OT: Buying a Motorcycle - Need Input.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Re: OT: Buying a Motorcycle - Need Input.

Post by Blackhawk »

Stopped in to get fuel today after work, $54 for 13 gallons. A young man was walking towards a Honda VTX that was pretty close to me. We got to talking about it and I have to admit that bike touches a cord in me. Foreign or not it looked and sounded good. Payment was almost twice what the HD would be though, $180 vs $99. And cost needs to be kept low. I think overall the VTX1300 is probably close to final price as the 883L, but that's a guess. He stated he gets about 50-55mpg on that 1300.

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

WCF3030 wrote:
deerwhacker444 wrote:
Blackhawk wrote: I've given long consideration to the Honda's but not being made in America is another issue that really bugs me.
I'm not entirely sure on this, somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought alot of parts in the HD line are made overseas and then ASSEMBLED in the U.S. I thought that the engine is made in the U.S. and that most everything else is outsourced. Am I wrong..?
Nope your right.
When you take the tour of the plant they just cover up the non-American parts with a tarp. :roll:
Nope your wrong...the doodads might be off shore but the meat and bones are 100% here. All engines are made in either the Capital Ave plant or the Menomonee Falls plant, Frames are made in Pennsylvania, KC, or Wisconsin. Final assembly is either KC or Pa.

They got a ton of stuff I sell on 'em...so buy 'em up!
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:You guys and bikes crack me up. :D "Is a HD 883 big enough for two?"... let me put it this way. Back in February my lil' Suzuki hauled my rear (and the rest of me) along the Andes up to Guatapé - six hours from home along some impressive twisty roads. It's a lil' 125 CC GN125H with a whopping 12 ponies worth of "power". I get about 80 mpg give or take and haul myself and my wife all over town on it. Yeah, it's not a freeway bike, but my point is - it doesn't take 100 horses to haul you around unless you're a LOT bigger than your's truly - by a factor of four or so... Here's a couple of pics of that trip. I've even ridden it up to Bogotá, seven hours up, five hours back. (not the same day) Yes, I'd love to have a much larger bike - but you'd be amazed at how handy a MUCH smaller bike can be.
I'm totally with you... though I do think a 125 is too small for an urban zone. Yes, I know the Triumph's are 900s, I like the frames. But like I said, give me a good shot at a solid old CB400 twin or somthing similar in the 200 - 650cc range and I'm happy. Small enough to be handy, but have enough torque to get you out of the way if necessary.

Here's a good new bike that would get you around town OR the ranch... (Or maybe even get be to Chicago now and again)

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/produ ... specs.aspx

C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

The best motorcycles in the world are....... The ones you like. They are all good today.Get the one you like or you will end up with it anyway. I would up to the 1200 sporty, or any motorcycle with BAGS. You need a place to put stuff and a backpack gets old. Any street legal dirt bike is a blast and they get the best gas mileage (55- 60 mpg) Good luck!!
P.S My 04 sporty 1200R(orange) got 55mpg and I miss it.
marlin shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by marlin shooter »

Buy the bike that is comfortable and fit's you. Try to test drive any bike you buy as they all feel pretty good on the showroom floor for a few minute's. The sporster would make you a fine bike, I don't believe you'd have any reliability issue's, same with the metric's. Ton's of accessorie's for the sporty both factory and aftermarlet. My wife has a 2004 kawasaki vulcan drifter 800 and it has been a little hard to accessorize (limited factory and aftermarket). And you will pay as much for the metric acces as the HD stuff. Your sportster will come with a 2yr warranty, metric 1. Can buy extra for both. If possible I would buy the 1200 because as you progress and start riding more you'd like the extra power especially 2up riding and freeway. I want my wife to buy a sporty or a dyna. I bought a 2007 FLHT and love the bike, 7000 miles and no problem's. All day riding comfort, room for storage, 38 to 40 back and forth to work, 45 on a highway. No loud pipe's or gas guzzling. Good luck with your purchase, ride safe. If you havn't ridden I would suggest a motorcycle safety course. Maybe also get a little break on insurance.KarlImage
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My back and forth to work gas saver.
06 Super Glide.
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

The TW200 or I call it the "toad wart " works great around the farm . Totaly stable , it's like driving a circus bike. They have been around since 1987. I picked mine up for $250.

