which One? I'm fidgeting, getting impatient .... na, na, na,

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sanchez
Levergunner

which One? I'm fidgeting, getting impatient .... na, na, na,

Post by sanchez »

:lol: :lol:
I'm one of the most impulsive and impatient types around. In the brief time I've been considering the leap into leverland, I've been obsessing about it constantly.

Couple of questions:

If I decide to buy new, anything wrong with the new Marlin 336? They have a 20" barrel. Will I lose much accuracy and range over a 24". I will wait to get the best choice, but if I can walk right into my local Sportsman's Warehouse and lay down my green backs and walk out ....
welllll, it just couldn't get better than that :lol: :lol: :lol:
the rifleman knew what he was doing
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Compulsive?
Impatient??

Get yourself a new Marlin...and you'll feel as right as rain!!!

The 20 inch barrel will serve you well...I'm going to put a scope on mine.
Last edited by PaperPatch on Wed Oct 03, 2007 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sanchez,

I'm one of the most impulsive and impatient types around. In the brief time I've been considering the leap into leverland, I've been obsessing about it constantly.
Yep, I can identify with that totally. Especially the obsessing part.

Couple of questions:

If I decide to buy new, anything wrong with the new Marlin 336?
Nope, not at all.

They have a 20" barrel. Will I lose much accuracy and range over a 24".
Nope, not at all. The length of a barrel is not generally a mechanical issue for or against accuracy. If you study some of the ballistic charts the ammo manufacturers put out, you'll notice that at any given range there isn't enough trajectory difference to worry about. I've owned exactly one 24" lever action rifle and it handled nice. However my 20" is so much more handy and handles just as nice.

I will wait to get the best choice, but if I can walk right into my local Sportsman's Warehouse and lay down my green backs and walk out ....
welllll, it just couldn't get better than that Laughing Laughing Laughing
I've found that if I want something bad enough and I wait too long, I usually do something stupid like buying something to make do for what I want, but can't find, or afford. Be patient, but don't worry about the barrel length issue.

Joe
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

If you like new, get new. That's me but some guys prefer old, look at Kirk. Old and unused is fine with me. Some like fancy, I usually like plain. 8)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

What's it matter? As soon as you pick up the first one, you're going to be hooked. Many more to come after that! :D

Welcome to the addiction!!! 8)
sanchez
Levergunner

which One? etc.

Post by sanchez »

Yeee haaaa! I love you guys. There's nothing better than having experts tell you exactly what you wanted to hear :lol: :lol: :lol:

Especially like your logic Ysabel Kid. And thanks to you J. Miller for clearly putting to rest the accuracy/range bugaboo.

It's only money, it's only money. On my way to bring home a new baby.
I'm thinking a 1-4x30 something scope or possibly just slip on one of my cheepy red dots. We're having a hunter's sight in at my local range this weekend. I've got a couple of commie blocks (Romak III and M44) to scope up, but this (as though it's already sitting in my den) one will be first in line.

Any recommendations on ammo? Good price/quality balance. Trying to sound rational here, but on consumables I'm really a cheap b88t88d!
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

I personally will not purchase a new levergun, simply because I cannot abide the silly lawyer induced safeties. No button pushing for this shooter.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BlaineCGarverakaTubbyTuba »

the old ones are so much smooooooother :wink:
---------------------
www.levergunluvers.com

MOLAN LABE

DEMOCRATS: PORK OVER PATRIOTISM
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

(anything wrong with the new Marlin 336?( - Yes - they're not free ! :)

( They have a 20" barrel.)
( Will I lose much accuracy and range over a 24) - Only 4" in range. ;)
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

if you hunt....24"
sanchez
Levergunner

which One?

Post by sanchez »

Thanks to all for putting me on the right path. I was heading out when I thought, "there's one more place to check" A little gun shop near Bremerton, Wa. called Boerner's Firearms. Sure enough they had a very clean '58 or '59 as near as we could tell from the book, Marlin 336CC for what I would have paid for a new one here with tax (they included the tax) so all in I walked out lighter $350 and in possession of really slick rifle. And yes, the older ones are so much smoooooother, judging this one to the new one at Sportsman's Warehouse.

Saturday morning rain or shine (and man we've been getting rain in the upper left corner) I'll be getting on paper and scoping this puppy in. As luck would have it a pawn shop just a short ways from the gun store had one of the "skinny end" steel Weaver 3-6 scopes with rings for $25; the gun already is mounted with a small Weaver rail. Yippee, skippee ... well, you know.

Again, thanks 8) 8) 8)
Oz n bolivia
Levergunner

Post by Oz n bolivia »

Sanchez, Will it be a present for the baby, the mother,or you?

It is only money. Cann't take it with you to the other side, and it is the root of all evil so get rid of it, enjoy the outdoores, the noise, and the pleasure of shooting. Take the memories to heaven.

Oz
Remaining a curious student throughout life renders one’s life interesting and progressive.
Robert Smyth
He stated that the way I feel.
Knowledge is all we do, see, touch, hear, read. What we do with that knowledge shows our wisdom.
sanchez
Levergunner

which One? etc.

Post by sanchez »

God I hope the only baby will be this new lever baby! I just woke up and thought, man did I just dream the last 40 years? No, I'm way past the baby getting stage, thanks be.

Whew :shock: You're too right, Oz memories are what it's about. Made a little money and spent some too; but the only thing that is always there in the way of possessions is the good memories. Hope I never get too feeble to retrieve them. :?
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Yup,

get your priorities right!

IRS on payment plan...

bought 5 guns this year!!!!
Scott64A
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Scott64A »

And...
welcome to the addiction of levergunning

Next for you will be a Winchester, you won't know how much better they are until you own one.[/img]
reo
Levergunner 2.0

Post by reo »

Either barrel length will do you fine. I like the 20". I have used it for deer and elk with one shot stops. Bullet placement. That is the final answer with 150 or 170 gr. I STILL HUNT, in and around the timber. In ten years I have never shot anything past 100 yards. I subscribe to the Francis Sell style of hunting and have found it productive and rewarding. I will use a moderate loaded 45 Colt this year. I expect the same results. Good luck.