Update on Problem with Cimarron Firearms

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ejc
Levergunner

Update on Problem with Cimarron Firearms

Post by ejc »

The following link is to my original post for anyone who hasn't read it or wants to re-read it.

http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewtopic.php?t=5501

MY Bisley revolver returned yesterday. They replaced the barrel. The new barrel measures a little over .451 inch groove diameter. They did a good job replacing the barrel. The front sight is at top dead center so it should shoot to POI horizontally. The only thing I am a little disappointed about is the barrel/cylinder gap which measures between .009 and .010 inch. While it is a little larger than I would like, I don't see it as a problem. Since I don't try to magnamize my 45 Colts the little velocity loss from the barrel/cylinder gap doesn't concern me.

I will try to get out and shoot it this weekend. I can also now finish the work I want to do on the gun to make it function better. When I first bought the revolver it was almost impossible to hold the gun out at arms length and cock it because of the heavy mainspring and roughness in the frame. I disasembled the gun and stoned the inside of the frame which removed about 30% of the cocking force needed to cock the gun. I then started working on the hammer spring to lighten it since you can't buy a reduced power spring for the Bisley. That was before I discovered the oversized barrel. Now that it is back, I will finish working on the spring and I will also fit a new bolt for a better fit in the cylinder notches and to refine the timing of the bolt drop. I will also replace the cylinder bushing to remove the small amount of end shake. Once I am done it should be a good running revolver.

I'll report on it's accuracy next week.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looking forward to the range report; hope it shoots like a champ!!!

Remember to include pictures!!! :D
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

I am happy that they fixed the problem! I have been looking at their .22 revolvers myself, but will probably settle for the Ruger SA as it has an adjustable rear sight. I don't think the Cimarron's have that.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Whew!

Looking forward to range reports!
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I'm glad it all worked out.
"That'll Be The Day"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Very good. Might I make a suggestion regarding the mainspring? I've done several, tho not on a Bisley, but I'm guessing the concept the same. If your's uses a flat mainspring, I offer the following:

Take the width of the spring down to about ¼" from about 3/8" from the both the bottom and the top. I then "round-off" all corners to radius them. I taper the the top until it's slightly over 1/3 greater than the width of the "groove" the hammer roller rides in. This ensures the corners of the spring don't catch the corners of the frame as it is bent into the frame during cocking. I then polish ALL edges on a high speed polisher to remove almost every imperfection in the sides and new corners. Grinding any metal destroys or distorts the grain of the steel and this is what leads to mainspring failures.

Don't have one of mine here to post a pic of, or I woulda! :oops:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ejc
Levergunner

Post by ejc »

Griff, I started off narrowing the spring, but it was so thick and stiff that I started thinning it also.

The Bisley spring is more of a challenge than a normal SAA spring because when you cock the Bisley the spring contacts the trigger guard before the gun is fully cocked so that the last movenent to cock the gun uses only the top third of the spring. Because of that it makes it a little tricky to get the cocking force uniform through the entire cocking motion. I have a new Bisley spring just in case I mess up modifying the original spring.
John Boy
Levergunner 1.0

Post by John Boy »

ejc ... why not just call Lisa at VTI Replica Gunparts and order a new 'light' Uberti spring?
(860) 435-8068
Regards
John
ejc
Levergunner

Post by ejc »

John Boy, no one to my knowledge, including VTI, offers a light mainspring for an Uberti made Bisley revolver. The Bisley uses a totally different mainspring that a normal single action. It actually has hooks on the upper end that engage a "T" looking bar that is attached to the hammer.

Since there are so few Bisley models made compared to a typical single action it probably isn't cost effective for anyone to make a reduced power spring for them.