My friend who is a mechanic at the Harley dealer drives a SV650 suzuki. They are a great around town standard V-twin bike. They been around for a while so there should be plenty of used ones out there. He says even though he's had his for 4 years he gets a smile on his face when he drives it. He says it's just a fun bike. He has other bikes but that's his daily driver.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

If you just want cheap transportation....buy a jap bike
buy if you buy a Harley...it will hold its value much better....
As of the beginning of April....Harley was to stop production
on the v-rod and the sportster sometime this year....
but if price of gas keeps going up they might change this....
Either way you wont loose buying the harley...
Polaris is American Made too.....
And there are about 100 custom bike mfrs out there too!
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Don't think I'd be happy on half a Harley(883), I'd opt for a full sized one? Sporters will beat you to death, on the hiway. I get around 50-52 MPG with my '95 Wide Glide? I'm 60 now and have been on two wheels since 16 and got my drivers license. In'05 I rode from Pontiac, Il. to Glaucester Ma. then up to Laconia.
"The Original Point and Click Interface was a Smith & Wesson."
Life member of NRA, USPSA, ISRA, AF&AM Pontiac #294
LIUNA #996 for the last 32 years, retired after 34 years.
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

txpete wrote:in its day this was a big bike.I got this a a basket case and dad and I rebuilt it and my first paint job.
500 triumph daytona (1969) don't laugh :D

1966 FLH.bought this one off a pilot shipping out for $1000.00 cash.big bucks for a SP/5
Is that the Daytona in the back ground? I have always had a hackering for a 1965 T120R Bonneville 650. One of these days...........
Steve
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

S.B. wrote:Don't think I'd be happy on half a Harley(883), I'd opt for a full sized one? Sporters will beat you to death, on the hiway. I get around 50-52 MPG with my '95 Wide Glide? I'm 60 now and have been on two wheels since 16 and got my drivers license. In'05 I rode from Pontiac, Il. to Glaucester Ma. then up to Laconia.
:D :D but who wants to drive a dump truck when you can drive a vette :lol: just kidding
pete
DAV life member.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Paul, EtAl, a small one is dandy, but on an all day trip, or even on a half day, the extra weight and comfort is priceless on this old, achy butt :mrgreen: There is a TW200 in my future for hunting, around town and such. BTW, Honda is closing down the USA Gold Wing/VTX plant soon.....get your American made scoot while they last.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

There is a TW200 in my future for hunting
not to mention pullint BL&TL out of the ruts !! :lol:

I like the looks of that TW200. I could throw it in the side of the van. Wouldn't that be a kick up on the FS roads? Could ride circles around the quad-guy too. I'm cracking myself up today Blaine.
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

BlaineG wrote:Paul, EtAl, a small one is dandy, but on an all day trip, or even on a half day, the extra weight and comfort is priceless on this old, achy butt :mrgreen: There is a TW200 in my future for hunting, around town and such. BTW, Honda is closing down the USA Gold Wing/VTX plant soon.....get your American made scoot while they last.
Blaine,
Are the VTX models made in America?

Anyone know about adding Luca Fuel Additive to each tank of gas to help with fuel mileage? Heard of a guy (250lbs) that rides a Honda Shadow 750, he adds 1oz of Lucas to each tank with regular gas and reports to get around 70mpg. Anyone else try that?

Johnny

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Blaine & All,

I just spoke with the Honda dealer and he stated that the VTX was made in Japan and assembelied(sp) in America. He said he has 07 VTX 1300 models for $7500 which would fit closer to my payment plan. Hmm...may need to go over there at lunch.

