Marlin Saddle Ring

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Marlin Saddle Ring

Post by Palmtreee »

Salvo, set me up with a nice saddle ring for my 1894. Thought I would share his great work.
November
Levergunner

Post by November »

Nice! Looks original.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

That's also one sharp lookin checkering job on the stock.
I like :)
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 1894 »

Ready for a saddle ring sling now :wink:

Phil
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Sweet! Was that something you installed, or did you send the gun to salvo?

I like the larger lever loop on that weapon as well! :D
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Just sent the parts to Salvo and he sent them back, he is good. The lever is a DRC for the 1894. I am getting ready to send it out to be converted to 45ACP.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

What caliber is it now? Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but I can't help it.

I have seen 45ACP leveractions before, and I have never shot one. But I did run into some probems with a Ruger Convertable 45ACP/45 Colt Revolver. I found that the Ruger was very picky on the brands of ammo I shot through it.

I discovered that the consistancy of the brass over all lengths and or crimping variations, caused some brands to seat too deep in the chambers and caused misfires and hard extraction. As long as I made the right choices in brands of ammo, everything worked fine.

This problem does not raise it's ugly head in a 1911 Colt pistol, usually, because the extractor will usually hold the case back and keep it headspacing correctly enough that it's not an issue. My 1911's will shoot about anything without problems. But the extractor is already over the rim of the case before it chambers in an auto pistol.

In most leveractions that is not the case, and the bullet is pushed ahead of the bolt, so the extractor will have to snap over the rim at lockup. Maybe with a good chamber in the rifle there will be no problem, or if you handload, then you can control it. Or just be careful about ammo brands.

Maybe it won't be a problem in a lever, but it sure was in the Ruger Convertable. You might want to inquire before you do it. Personally, I would stay with a rimmed case.
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

If you handload and seat the bullets out to where they contact the lands of the rifling then headspace will be more consistant, and with cast bullets you can even roll crimp if you headspace on the bullet, whch might not be a bad idea in the leveraction anyway.

At anyrate, I am not trying to spoil this idea for you, but I though I should share my experiences with headspace problems I have seen, in the Ruger revolvers, anyway.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Looking good Palmtreee, can't wait to hear about the .45ACP conversion.

Ysabel Kid, all I did was drill and tap the Ludwig Cross-Bolt Safety filler to accept the threads of the saddle ring. Like the saddle ring I installed on my Guide Gun.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

salvo wrote:Looking good Palmtreee, can't wait to hear about the .45ACP conversion.

Ysabel Kid, all I did was drill and tap the Ludwig Cross-Bolt Safety filler to accept the threads of the saddle ring. Like the saddle ring I installed on my Guide Gun.
I was thinking about something like this just the other day. I have an 1894CB on the way and a saddle ring would be just the ticket. :D
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

Looks real good. 1886.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Lastmohecken wrote:What caliber is it now? Maybe I shouldn't say anything, but I can't help it.

I have seen 45ACP leveractions before, and I have never shot one. But I did run into some probems with a Ruger Convertable 45ACP/45 Colt Revolver. I found that the Ruger was very picky on the brands of ammo I shot through it.

I discovered that the consistancy of the brass over all lengths and or crimping variations, caused some brands to seat too deep in the chambers and caused misfires and hard extraction. As long as I made the right choices in brands of ammo, everything worked fine.

This problem does not raise it's ugly head in a 1911 Colt pistol, usually, because the extractor will usually hold the case back and keep it headspacing correctly enough that it's not an issue. My 1911's will shoot about anything without problems. But the extractor is already over the rim of the case before it chambers in an auto pistol.

In most leveractions that is not the case, and the bullet is pushed ahead of the bolt, so the extractor will have to snap over the rim at lockup. Maybe with a good chamber in the rifle there will be no problem, or if you handload, then you can control it. Or just be careful about ammo brands.

Maybe it won't be a problem in a lever, but it sure was in the Ruger Convertable. You might want to inquire before you do it. Personally, I would stay with a rimmed case.
It s a 45 Long Colt right now. I have a Ruger Bisley 45Colt/45ACP convertable that shoots ACP great. I'll keep you posted.
Thanks for the info.
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Palmtree, Who is doing the conversion? Looking forward to hearing how it goes.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Excellent, really like the ring, well done.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

You do have a beautiful gun there, I really like the checkering and the lever. Good luck on the conversion if decide to do it.
Palmtreee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Palmtreee »

Lastmohecken wrote:You do have a beautiful gun there, I really like the checkering and the lever. Good luck on the conversion if decide to do it.
There is no, "if"