Unusual Old Model 94?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Retro Guy
Levergunner

Unusual Old Model 94?

Post by Retro Guy »

Years ago, I inherited my father's model 94 38-55, (this is the rifle that started my renewed interest in lever guns), and would like to know how common it is. The serial number is #85757 and sports a half octagon, half round barrel with a full length magazine. It is also a take-down model.

In all my 30+ years of roaming around gunshows & gunshops, I never seen another one like it. Would it be worth it to pay for the research to see when it was built and where it was originally shipped? It's been pretty much relegated to wall hanger status, but will still knock a coffee can around at 50 yards.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you have a fine old Winchester.I know there are many on here that can tell you more about it, but I would think that a letter from Cody would sure be nice to have with it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Retro Guy,

This site:

http://www.savage99.com/winchester1894_dates.htm

...says your rifle is of 1897 vintage. Yep, you got one that is a little more special than most of them are. The caliber, takedown feature, barrel shape, rifle configuration, and date are highly desieable to some people. Condition is a strong factor to some people, too. Where's the mandatory pictures, huh?! :D

Welcome to the forum!

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

...and, if that was my rifle, I would definately contact the Cody Museum:

http://www.bbhc.org/firearms/records.cfm

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Yep, the Cody letter is called for here.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

It's the rarest of rare. The only one like it in the world that was your father's! :D Now where's the pictures? :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
WIN 1894
Levergunner 1.0

Post by WIN 1894 »

Cody records show Pre-1898 1894's from serial #1 thru #53941. Go for the Cody letter as it is well worth it. :) :)
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Griff wrote:Yep, the Cody letter is called for here.
link to posted Picturesviewtopic.php?t=6800 :D
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."