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Haycock
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Haycock »

I don't usually consider myself one of the tinfoil-hats-and-black-copters crowd, but in this case perhaps I am. I sure hope you are correct. Thanks for the considered and informative reply.

Haycock
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Gents,

The bots are shown as "Registered Users", but do not have clickable links to profiles. How can they be registered, and have no profile?

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage