Serial numbering

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Serial numbering

Post by Ysabel Kid »

If memory serves me, serial numbers became mandatory with the 1968 Gun Control Act. Or was it the "National Firearms Act" of 1934 (I don't think so).

Anyway, I know many firearms manufacturers placed them on guns going back into the middle of the 1800's - fortunately for us collectors! So, how does this relate to leverguns?

Question - did Winchester put serial numbers on all the levers they produced, going back to the "Improved Henry" (Model 1866)?

Question - slightly "OT" - who was the first manufacturer to place serial numbers on firearms and when? I don't know - this isn't a quiz, I would love to find out and I'm too lazy to research it, so I'm hoping one of you knowledgeable gents will know! :D
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I think Winchester numbered all his guns, even the Henry's. I dont know it for a fact but its what I think. :wink:

I bet serial numbers came along with mass production in a big way.
Colt was probably among the first. Thats a tough one to research. I bet some gunmakers numbered guns before the industrial revolution but once a company could make thousands a year numbering would become something real useful for a manufacturer.
jengel
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jengel »

I know for a fact that Winchester did not serial number all of their guns. I own a 90% Winchester 67a boys rifle that does not have one. I will go out on a limb here and say that all centerfire rifles did have a number.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by coyote nose »

defintiely required in 1968 GCA, most manufacturers already were using them, altho lower cost 22's were often not numbered. Henrys were numbered usually inside the gun on the tang, and everywhere else. Even the BUTTPLATE screws on henrys had the serial number :shock: !!!!. Colt pattersons were numbered, and they were made beginning in 1836, so it at least goes back that far.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
Leverdude
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverdude »

I should have said all centerfire lever actions, as thats what I meant.
Most didn't serialize rimfires until they had to.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

According to Madis, the Henry rifles were numbered beginning with number 1 and running to 14,000. The Winchester Model 1866 began production at Henry number 12,000.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

My experience is that a lot of manufacturers didn't number their firearms until they had to ('68 GCA). It's a real pain in the LE world trying to identify a weapon found in the hands of no good and prove it's stolen. Then get it back to the rightful owner. It's really disheartening to be holding onto an old firearm that you know has a ton of history and possible sentimental value to someone and you can't connect.

It's times like this I think we should still lop off a hand of anyone caught stealing or in possession of stolen property. They'd only have two chances. :D
Old Law Dawg
PPpastordon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by PPpastordon »

I have read that old European manufactures, even small (individual) gun makers marked numbers on their weapons. I do not know if it was a "serial number" but I remember a wheel-lock a friend had that was from the 1600's (IIRC) that was numbered.
PPpastordon
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Marlin has always numbered all their lever action rifles since the beginning, but did not number their inexpensive .22 bolts, etc. until 1968 when it was required.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

15th Century Chinese & Japanese handcannons were said to have serial (?) number(s) on them.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

kimwcook wrote:
It's times like this I think we should still lop off a hand of anyone caught stealing or in possession of stolen property. They'd only have two chances. :D
I have no problem with that at all! If someone stole my guns - and I caught them - I think I'd go Comanche on them!!! :twisted: