Browning 1886 Rifle 45-70?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Browning 1886 Rifle 45-70?

Post by rangerider7 »

I went by my local gun shop after church this morning and he showed me a like new Browning 1886 45-70 rifle octagon barrel. He wanted 1179.00 or near that. It has a few safe scratches. He said it was unfired. I don't need one but it is tempting. Hows the price? :?
"That'll Be The Day"
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

from what ive seen them priced at, i'd probably buy it.
g rice
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Sounds like a pretty fair price to me. It's about what you see them for up here when they show up. If your really thinking about a new 45-70 86 let me know. I thinking very seriously about putting my NIB Winchester 1886 OBPGCBFM takedown up for sale. I feel another original calling my name but will have to thin the herd a bit first.
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

1886 Browning Octagon

Post by brucew44guns »

I ordered a Br. 86 about a year before they issued them, got it in early 1986 and paid 479.00 NIB. But the price you just quoted for that one you saw is in line with many I've seen here and there lately. That is one remarkable rifle, I've fired mine a few times, but it just has a heft, size, and look of "business" about it that convinces me I will never sell it. I have the SRC still virgin setting next to it. Get the gun, if it is unfired or about ASNIB and really primo, you will be glad you did it, especially 5 years from now and you see them for 1800.00. Maybe you could ofer him 1100.00, lay the cash down on the bench and see what he does.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

that price is close to what I paid, thinking I paid 1200 (for an SRC)a few months ago. I love mine. If you are considering one, then you should pull the trigger. They shoot and function like a dream. My favorite 45-70 rifle to date.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

They are very nice rifles:

Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

Finest piece of work I've owned. Gave $1200 for my rifle a yr. ago in very near new cond. It would take a lot more for me to part with it.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I've seen them sell for a good deal more than that, and doubt you'll find one for less. Make him an offer and see where it goes.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I'd be surprised if it is still there at that price!
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Yup,sounds like a very good price for my neck of the woods.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

That price is just right. That rifle is just right.

Mine was $1650 (OTD) with $450 worth of MVA sights, which puts it right where yours is.

(See Avatar)
Chad
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

I'd say the price is in the ballpark. If you are unsure if you want to keep the gun in its original configuration, you can always modify it. Malamute, on this forum, made a superb short rifle out of his that, in my opinion, helps to make the rifle more portable and fast.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yep, Malamute made a heck of a rifle.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

The problem is I already have an old Winchester 1886 rifle and a 1886 lightweight in 33 cal. I shoot the LW much more than the rifle. The rifle is a 90% 38-56 made in 1888. I thought this was a good price but I really don't need it but I love 86s and 92s. :? I guess I'll see what he will trade for.
"That'll Be The Day"
Jarhead
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jarhead »

What a beautiful rifle! Wish I could get one, but I just bought another Model 71, so I'm out of the game for awhile... :cry:
Semper Fi
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I bought a delux takedown 1886 NIB, Miroku Manufacture and paid $1600.00. To me it was worth it, it is a beautiful rifle and is a great shooter . I'll use it for hunting. I don't have safe queens, I have working guns. So in response to your question, I think it probably is a good price.

I saw and original 71 in a gun shop today that was nice but had been used alot and they wanted $1200.00

Whaever it is worth to you is the question. Good luck.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Is there a difference price wise in the JapChester 1886EL and the BrownChester you're talking about? I got my JapChester 1886EL for 850 IIRC....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

It's a sin to patronize a gun shop, and then actually buy a rifle on a Sunday !
But, I'm proud of you - You've done the right thing !

Now, where was that gun shop ? ( I wanna chastize them. :roll: )
Paul Jenkins
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Paul Jenkins »

I think my Browning '86, .45-70 is the finest piece of rifle workmanship I have ever owned. I gave $1250 for my used , but near new 2 yrs. ago. I did have to do work on the trigger. I can get under 1" at 100yds more often than not. Buy it quick. It will also handle any load your man enough to handle.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I think it's a good price and you should do whatever to pick it up. I paid $1,450 for my Winnie/Miroku '86 in 45-90 last year. So I think the price of the Browning is a good price.
Old Law Dawg
Naphtali
Levergunner 2.0

Slightly off topic

Post by Naphtali »

There are references in this thread to Miroku M1886 and Browning M1886. I understand Miroku is the manufacturer. Are these M1886s the same as USRA M1886s? If not, please identify the differences.
It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it. Sam Levinson
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Slightly off topic

Post by Grizzly Adams »

Naphtali wrote:There are references in this thread to Miroku M1886 and Browning M1886. I understand Miroku is the manufacturer. Are these M1886s the same as USRA M1886s? If not, please identify the differences.
Short version!

