Way OT - Favorite Caribbean Resorts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Way OT - Favorite Caribbean Resorts?

Post by cshold »

Any of you guys that do a cruise from time to time,
or travel to the Caribbean islands, have any
favorites? Looking for some recommendations for
an island and resort.

Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Most of my trips to the Carribean has been on ministry construction trips and no where near a resort. Beautiful places, but just hot, dirty work for me. Sleep on a cot and bath in a mountain stream. Good way to see what life is really like down there when you live among the people. Wife and I did go to Jamaica two years ago and stayed at the Rio Rui in Ocho Rios, Jamaica, which was fantastic. I would rate it better than the Sandals which was next door. The Rio Rui, like Sandals, is an all inclusive resort and I would go back in a heart beat except there are too many others places I have not seen. Lots of stuff to see and do in Jamaica. Do a Google search for more info. Other family and friends have enjoyed and recommend St. Lucia and I would like to go there. These were fly down trips and not a cruise. With a cruise, you will just do short shopping trips and excursions at several ports of call.
Zack
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Not an Island but one of the nicest places to vacation is Belize. Beautiful beaches, and wonderful people. Americans are not snubbed there.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

rjohns94 wrote:Not an Island but one of the nicest places to vacation is Belize. Beautiful beaches, and wonderful people. Americans are not snubbed there.
I'll second that. I've been to Belize several times. There's an island off shore that's part of the reef called San Pedro. Cool little island. kinda primitive but there is a lot to do if you're into fishing and diving.

When I was a kid I spent a lot of time sailing the carribean with my Dad. The Virgin Islands are beautiful but aren't what they used to be.

My Dad's been sailing the Carribean full time for the last three years. So far his favorite places have been the Dominican Republic, Grenada and Trinidad/ Tobago.
However we tend to favor the more primitive, out of the way places.

My brother in law put up a website with phots starting from Lake Erie all the way to the Southern Carib. www.sailstheworld.com. It's a little unorganized right now. The Old Man is home for the summer for knee surgery. So he'll have lots of time to work on it while he's laid up. :)

Dominica was very unfriendly as were a couple others. I'll have to find out which ones they were.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Kansas Ed
Senior Levergunner

Post by Kansas Ed »

We just spent our 20th on St. Maarten/St. Martin this February. If you like beaches, it's a really nice place. The Island is half Dutch, half French, and is pretty popular with tourists in general. Many go there for the jewelry, but most of the jewelry is seconds on the precious stones so understand that going in. Groceries and Gas are high, but entertainment is cheap, and if you are looking for a peaceful getaway just to kick back on a free/remote beach somewhere it's a pretty good place. The water is very warm, and crystal clear azure blue.

We would go back today if we had the vacation time. Stay away from Orient beach though, as it's the most touristy place on the island...it's also "clothing optional" at one end, and trust me...the folks who should have been clothed weren't, and the folks who could have been nude weren't....my eyes still hurt and I get this queasy feeling just thinking about it....

The rest of the island is great though. We stayed at the Wyndham Sapphire Beach Club, and I would suggest that you find a resort in that area should you go. Lots of little beaches all around the island, and each one has it's own unique flair.

Ed

Bay Longue below.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Grand Cayman. My wife and I honeymooned there 19 years ago next week, and visited it again on a cruise almost 14 years ago. It is a beautiful island - beach-wise and the water is crystal clear. It is small - about 7 miles long - and pretty flat, so none of the rain-forest or mountainous terrain like some of the other islands. A little more expensive than some, but nobody begging or panhandling. When the Jamaican islands voted for independence from British rule in the 60's the three Cayman Islands said "no way!" and stayed a crown colony. They enjoy the highest standard of living of any of the Caribbean islands today.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I wonder what vacation is really like!....
God...its been 10 years or so.....anyway...
I used to go windsurfing and scuba diving in Aruba
very laid back....and not to crowded

Florida keys are pretty cool....if you like fishing and
scuba diving....
longhair1957
Levergunner 2.0

Post by longhair1957 »

We are more of the Hawaiian Island people, But have thought of next year going to Roatan on the West end and staying at this rental:
http://www.vrbo.com/104801
Roatan has one of the biggest living reefs other than the Great Barrier reef. Beautiful waters, and secluded. very resoanable prices, look at some of the other places offered in Roatan, they have the huts on stilts over the water for very reasonable prices as well.

http://tropicalrez.com/
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

My best friend at work goes on cruises all the time because his wife is a travel agent and cruises are her specialty.

If you'd like to talk to her send me an e-mail and I'll forward it to her.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

After seeing the picture of Chuck 100 yd’s 76 Chaparel,
the one I had to pass up. :(
I have decided I am picking the island the beach and the resort.
Now what beach is it that they have the hottest most scantly
clad woman on :wink: 8)
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Not a vacation, but 2 weeks TDY in Belize City and played all over the country....nice people, great sights, the Mayan temples and ruins are wonderful and the beachs are great. There are several little Keys you can transport to for scuba, snorkle, fishing.........I was there in early 90s, so I guess I can't underwrite the conditions now.......
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Post by adirondakjack »

Depends on how much ya wanna spend.

St. Martin is great, but not cheap.

For the other end of the $$$ scale, but the same great sun and sand, I love The Dominican Republic. My son and I rented motorcycles and rode all over the country. People were very friendly, (but traffic was shall we say, challenging, in a motocross meets blood sports sort of way) A little less "high tone" than the down island places, but to me, a lot more fun.
Certified gun nut
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

My wife and I honeymooned at a Club Med in Antigua - that was 10 years ago this upcoming July. The island was great, people were freindly, and everything was in English. The exact resort we stayed at, I beleive was leveled in hurricane later on that same year, but I am sure it was re-built by someone.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
slowhandscotty
Levergunner

Post by slowhandscotty »

My wife and I have had good luck with Iberostar resorts. http://www.iberostar.com/EN/home.html We've been to Cozumel Mexico and Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic at the Bavaro resort. Both were great places. We really liked the Dominican Republic though.
-Scott
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

There's a chain of "everything included" resorts call "Decameron" (IIRC) that has options all over the Caribbean. Colombia's San Andrés island is a beautiful spot. We hope to get over there one of these days (years). OK. I checked real quick, here's the link:

http://www.decameron.com/

You get hotel, food and drink for one price. They've got several hotels on San Andrés and you can stay in one but eat in others (to try out the different menus and such) at no extra cost. My wife was there back when she graduated from High School. Her folks sent her on a senior trip with her classmates. Someday we hope to make it over there again.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Cruise? Whassat? I'm lucky if I can allot enough money to go hunting (unguided) once a year...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!