GP .45 Colt bullet

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

GP .45 Colt bullet

Post by J Miller »

For some time now I've been looking for a source of a bullet to be used as a general purpose, all around bullet for my various .45 Colts. I'm tired of not having a consistent supply of bullets. I seem to have a bit of this and a bit of that, but none I really like. Even the Keith bullets are hit or miss any more.

I have narrowed it down to one design, but I have no idea who might make or sell it.

This, or something similar is my "dream" bullet:

As you can see it has a nice big meplat for punching holes and a nice tapered ogive that would feed in every kind of rifle I can foresee using it in. It also has a flat base and a large lube grove.
I do not know who makes this bullet, I had the pic on my hard drive, and it's listed as a 454 at 275 grs. That's too heavy.
What I need is a bullet like this one, sized to .454", weighing no more than 260grs, with wheel weights or 20-1 alloy.

Does anybody know of any such bullet? Please don't recommend the normal run of the mill production RNFPs. They are unacceptable for many reasons.

I'm not set up to cast at this time, so a mold will not do me any good. I'm looking for someone who might these for sale.

Any ideas?

Joe
Last edited by J Miller on Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
smilinbob
Levergunner

Post by smilinbob »

Try Beartooth Bullets
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

smilinbob wrote:Try Beartooth Bullets
smilinbob,
Thanks for the suggestion. Their 255gr bullet is what I want, but at $18.00 per 100 they are way out of my price range.
I've also done business with Beartooth before and although excellent bullets, they are harder than wood pecker lips, so they'd be too hard for my needs.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

J Miller wrote: they are harder than wood pecker lips
That must be dang Hard..! :lol:
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Idiot
Levergunner 3.0

General Purpose 45 Colt for All Velcotiy Ranges

Post by Idiot »

J Miller, the bullet you show is an ogival wad cutter of LBT type design. Would this bullet design really work at all 45 Colt velocities? The design has proven very effective once velocities creep up into the upper end of those shot out of the NM Ruger Blackhawks. But because a lot of the bullet weight is in the nose of the bullet, low velocity loads, like those for Colt SAA and Ruger's New Vaquero, don't always provide adequate bullet stabilization. This of course can result in poor accuracy.

May I suggest a good Keith style semi-wad cutter bullet. I am currently experimenting with the Dave Scovill developed 270 grain SAA bullet available from Mt. Baldy Bullets (45/270 SAA) http://www.mtbaldybullets.com/asp/products.asp

You can find a picture of it on the RCBS website.

I went through the same thing you are going through with a 44 Magnum. After a lot of experiment, I settled on a Keith style semi-wad cutter bullet. It's accurate throughout the 44 caliber velocity range and hits hard at the target. That's about all one could ask from a general purpose bullet.
Last edited by Idiot on Thu May 29, 2008 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

It looks like Montana Bullet Works has exactly what you're looking for sized all the way out to .454, although might be a bit more than you want to pay. In this day and age with metal prices how they are, we're going to have to pay more.

It is what it is..!

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444 wrote:
Marshall Stanton, the owner of Beartooth, has developed an excellent balance in alloys and lubes, and produces a very hard bullet.
For high performance they are hard to beat.

I've had a S&W 25-5 with over sized throats, they slug out at .457", since 1983. It's a leading fiend with any bevel based bullet, and any flat based bullet under about 455".
I discussed this with Marshall Stanton and he made me some of his 265gr Keith SWCs sized to .457" as an experiment for the Smith. I loaded them over 9.0grs of Unique and for 100 glorious rounds I had a lead free, accurate S&W. His bullets are wonderful, but not for folks such as me on tight budgets.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

deerwhacker444,
I looks like all of your post had not downloaded or you edited it when I posted my last comment.

Take a look at the hardness (22) of those bullets, that's twice as hard as I need them. Wheel weights or 20-1 is around 9 to 11 or so on the scale.
You're right about the price, it's steep.

Idiot,
I've been shooting Keith type bullets for over 30 years. Even have several molds for them. But none of them will work in all types of rifles. For instance, they won't feed right through the 1860, 1866, and 1873 designs. That is one of my goals, to have general purpose bullet that will feed in anything. I can use the Keiths for when I get serious. I could use the Ideal 454190 mold I have, but I wanted a bigger meplat. So I'm searching.
I've not tried LBT bullets before. As I said I didn't know who made it. So they don't do well at standard velocities. Hmmmm, that complicates things don't it?

I have 50 of the RCBS 270 SAA bullets as cast by Montana Bullet Works to play with. Unfortunately what ever alloy they used cast out at 280grs rather than 270. So even for my serious loads they are a bit too heavy.

I suspect that if I end up stuck with the Keith bullets I have trouble finding a consistent supply of 255 to 260gr bullets. They all seem to be heavier, or sized to small.

Arrrgh

Joe
gon2shoot
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gon2shoot »

jmiller,
Its hard to find a commerically cast bullet without the "woodpecker lip" problem. I have a 255 gr. mould that looks a lot like your dream bullet, but you're not looking to roll yer own yet.