The Browning 1886s were produced by Browning in the mid 80s. They were actually manufactured by Miruku in Japan. They are very close to the original Winchester 1886 in terms of having the half cock safety, and no rebounding hammer. They are of excellent quality.

The USRAC/Winchester 1886 was, and remains, a limited edition, and sometimes uncatalogued item. As of late, most have been available from Davidson's. These are also manufactured by Miruku in Japan. They differ from the Browning marked 1886 by the addition of a tang safety and a rebounding hammer. They have also been available in take down versions, and well as the 45-90 chambering. Those options were never available on the Browning rifles. They have also produced the 1886 in an EL or Extra Light variation. As with everything made by Miruku, the quality is excellent!
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

you can always fix it up the way i did mine years ago; started with one of the brownings and made it my favorite rifle in terms of looks, handling, and function overall:

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... light=1886

or see it here:

cable
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

With probably less than 100 rounds, my USRAC 1886EL has had a half dozen light strikes and FTFs.......How hard is it to replace the rebounding hammer/half cock feature?? This could be my favorite shooter if it were not for that.....maybe a canadate for conversion to 50-110 at the same time?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

hfcable wrote:you can always fix it up the way i did mine years ago; started with one of the brownings and made it my favorite rifle in terms of looks, handling, and function overall:

or see it here:

looks like treebone's checkerd buttplate.
g rice
Pathfinder09
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pathfinder09 »

I had several light strikes when I first took it out, but did not have any this last weekend, where I put 40 rounds through it. Shot flawlessly and darn accurate at 100 yds with the original iron sights. I have the USRAC rifle also, rebopunding hammer aand tang safety. I've got about 80 rounds through her now.

8)
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

gary rice wrote:
hfcable wrote:you can always fix it up the way i did mine years ago; started with one of the brownings and made it my favorite rifle in terms of looks, handling, and function overall:

or see it here:

looks like treebone's checkerd buttplate.
actually it is an old original buttplate, never used, that i had found for the project, but may be exactly the same anyway.
cable
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Hey! It's Wed. and I haven't pics of your "new" rifle... did ya wait too long?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

Sorry for the hijack....

hfcable,

How long is the barrel on your custom '86? It looks like you lopped off 2 or 4 inches. I just recently traded into an original '86 in the same configuration but a 26" barrel. I think a half octagon button mag in 22" or 24" would be just about perfect.
Chad
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

it is 24" and i think they shortened it to get rid of the front magazine dovetail, and also because the pictures from madis winchester book that i asked them to copy were this lenght. it balances superbly!
cable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

A B 86 would tough to pass up. In fact I would buy it. 1886.
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Cable,

I love that rifle. Neat to the extreme. I might have to do one but I won't checker the stocks and I'll get a steel Lyman receiver sight for it... :wink:

Naphtali,

Brownings don't have the rebounding hammer or tang safety the Winchesters made by Miroku have. That's the differences.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

Hobie wrote:Cable,

I love that rifle. Neat to the extreme. I might have to do one but I won't checker the stocks and I'll get a steel Lyman receiver sight for it... :wink:

Naphtali,

Brownings don't have the rebounding hammer or tang safety the Winchesters made by Miroku have. That's the differences.
my buddy and I just picked out pictures in the madis book of a few that we liked and had the guy copy it, checkering and all; there are a number of options including receiver sights that would look good and work well, though for looks and authenticity i would get a repro 'climin' lyman' receiver sight if i were going that way; they really look good and work well [at least originals do].
you ought to go for it!
cable
MikeNV
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MikeNV »

How does the Browning 1886 45-70 shoot the 405gr cast or jacketed bullets? I had heard that they did well with the 300gr bullets but was that great with the heavier ones.... but I want to hear from current owners.

Thanks
Last edited by MikeNV on Thu May 15, 2008 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

MikeNV wrote:How does the Browning 1886 45-70 shoot the 405gr cast or jacketed bullets? I had heard that they did well with the 300gr bullets but was that great with the heavier ones.... but I want to heard from current owner

Thanks
I have had super results with the Cast Permormance 460gr WFN. 1886.
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Cable, you've done a gorgeous job on your '86. First class!
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
hfcable
Advanced Levergunner

Post by hfcable »

thanks Kirk; and it is a real shooter with most any bullet weight; handles 400 grainers at 2000 fps, though this is not something i want to do frequently!
cable