Johnny

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Blackhawk wrote:Blaine & All,

I just spoke with the Honda dealer and he stated that the VTX was made in Japan and assembelied(sp) in America. He said he has 07 VTX 1300 models for $7500 which would fit closer to my payment plan. Hmm...may need to go over there at lunch.

Johnny
My bad, I thought they were 100% USA :oops: .......I still like the Scoot real good, though....a good value....I've been putting about 11,000 a year on mine (an 05) and it remains flawless, except for things you expect to wear like brakes, coolant, tires, etc) You'd have to spend double to get the same in an HD. Rice burners are lasting 100,000 miles or longer with proper maint.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

BlaineG wrote:

Johnny
My bad, I thought they were 100% USA :oops: .......I still like the Scoot real good, though....a good value....I've been putting about 11,000 a year on mine (an 05) and it remains flawless, except for things you expect to wear like brakes, coolant, tires, etc) You'd have to spend double to get the same in an HD. Rice burners are lasting 100,000 miles or longer with proper maint.

At 11K miles a year how often are you having to put tires on? I know nothing about motorcycle tires but assume they have a milage rating like vehicle tires? I think I will go over and talk to'em at lunch. He quoted a monthly price of $140, but it was ballpark. I'd still like to stick closer to $100. May go ahead and check out the 750's while I'm there.

Johnny

Johnny

S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

Honda Financing is a rip off from the start! Low payment that you will not get the purchase payed off in the year, before payments go to a high interest credit card? Ask, before you get into this and get into trouble. You guys must be younger, to be so easy? HEHEHE
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Got caught up a work for most of lunch but got to go by the Honda shop for a few minutes. Like the feel and comfort of the 750's but the 1300 is just out of my practical range. I need a bike that my wife can ride as well and a 700lb bike for her is asking too much.

I'm eager to compare the Honda 750 to the HD 883.

Someone give me a price check on what they pay for tires and about at how many miles are tires usually replaced?

Johnny

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Blackhawk, tires for bikes vary widly as to how hard or soft the compound is.I ride a kawasaki councourse and the first set of "sport tires" lasted only 8000 mi. I since upgraded to "wing" size michlen pilot gt's that are good for between 15-20k.(about 240 for the set) I pulled the wheels and had a shop mount the tires.the dealers can be very expensive. You may want to look at the Kawasaki bikes, they have some dual purpose bikes and dressed crusiers that look and ride very well.Good Luck.Jim.http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/Detail.aspx?id=275
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

All things being average, I could get anywhere from 8000-10000 miles on my tires, it all depends on the tire makeup, riding conditions, rider habits, etc..., you might get 5000-12000 depending on variables. However, 3-4 times I would run over something that would poke a hole in my rear tire, ruining it at around 4000 miles, so I'd have to replace it. Some people might repair a hole in a motorcycle tire, but not me. If I get a hole in it I get a new one, don't want to take a chance.

My tires for my ST1300 run a little over $115 bucks for the tire. I take the wheel off myself and take it to the local motorcycle shop, where they charge about $35 for changing and balancing. So basically it would cost me around $150 to change a tire. Some bikes will be more expensive, some less. One thing that you want to make sure the bike has is a center stand. My Honda had one from the factory, I'm not sure if an HD does or not. I don't think their big bikes do and not sure about the Sportsters. Center stands makes working or cleaning on a bike much safer and easier. I wouldn't want to work on a bike that I had to prop up and hope it would fall.

http://www.mawonline.com is where I used to buy my tires.

Take you time an consider all your options. As you know, you don't want to rush in and make a rash decision on a big purchase.

Also, I had no problems with Honda finance. As long as you make your payments on time, it's great
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
pricecw
Levergunner 1.0

Post by pricecw »

Blackhawk, I am just about to get new tires on my VTX1300R, I think I have just under 19K on this set.

