Thinking about a Marlin 1895 cowboy. What are you thoughts?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Monte
Levergunner

Thinking about a Marlin 1895 cowboy. What are you thoughts?

Post by Monte »

Thinking about getting a 1895cb. I have a 1894cb in 45 colt and love it. Why am I thinking about one? Just because I love the 1894 and the longer barrel and the 45-70 case look good. Please give me your opinions. Do they shoot well, can they be loaded down for target shooting, do they recoil like a mule and are they worth the money?
Thanks
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Monte,

I handled and examined one several years ago and fell in love with it. I didn't have the funds to make it mine though. Maybe someday.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I have one (and a 94 CB in 45 Colt too) - well one close to a cowboy - it's a pre-cowboy model that Davidson's commissioned with a 24", half round, half octagonal barrel. I really like it.

Anyway, yes, there are all kinds of loads for black powder equivalent velocities, yes they thump a bit - but not bad with bp equivalent/cowboy loads - especially shooting off-hand. They can be loaded up to beat the band (400 grain bullet at 2000+ fps) and those load do kick - let me tell you.

They are accurate with good loads and balance well.

If you like your 94CB and feel its "worth the money", then you will like the 95CB - go for it!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I got a used one and really like it. Doesn't look as 'stout' as the stainless guide gun I wanted to get, but was more affordable, and really is made the same. Plus it holds 9 rounds... 8)

It balances well and is really light due to the big hole in the barrel...!

Smooth feeder so far (factory loads only so far).

I'd still like a SS guide gun someday...(all guns need 'friends' next to them in the safe, you know).
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
meanc
Levergunner 3.0

Post by meanc »

Please give me your opinions. Do they shoot well, can they be loaded down for target shooting, do they recoil like a mule and are they worth the money?
Thanks

I picked up an "1895 LTD V" a couple of weeks ago. It has the 24" half octagon / half round bbl, full length mag, and pistol grip.

I haven't shot it yet, but intend to do so this weekend with some Hornady 325gr Leverevolution. Then I'll put some reloads together and see how those go.

I'll let you know what the results are.

As far as "are they worth it", I picked up mine like new and unfired for $400 and didn't waste a second throwing down the money.

The looks of the 1895CB are very nice. I have the 1894CB with checkered stocks in 45colt also and love it to death. So if you really like the 1894CB 45colt, I couldn't see you not liking the 1895CB.
Last edited by meanc on Thu May 01, 2008 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and I don't think he even knows it...Walks around with a half-assed grin...If he feels fear, he don't show it. Just rides into hell and back again.
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

I love mine. Beautiful lines, though I think the forend could be a might trimmer; I was lucky to get some pretty good looking wood. The 26" octagon barrel is a beautiful thing, and I have a William's Foolproof Target peep sight on mine to help with fading eyesight. It is the favorite of all the guns I own, and the most fun to shoot..
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

One of my favorite rifles. I also have 1894 Cowboys in .357,.44mag.,
,45 Colt all with 24" barrels. BUT the 1895 CB is special due to its capabilities with the .45-70 round and that 26" barrel. :wink:
Last edited by Chuck 100 yd on Thu May 01, 2008 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I like them but my friends CB is not nearly as accurate as my standard 1895SS for whatever reason. I have had two of those and both have been quite accurate.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

I have two, one 38-55 and the other is a 45-70. Love them both. Because I'm not a big fan of recoil and like to shoot alot, I put LimbSaver recoil pads on both of them. I often shoot 100 rds. in a day and don't end up with a buised shoulder. The 45-70 can be loaded to wide range of intensities, from kitty cat mild to romp'em-stomp'em thunder. Accurated loads can be be had at all levels.

I like the lines, weight and balance of the Marlin better than the Winchester 1886.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
Irascible
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Irascible »

I have one of the 1895 Cowboys - great gun and accurate with cast. I shortened the barrel to 24" and installed a Pachmyr decelerator "sporting Clays" pad for a quick, unsnagged trip to my shoulder. I mounted a Williams receiver sight and a fiber optic front bead. It is light and a full load will hurt. I tried mine on a good size Blackbear and it worked fine. I used a 350gr OW truncated mould, #2 Alloy and a reasonable load of 4198 for 1800 fps.
Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be - Abe Lincoln
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Don't take this the wrong way, but my first thought when I read your topic title was, "Why? There's a perfectly good .45-70 in the form of a Browning/Winchester 1886!" But, that might simply stem from the fact that I'm an uinrepentent Winchester fan! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Ah, Griff, now don't you open a can of worms?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Got to, if ya wanna go fishin'! :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[What are you thoughts?]

I'm thinking, you're gonna drive yourself crazy - until you git one ! :wink:
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Griff wrote:Don't take this the wrong way, but my first thought when I read your topic title was, "Why? There's a perfectly good .45-70 in the form of a Browning/Winchester 1886!" But, that might simply stem from the fact that I'm an uinrepentent Winchester fan! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Savage wrote:Ah, Griff, now don't you open a can of worms?

:lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
gary rice
Levergunner 2.0

Post by gary rice »

i bought the 95 cb last year and i love it. shoots better than alot of 22 rifles for accuracy.
g rice
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I must have posted my answer on another thread :oops: .

Anyway, I really like mine, even though I bought a used CB when I really wanted a stainless Guide Gun, but couldn't afford one.

Action is smooth, cycles factory ammo flawlessly. 2" groups with a good scope and factory ammunition. Lightweight barrel (because the hole is so durn big!) despite the length.

You'll like it.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I handled one and spent some time shooting one - I will someday have a longer barrel 45-70 to go with my guide gun and Pedersoli Sharps. Although the Marlin is nice - I think I am with Griff on this one and will be getting a 1886 model.

You can't go wrong with the Marlin - they are fine shootin' irons...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
Last Spike
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Last Spike »

The 1895 CB is a good gun - I made mine better by slicking up the action, adding a Pachmayr recoil pad, and added a big loop lever to it. Now I'm good for everything from mild to heavy loads.