You might try Tennesse Valley bullets, I haven't tried any of his but he has a good rep, and will cast the alloy you want.
Good luck.
grit yer teeth an pull the trigger
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I get mine from Mt. Baldy bullets. I am using the Keith for cast and jacketed for all other. Now, I know that's not what your mind is set on but it is my solution. You're absolutely right about the current fetish for hard as nails cast bullets. I have used the LBT 260 gr. from Cast Performance in my New Vaquero over 9 gr. of Unique and I thought the accuracy was adequate. It did well in the 92, too.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
mike454
Levergunner

Post by mike454 »

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hobie,
It looks as if I keep being swung back around to the Keith bullets. But the problem remains, consistency and now it looks like cost will put me out the running too.
Joey not be rich or famous.

OK Mike, that's the critter in my picture all right. But e-gads look at the price! $24.75 per 100. For that price I could go to all jacketed and have all the consistency I want.

Wow, I guess I opened a pandoras box for myself didn't I?

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

gon2shoot wrote:jmiller,
Its hard to find a commerically cast bullet without the "woodpecker lip" problem. I have a 255 gr. mould that looks a lot like your dream bullet, but you're not looking to roll yer own yet.

You might try Tennesse Valley bullets, I haven't tried any of his but he has a good rep, and will cast the alloy you want.
Good luck.
I still have all my casting equipment from 20 years ago packed away. It might still work. Although finding enough lead around here will be all but impossible.

Will check out Tennesse Valley bullets.

Joe
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Tennessee Valley only lists bevel based bullets. They are on my "not a chance" list.

Mt Baldy bullets are out of my price league.

Well guys, it looks like when my loaded ammo is gone and the bullets I have stashed are loaded and gone, I'm in deep poo. Unless my wife wins the lotto.
I'm not gonna pay $20.00+ per 100 bullets. THAT is not gonna happen.

Joe
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Joe,

With lead prices continuing to rise and no real end in sight, you will be in big poo. Big poo won't be too bad, if you can shoot lead bullets. "They" don't want you to do that. See Kalifornia. :roll:

Seriously, if I were you I'd utilize your creative engineering and get that casting equipment up and running.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
jerry b
Levergunner 1.0

Post by jerry b »

I get my general purpose 255 gr swc cast bullets from MidStates Cast Bullets. OK, they're bevel based. I will tell you that they are dandy indeed in my Rugers over a variety of powders and loads. The rifle likes them OK, too. I have zero complaint about the product, and they are as reasonable as you'll find.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

Compared to it's peak (~$1.75) in Oct 07, lead has tanked. It closed at $.86 today. Mr. Miller is not off base to be expecting to start to see some reductions in pricing, although once something gets jacked up, it rarely gets jacked back down again. I'll join the chorus and squall like a cat caught in the radiator fan, if prices keep going up with lead going down.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Joe,

That's a tough one. The Hornady 250 gr. swaged bullet might be an option. I bought a box of 200 about a year ago at the local Gander Mountain store for $22.00. You may be able to find some at reasonable $ at a store near you. These bullets shot just fine in my Marlin Cowboy @ 1,200 f.p.s.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... t=11082005

Another option - scroll down to the .45 250 gr. Lyman - decent price but alloy is #2 which could mean 16 bhn OR the old #2 which is a tin lead alloy at 10 b.h.n. A call to them would verify which one.
http://westernbullet.com/cbip/cbip.html

And lastly, maybe it's time to pull the trigger on the 'big lube" bullet.
At $26 for 250, that's not too bad + shipping by usps in a flat rate box ( $10.00) You can get up to 750 shipped for that amount. THey are made from 25/1 lead tin...in other words, soft.
http://www.whyteleatherworks.com/Accessory%20page.htm
scroll down the page to see the PRS 45 250 gr.

Good luck,
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
NonPCnraRN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by NonPCnraRN »

Try the Penn 45 cal 270 gr Thunderhead. It has a meplat of .443". :shock:
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

deerwhacker444 wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Eh... how 'bout these:

Image .45 (250 gr.) RNFP .452 1,000 $89
"These prices include USPS priority box, flat rate shipment."

CB Bullets

or these:

250 gr hardcast .452 from Buffalo Brothers Company, # 902 250 Gr RNFP* .452 $50.61 .45 Colt 16#/box
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Lots of good choices, some better than others. Most of the bullets I see are too hard. I would like to try the Hornady bullets. I've heard good things about them from several people, just got to get around to it.

Here is one that was recommended to me over on Handloads.com:
Stonewall Bullet
http://www.marlinowners.com/forums/inde ... 847.0.html

He has a bullet that's pretty close to what I want, not too hard and the price is decent compared to some I've seen.

Joe
Levergunner 2.0

Post by .45 »

Try High Plains Shooters Supply. I picked up a flyer from them at a gun show not to long ago and they list a 250 grain rnfp @ $5.25 per 100. Nice guys and they said they would make just about anything you want.

http://highplainsshooterssupply.com/
sore shoulder
Advanced Levergunner

Post by sore shoulder »

Leverluver wrote:I'll join the chorus and squall like a cat caught in the radiator fan, .
I've actually heard that a couple times. One survived it. :lol:
"He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance." Declaration of Independance, July 4, 1776
11B30
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

sore shoulder wrote:
Leverluver wrote:I'll join the chorus and squall like a cat caught in the radiator fan, .
I've actually heard that a couple times. One survived it. :lol:
OUCH, and YUCK!!!! We find cat fur under the hood of my wifes truck all the time. I keep telling her to do what I do, honk the horn before you start the thing. So far no sliced and diced kitties.

Joe