When I was young, I rode a Yamaha 750 around (teenager, was my Dad's bike), and it had more than enough power, was actually considered a bigger bike at the time. Never once noticed a lack of get up and go, even with a passenger.

When I bought this VTX 5 yrs or so ago (03 of the showroom floor), I really wanted a HD, but they were running 3x the money for the same bike. Prices have dropped on the HD, but I can't convince myself it is worth trading into one, this is a good bike.

Aftermarket parts/accessories are there for the VTX too, so if you want to change the bike up later, it is there for you. I think you have gotten a lot of good advice though, try to sit on and ride the bikes if you can (HD will rent them here), and see what fits you best. Also, the safety course is worth it, especially if you have been off of a bike for a while. I thought it was worth the time, and actually rode my VTX to the class, sometimes it is just nice to pull a refresher.

--Carl
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

I have simple tastes and requirements so a Yamaha 650 V-Star would make me more than happy. I beleive they are made in the US not that it matters to me.

I always thought this WWII BMW clone Ural would be a blast with side-car, 2WD, and reverse, sort of a 3 wheeled Jeep.
DiamondD
Levergunner

Post by DiamondD »

I bought a Yamaha XT 225 a couple of years ago thinking it would be great to ride in the woods, it is, and that I could save some money by riding it back and forth to work. The problem was that I forgot how fun riding a bike could be and a couple of months later I ended up getting a Honda Shadow Spirit 750. These are both great bikes and I ride them a lot, but I have really been eying the Honda XTX1300s here lately. You can go on EBAY and find a VTX brand new, last years model, for less than $7,000 from some of the dealers. I love my Shadow, but I see a VTX in my future.

Snoopin & Shootin,

Dean
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

DAV life member.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Blackhawk wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

Johnny

At 11K miles a year how often are you having to put tires on? I know nothing about motorcycle tires but assume they have a milage rating like vehicle tires? I think I will go over and talk to'em at lunch. He quoted a monthly price of $140, but it was ballpark. I'd still like to stick closer to $100. May go ahead and check out the 750's while I'm there.

Johnny

Johnny
I changed the stock Dunlaps at about 14,000 and could have got lots more out of them....I didn't like the Dumpops and bought Metzlers; they have about 10,000 on them and going strong..maybe have half left..... BUT: I don't burn out or really even ride all that hard...clutches and tires are just too expensive these days to do that stuff.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
JDL
Levergunner 2.0

Post by JDL »

Honda has a plant in Maryville, Ohio that makes most of their bikes. I ride a VT1000T aka Shadow ACE tourer 1100 cc, which I'm crazy about. Although I get 46 MPG, two tires are going to run me over $600 when mounted. My advice is to find a cycle that has a common tire size so you can find them a little less expensive.
JDL
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I forgot to add, that I would be good if you bought a bike with mag wheels, not spoke. That way if you get a flat out in the middle of nowhere, you can use your plug kit and a compressor/inflation unit to at least repair it till you can get to a shop.

Sounds like something in the 750 range might be just what you arel looking for. The 750 shadow might be just the ticket.

Good luck on whatever you get. The safety course is a good idea, however State Farm doesn't give you a discount, at least, I didn't get one and I just completed it a month ago.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

I'm not a real bike guy, but I was thinking of getting one of these for town, as long as I can put bags on it somehow. Any feedback or comments would be appreciated from those in the know:

Honda Nighthawk 250
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

it would get the job done but that bike has drum brakes...not the best if you got to stop in a hurry.
pete
DAV life member.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

txpete wrote:it would get the job done but that bike has drum brakes...not the best if you got to stop in a hurry.
pete
Yep. That's about the on;y "bad" thing about that bike. Great in town scoot without the scooter stigma.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

All the 883's have pretty much been sold out of my area so I'm looking at a 1200 now. :|

I know the Hondas are great machines I just can't get the fact out of my head that I'm not buying American. Yeah the HD's are more money in the long run but I'd rather try to stimulate our econmy rather than do that on foreign soil.

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Blackhawk wrote:All the 883's have pretty much been sold out of my area so I'm looking at a 1200 now. :|

I know the Hondas are great machines I just can't get the fact out of my head that I'm not buying American. Yeah the HD's are more money in the long run but I'd rather try to stimulate our econmy rather than do that on foreign soil.
I am not convinced that the Global Economy - especially those ties we have between Germany & Japan - are a bad thing.

In many, very real, ways, the Japanese are our "younger cousins". They are where they are becuse of what we bled for and taught them. They are our more (better?) capitalistic relatives.

I have no issues with Japanese products.

China/Mexico, OTOH..... :|
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Old Ironsights wrote:In many, very real, ways, the Japanese are our "younger cousins". They are where they are because of what we bled for and taught them. They are our more (better?) capitalistic relatives.

Good point, and agreed.

scott
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

txpete wrote:it would get the job done but that bike has drum brakes...not the best if you got to stop in a hurry.
pete
As light as that bike is, is it really an issue??? Would Honda purposely under-engineer the braking system?

scott
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

RSY wrote:
pete
As light as that bike is, is it really an issue??? Would Honda purposely under-engineer the braking system?

scott
I put Disc brakes on BICYCLES... Drum brakes are not a good thing IMO. Yes, they worked on cars/trucks for a zilion years - but Disc brakes are light years better. I can't fathom why Honda would use Drums on a motorcycle.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

If you have a question as to why you should buy a H-D....then please don't buy one, 'cause then you don't get it.

Rice burners are nice for those that aren't into it, at least it is riding.
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I like Honda atv/motorcycles, and have for awhile. I don't like their cars, go figure.

But, you don't have to ride a HD to "get it".

Ji, that bike is exactly the kind of thing to get you to stand out in the crowd, in a very cool way. 8)
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

Old Ironsights wrote:I put Disc brakes on BICYCLES... Drum brakes are not a good thing IMO. Yes, they worked on cars/trucks for a zilion years - but Disc brakes are light years better. I can't fathom why Honda would use Drums on a motorcycle.
OI, you answered your own question.

Q: why Honda would use Drums on a motorcycle
A: they worked on cars/trucks for a zilion years

I try not to delve into the minds of engineers too much, nothing pretty ever comes from it. :shock:
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

RSY wrote:
pete

scott
scott it is the bottom line on the price...i.e. cheaper to have drum brakes.it is a starter bike but that said you can get the most out of them if you know how.one thing for sure in heavy braking they will fade...trust me :D
DAV life member.
flhroy
Levergunner

Post by flhroy »

Blackhawk buying a motorcycle is kind of like buying a firearm. How are you going to use it. You would no more buy a long barreled rifle for carry then you would a 3 inch Kimber for elk hunting. If all you're going to use your bike for is to ride to work and back 650cc's should be just fine. There are soft leather saddle bags on the market that fill work on any bike out there. Just make sure when you mount them that there's no way for them to get fouled in your rear wheel. Pretty sure you'll want to put some type of wind screen on too. If you're going to buy a new one I think you're going to find that when they're equally equiped they pretty much cost the same. If you buy used an import probably will cost less. Another thing to keep in mind is a used sport bike (crotch rocket) was probably ridden pretty hard. Also don't let drum brakes stop you from buying a bike. One of the most sevre demands of a braking system happen on big trucks desending long downhill grades. You might see some in Europe, I don't know but I've yet to see disc brakes on a semi here in North America. No matter what you get Blackhawk please take a rider ed. class. Something like 70 or 80 percent of motorcycle fatalities were riders with less then 6 months riding experience and no formal training and none of us want to see you become a statistic.

Take care and ride safe.

Roy

ps buy a couple of cycle trade magazines off the news rack to see whats out there and how much they're selling for

:)

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/ ... an0023.jpg
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i109/ ... an0001.jpg
Take Care
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

flhroy wrote:One of the most severe demands of a braking system happen on big trucks descending long downhill grades.
That's true, but they also have to build things like this near where I went to college:

scott
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Time Hunter wrote:If you have a question as to why you should buy a H-D....then please don't buy one, 'cause then you don't get it.

Rice burners are nice for those that aren't into it, at least it is riding.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
S.B.
Levergunner 2.0

Post by S.B. »

You guys and your motorcycle talk, remind me of the recent graduates from the H.S. Drivers Education Class? They all ride 50cc Honda scooters.
barbarossa
Senior Levergunner

Post by barbarossa »

Heres mine
will2002
Levergunner

Post by will2002 »

If you are going for fuel savings ya can`t beat a 883 :!: I have been riding Harleys for years and still have a 1200 sporty and a Ultra Classic (bagger). I love the Harleys and would not want anything else at this point in my life. However I do know if I wasn`t going it ride a Harley, my next choice would one of the Yamahas in the Star lineup. They are REALLY fine machines. Check them out before ya buy. But you will NEVER go wrong with a H-D, even a 883 :D
I can read the writing, I just can`t write the reading!
Blackhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Blackhawk »

Old Ironsights wrote:
Blackhawk wrote:All the 883's have pretty much been sold out of my area so I'm looking at a 1200 now. :|

I am not convinced that the Global Economy - especially those ties we have between Germany & Japan - are a bad thing.

In many, very real, ways, the Japanese are our "younger cousins". They are where they are becuse of what we bled for and taught them. They are our more (better?) capitalistic relatives.

OI,

I can or will not argue with that. I bought a Honda VT750C. I can live with the fact that its made in Japan and assemblied in the states. Its cost fit my budget a heck of a lot better than the HD. Price difference is unbelievable. The dealer at HD was a jerk in person when it came to talking finances and so was the finacial lady. I backed out on the deal for their lack on interest in wanting to deal with me or negotiate. I got less money in the Honda and less in a better coverage of insurance as well. Thus far I am pleased with the purchase. I will try to report on the fule milage when I get more miles on it.

Take care.

OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I've had this 1977 R100S BMW for 32 years now and it's my 16th and best bike I've owned - it was the first 1000ccc Beemer, the first Beemer to do the 1/4 mile in under 13 seconds and top 120 MPH on the level (I ran out of courage at 110 but wasn't out of throttle). It was also the last Beemer without emission controls added and gets 55 MPG +/- 2 yes - with mods such as dual electronic ignition system, rejetting (my rides are 6000' to 12.00' above sea level), stiffened suspension, etc.

I've had the same wife nearly that long and she's also in the top class by herself - I just try to be deserving of her (and the bike). :wink:

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

Blackhawk wrote:
Old Ironsights wrote:

OI,

I can or will not argue with that. I bought a Honda VT750C. I can live with the fact that its made in Japan and assemblied in the states. Its cost fit my budget a heck of a lot better than the HD. Price difference is unbelievable. The dealer at HD was a jerk in person when it came to talking finances and so was the finacial lady. I backed out on the deal for their lack on interest in wanting to deal with me or negotiate. I got less money in the Honda and less in a better coverage of insurance as well. Thus far I am pleased with the purchase. I will try to report on the fule milage when I get more miles on it.

Take care.
congrads on the new scooter.nothing wrong with a honda you got a nice bike.post some pics if you can.
just watch out for the idiots out there and be safe.
pete
DAV life member.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Blackhawk wrote:
The dealer at HD was a jerk in person when it came to talking finances and so was the finacial lady. I backed out on the deal for their lack on interest in wanting to deal with me or negotiate.
Sounds like a typical introduction into the Wonderful World of Harley Davidson...!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams