Magna-port for Savage 99?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Magna-port for Savage 99?

Post by t.r. »

I've had good luck with this older Savage in .308 but the muzzle lift seems excessive. A local smith told me the stock design causes this more than actual recoil.

I loathe the appearance of muzzle breaks. Magna-port advertizing appears to match my basic needs here. But before spending any money, I thought it best to seek advise from this forum.

I'm not concerned about ruining collector value.

Do you think Magna-porting will significantly reduce muzzle jump?

Thanks in advance for your replies.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

In one word - yes.

I own and a lot of my Pennsylvania deer camp members hunt with Remington 760/7600 30-06 carbines, the PA pump gun - I have shoot both Magna-ported and non Magna-ported verisons side by side - and in my opinion - the ones with the ports significantly reduced muzzle jump - I was so impressed with it that when I picked up my then brand new, never shot 7600 30-06 carbine - I took it right to the gunsmith who removed the barrel for me and sent it to Magna-Port to get fixed up.

It was worth the money for me.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Thanks for the responce. I didn't realize that the barrel must be removed. Sounds like cost just doubled! YIKES!

This is another photo of same buck which was taken in Black Hills of western South Dakota. The shot about 125 yards or so. My 150 grain pointed soft tip bullet found its mark and the buck bounded away only to topple after 2 or 3 jumps.

This is an "e-version" of an older glossy photograph. I apologize for the quality.

TR
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

This is an "e-version" of an older glossy photograph. I apologize for the quality.
Always enjoy the picks.
As for the porting ... whatever it takes to keep you bullets in the 10 ring and continue to make good shots on the game, I am all for.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Don't forget to take your hearing protection! Things will be much louder on your end with the porting.

Kick eeze claims their buttpads are "chambered" to reduce muzzle rise.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

It is a neat picture. I am not certain the barrel needs to be removed, although the cost is less if you just send the barrel - removing the barrel on a Remington pump is not that difficult if you have the tools to do it properly - it does save on shipping costs and yes the blast is slightly louder, but not as bad as a regular muzzle brake.
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Post by Terry Murbach »

SINCE THE PROBLEM IS CAUSED BY STOCK DESIGN--OR SO SAYS THE GUNSMITH-- WHY NOT CHANGE THE STOCK ?? THIS CAUSES NO PERMANENT CHANGES TO THE RIFLE.
ALL OF MY 99'S ARE LIGHTWEIGHTS IN THE RECOIL DEPARTMENT; IMAGINE THAT, I WONDER WHAT THE DIFFERENCE MIGHT BE ??
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

The barrel does NOT need to be removed, check with a local smith about installing a hydraulic recoil altering device in the stock.
It is likely you are having an adverse reaction to the rise to the peak of the pressure curve, the hydraulic device will alter that into a longer , gentler cycle; and that may make the experience more palatable to you.
Bluehawk
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Bluehawk »

Stock designs on the newer M99s has always been a problem. Dont know many people who have owned 99s in 308 that did NOT complain about the recoil.
My older model is not a problem and that is with a crescent butt plate .
I have known several people who have replaced their stocks with after market ones and have solved a majority of the recoil Slightly differnt angle on the butt and a recoil pad works wonders too . I had a newer model of the 99 in 243 years ago and it did kick considerably more than any other 243 I have ever owned. Due to it being a 243 It never was worth the trouble to get it reduced
I have owned two rifles which had been magna-ported ONe in 375H&H ( Sako fiberclass) and one Remington 700 BBL in 338 Win.
Both worked .The 375 H&H was only slightly less muzzle jump and recoil than my Ruger #1 in 375 H&H but the noise level was horrible . MY 338 did not seem to be much difference between two others in that cal that I had fired .
IF it was me i'd opt for having the stock fixed, new stock added or sell it and get somethhing I did not have that problem with
The right way is always the hardest. It's like the law of nature , water always takes the path of least resistence...... That's why we get crooked rivers and crooked men . TR Theodore the Great
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I agree. I owned (sadly, past tense) a 99 in 300 Sav - just a sniff behind the 308 and it was a pussycat with its older design stock (metal buttplate).

If this were my rifle, I would go with a new stock and forget the muzzle brake.

Every muzzle brake I've ever been exposed to has been a loud ***.

None of my many rifles sports one. You might say that I'm anti muzzle brake ;)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
crs
Advanced Levergunner

Post by crs »

Yes it will.

My .308 featherweight M70 Win would jump up from the sandbags at the range when shooting Hornady light magnums before I had it magnaported. Now it does not come up at all and I estimate that the recoil is reduced about 10%.
My Ruger 77 in .338 Win Mag is also Magnaported with similar results.
CRS, NRA Benefactor Member, TSRA, DRSS, DWWC, Whittington Center
Android Ballistics App at http://www.xplat.net/
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

This my older Savage. The smith told me there was too much drop at the heel which caused muzzle lift of several inches. The recoil seems moderate to me but muzzle jump has always annoyed me.

I don't want a thick pad on the stock because of increased length of pull.

This is a really good rifle for extreme cold because the trigger opening is large enough for my gloved fingers. Yes, it gets down to well below zero and stays there. I've had frostbite problems that still cause some health issues for me.

TR
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That's not "an older stock" - it's a newer stock by 99 standards.

And by the way, nice buck! :D
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Not to be a know-it-all but last few years of production, the 99 featured a raised comb which my early '70's stock does not have.

TR
azrednek
Levergunner

Post by azrednek »

I say "yes" if muzzle flip is a problem for you. If it is felt recoil that is pestering you consider a recoil pad first. Allot easier to undo a recoil pad if it doesn't help. Be prepared to annoy adjacent shooters at the range if you Magnaport it.

Several years ago friend of mine ruined the value of his pre-64 Winnie converting it to 308 Norma from 30-06. In my head anyway the Magnaporting seemed to bring the recoil back to tad less than 30-06 level. The muzzle flip was remarkably reduced and a recoil pad tamed the rearward punch of his heavy 220 gr bullet loads. I couldn't imagine though shooting it without ear protection.

Personally I despise the looks of muzzle breaks. Magnaporting works nearly as good and really reduces the ugly looks of a muzzle break.
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

had a .44magnum that was ported. sold it after 20 rounds. under field conditions you wont be using hearing protection. tradeoff between muzzle flip and NOISE wasn't worth it for me,anyway.
Savage99
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Savage99 »

I'd try a good quality recoil pad first..you don't need a magnum sized pad for a .308..A good midsize will help alot and won't increase the LOP much since your removing the plastic butplate anyway..the increased muzzle blast would bother me more then the recoil.
Robert....

Chance favors the prepared mind....
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

I've got a 20", 1970 Model 99E in .308 Winchester; also have an old Remington 78 in 30-06.

I shot the 78 for years w/o a pad on it, until the wife decided she liked it. So I cut it down to fit her LOP with the thickest Decelerator pad installed. Now it kicks the snot out of me, unless I remember that it's short-stocked and mount it just so.

The 99/308 didn't bother me, but I was worried it would slip, (hardwood floor) fall over, and booger the sights. I added the thinnest Decelerator pad they make for it. I'll probably take it off because it just slows me down in mounting the gun, especially if I've got a coat or coveralls on.

I try to do 20 or so rounds of fast, close work with the 99, every couple of weeks. With 180's it will remind you when you mounted it wrong, but I wouldn't call it a hard-kickin' rifle in the grand scheme of things.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.