New here, but love leverguns. (pics)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Cast&Blast
Levergunner

New here, but love leverguns. (pics)

Post by Cast&Blast »

Hi. A friend from another forum invited me here and I'm glad to find a place so rich in resources and enthusiasts. I have three leverguns. This first one is the only gun I have that belonged to my Dad, a wartime era 30-30 Winchester 94. This thing is really fun to shoot. My eyes are getting old on me and I don't want to put a scope on this one. So I'm not very good with it but I think I get a little better each time I take it out. I like to stand up and shoot it and some of the ranges I have access to don't let you do that.

Then my neighbor gave me a GREAT deal on this .357 Marlin. It had some trouble jamming but I sent it back to Marlin and it works GREAT now, no charge other than shipping to fix it.

Then just last month for my birthday my wife got me this! I wanted a .22 lever to plink with and she got me a beauty, a Marlin 39A. I put the scope on it and took it out once and it's a BLAST! I've never had a gun with a scope before, this is going to be one of my favorites at the range.

Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Welcome to the forum! Looks like you're well on your way to a pleasurable addiction... BTW, congratulations on having something so nice that was your dad's. You are very fortunate.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Cast&Blast
Levergunner

Post by Cast&Blast »

Hobie wrote:Welcome to the forum! Looks like you're well on your way to a pleasurable addiction... BTW, congratulations on having something so nice that was your dad's. You are very fortunate.
Thanks Hobie. My dad was an avid collector and sportsman, and an accomplished marksman (he earned the Distinguished Rifleman award as a civilian, something that only a handful of people can do each year). So he had a lot of really nice guns. I wish I had more of his, but this was a favorite of mine, it hung above the fireplace and as a kid it was all I could do to keep my hands off it! So if I could pick one, this would be it.
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

Welcome to the forum - but be warned... hanging around here for long enough will lighten your wallet...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
slowhandscotty
Levergunner

Post by slowhandscotty »

Beautiful wood on that 39 of yours. Nice looking guns.
-Scott
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you and look forward to more posts!

I also have a prewar 94 that belonged to my late father. It's one of my most cherished levers.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Welcome! That 30-30 from your Dad is in gorgeous condition. Please do not put a scope on it. As you say, with practice, you get better and better all the time.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Yes, fine 94 you have . Your pa certainly looked after that.
Welcome Sir.
Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Very impressive rifles you have!

Thanx for the photos.

TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
Dastook
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dastook »

Welcome, and great first post. We'll be looking for many more from you. :D :D
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

NRA Life Endowment
SASS & CAS

Born in Idaho, the same great state Elmer Keith & Jack O'Conner lived in and loved.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Welcome and nice levers!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Welcome aboard! Now that's what I call a great first post (or second, or hundredth, or, well, you get my drift :wink: )!!! :D
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Howdy,

Compliments on the three gun battery. Not much you could do to improve on that one.

You're very fortunate to have your Dad's Winchester.
Cast&Blast
Levergunner

Post by Cast&Blast »

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes!!
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

your guns

Post by brucew44guns »

Welcome Mr. C&B, (good handle for sure). Looks to me like you got yourself a good start here with QUALITY stuff. Stick with the good stuff, and you won't have junkers setting around. Those are really nice levers, glad you're here bud. Bruce
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Cast&Blast
Levergunner

Post by Cast&Blast »

Thanks again. Speaking of quality, when I was looking for a scope for my 39A, well I knew it could be a pretty accurate gun and that my eyes wouldn't make it very fun to shoot past 20 yards or so. But man, when you hold a cheap scope up your eye and then a nice one, the quality just jumps out, doesn't it? That Leupold just gathers so much more light, and the crosshairs are finer. It's fun. This is my first time shooting with a scope. My neighbor (who also has a big groundhog problem), gave me these targets. They're small but it was fun. The one on the left was from a bench at 25 yards, the one on the right was standing up and shooting. How 'bout those headshots, huh? That would be a former groundhog right there. :o

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yes.. Welcome! A tang sight will do wonders to sharpen up fuzzy sights from old eyes...These guys sell tang sights that may work for your 94 30-30..Not sure if your model will have the extra hole needed.. good luck!

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,217.html
Cast&Blast
Levergunner

Post by Cast&Blast »

Ben_Rumson wrote:Yes.. Welcome! A tang sight will do wonders to sharpen up fuzzy sights from old eyes...These guys sell tang sights that may work for your 94 30-30..Not sure if your model will have the extra hole needed.. good luck!

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/2,217.html
That's a great site, thanks, I have it bookmarked now. I like the sights on the Marlin .357 even less. I don't mind the sights on the 30-30, I like shooting it the way my Dad shot it. But that Marlin 94 I'd be really interested in upgrading the sights on that. Hopefully with something I can do myself. I'm not much of a tinkerer and I'm nervous about taking stuff apart.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Cast&Blast,

Welcome to the forum.

Nice 94. By the looks of those groups, I'd say you were doing OK with it.

I like the Marlin 357 too. If its drilled and tapped on the left side for a side mount receiver sight I'd suggest putting one of those on with a post or sourdough type front sight.
If it's not D&T'd then I'd have it done. Doesn't cost too much and it's worth it.
For me and my 55 YO eyes this is the best iron sight set up. ( I will not scope a lever rifle of any caliber. )

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Cast&Blast
Levergunner

Post by Cast&Blast »

J Miller wrote:By the looks of those groups, I'd say you were doing OK with it.
You might notice I left out the important bit of info regarding how far away I was shooting those groups! :D
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Welcome to the campfire Cast&Blast. I really love that Winchester, thats one really looked after rifle.
I'm nearly 60 and I'm struggling a bit with open sights but reluctant to put a carrying handle on my leverguns.

I guess I'll just have to stalk closer or take up big game huntin' :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'm sneakin' up on 58 and havin' more trouble with iron sights also. I love the tang sight on my 94 Rifle, probably wouldn't be able to shoot more'n 50 yards without it. As it is, I'm still capable out to 200 or so, but do need to take my time and really focus. But, then, the same is true of a scope at that distance also.

Welcome to the Forum!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Great name and first post. Welcome!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Welcome to the board - thanks for sharing the pics!

Your wife must like squirrel meat :wink:

That's a very nice gift :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Welcome, But beware or your collection will grow with all the levers you will soon find out you can't live without :wink: :lol: :lol:
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

:D WELCOME :D Leverguns are an addiction. I am hooked and there is no support groups :wink: .
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Welcome, nice looking guns.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Welcome aboard! :D
Cast&Blast
Levergunner

Post by Cast&Blast »

TedH wrote:Welcome aboard! :D
TedH, Jesus, man! What the eff is that in your avatar picture!?!

You guys didn't tell me you can hunt sabre tooth tigers with leverguns!

I'd like to see the whole picture please...
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Cast&Blast,nice rifles and welcome to the campfire. :)
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Welcome to the fire! Nice guns and nice shooting.

But, did anybody mention.....

Paco is a preacher?