38-55 Brass Length

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Retro Guy
Levergunner

38-55 Brass Length

Post by Retro Guy »

Why did W-W shorten up the 38-55 brass to 2.082" from the original length of 2.125"? I'm using the longer Starline brass in my new Winchester Legacy and have been very pleased with results, but now I'm curious as to what length I should be using. I have some of the shorter W-W brass but it doesn't load up well with a cast bullet sized to .379". The bullet is clearly off center and there is resistance when chambering.

I'm wondering what length is recommended. Thanks.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Apparently Winchester being the only remaining producer of .38-55 brass felt that it was better for the bottom line to go to the shorter brass. I use the long brass when available. Got my latest from Starline.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Who has used both case lengths and what were the accuracy differences between the two if any?
Old Law Dawg
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

I have and accuracy differences are imperceptible in properly loaded ammo. However, chamber cleaning, ballistic performance, and some intangibles such as satisfaction are problematic with the short brass. YMMV

PS I should add that some have found that .381" cast bullets will function in their guns better in the long cases. There have been other posts here on that subject.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

If one is loading for a Marlin CB .38-55 use the 2.125" Starline brass. Do not have the chamber opened up! Use the Starline stuff and you will be able to load up to .382" bullets without issue. These are great shooting rifles that wear super, Badger in some cases, barrels. 1886.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Near as I can tell, the change took place in the late 60's early 70's...for what reason, I do not know.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian