Differences between a .454 and 45colt casings.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Differences between a .454 and 45colt casings.

Post by meanc »

Now this is just discussing the brass case and not how puny the 454 really is compared to the 45colt. :lol:

Aside from the OAL, just want to know if the casing is thicker/sturdier than 45colt? Or, are they the same thickeness from rim to mouth?
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The .454 is thicker brass. If loaded in a gun with a chamber tighter than the loose industry standard, the .45lc can be loaded to some impressive pressures, but still not to the .454 pressures.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
runfiverun
Levergunner 2.0

Post by runfiverun »

thicker web and thicker case walls.
iirc some were made for small rifle primers.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

piller wrote:The .454 is thicker brass. If loaded in a gun with a chamber tighter than the loose industry standard, the .45lc can be loaded to some impressive pressures, but still not to the .454 pressures.
Yes the .454 casull is thicker brass especially in the web around the primer pocket.The cartridge diameter is also held to tighter tolerance than 45 colt. :wink:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

The case wall on a .454 is tapered. If you trim them back to .45 Colt length, it's pretty obvious. When you load close to .454 levels in a .45 Colt brass, you start having case failures right above the web.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
scr83jp
Levergunner 2.0

Post by scr83jp »

Travis Morgan wrote:The case wall on a .454 is tapered. If you trim them back to .45 Colt length, it's pretty obvious. When you load close to .454 levels in a .45 Colt brass, you start having case failures right above the web.
None noticed with the 45lc brass I've loaded to beginning 454casull loads but I'm shooting it in an encore pistol & rifle.
Travis Morgan
Senior Levergunner

Post by Travis Morgan »

Shooting it in the encore would be why. Revolvers tend to be a little looser. When I have cases fail, they either split down the side, or they bulge out just above the web.
Hunter Ed. instructor
NRA Basic pistol Inst.
NRA Personal protection inst.
NRA Range safety officer

Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. But his delight is in the law of the LORD; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. Psalm 1
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

According to Lees modern reloading there are a few differences.
The rim thickness on the 454 is .052", .060" on the 45lc,
web on the 454 is .477", .480" on the 45lc,
neck on the 454 is .452 and .454 on the 45lc.
Lee also lists the 454 as a small rifle primer and the 45lc as a large pistol.
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Gryphon Black
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Gryphon Black »

The primer I have seen listed in the tables is small rifle magnum, though since I haven't been able to find any at the local supply house, I built my casull loads with pistol magnums. It depends on the powder you use, as well as the power level you're trying to get to. 24gr of 2400 powder under a hornady XTP 300gr bullet was well nigh enough, using the mag pistol primers.
I built some hot punchy colt loads for my Marlin that I call .45 mustang, and I cut down casull cases to do it so I wouldn't have any problems. It worked fine, and I liked seating the small primers, they pushed in a lot easier than the large ones the colt cases use. I thought about just going with all casull cases, but the price shot that plan down.
Casull cases are really spendy, so if the load doesn't have to have it, I don't use it.
One potentially useful aspect of cutting down casull cases for colts is that you can trim them to a longer length, and customize them to your chamber. My Marlin chamber is a tad long, so I cut mine to 1.295-1.298, as opposed to the 1.280 of a standard colt case.
But remember that because the 454 casull case has thicker meat, it therefore has less capacity than a colt case, when cut to standard 1.280 colt length. If you're hotrodding it, keep in mind the potential pressure spike that might give, and adjust accordingly. Like maybe seating the bullet a touch further out, or reducing the charge a tad.
Dunno if this is what you wanted to know, but it's what I learned when I went down that road.
The .460mag is probly an entirely different bucket of ferrets, but I plan to find out a few things about them someday.... 8)

Gryphon
bang.