best ear protection?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

best ear protection?

Post by jazman »

So we were shooting at my BIL's place, after a while my old ear protectors got hot so I slid them off. Sure enough, couple minutes later I rip off a few .357 rounds, ears rang like he!!. I need to get some of the smaller ones that fit in ear if I can. Anyone have any thoughts? JReed, I notice you wore some in ear ones in one of the shooting pics posted of you, are those USMC issue or can they be had? Thanks in advance for ideas of the best protection.
"If you're gonna be a bear, be a grizzly"
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

I use the foam ear plugs from Howard Light. They work very well and don't make you sweat like muffs.

They're @ $30 per 100

8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Chances are OSHA makes your work have foam earplugs.....grab a couple.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Can't, work for myself from home office :D
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

You can drop by Lowe's or Home Depot and get hearing protection for less than at the gun shop. The only thing I have not seen there are the electronic ear muffs.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have to admit I find the Howard Light (or is it Leight) to work very well. I've been using the Browning one's that are similar to military ones that have a baffle for outdoor shooting on one side, and no baffle for indoor shooting on the other side. They worked well at first, but are not working so well now. I think I will go back to the Howard's.

-Tutt
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

For hunting, I use 'Pro-ears' or 'Howard Leight' electronics, because they AMPLIFY ordinary/quiet sounds, but dampen the shot noise. Also I use them when shooting with other people I want to converse with.

If I'm shooting something especially LOUD, I add the foam plugs underneath my muffs, and I use them occasionally in really hot weather by themselves.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ram Hammer
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Ram Hammer »

When I started shooting competition a few years ago, one of the competitors I shot with had a side business of fitting custom molded ear plugs top his fellow shooters. They are made of food grade silicone rubber. They are very effective, convenient to use and last a long time. I use mine every time I shoot, when I mow the lawn or when running power tools. A few months ago we had a contractor come by our office to fit everyone for custom molded ear plugs so I have a second set now. I don't use any other kind of hearing protection any more.
No price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself

There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you.
Will Rogers
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

I usualy use foam plugs the ones I get at work are cammo but they are the same as what you get at the store. I have a pair of the tatical plugs one side is for sporadic firing and allow you to hear other people talk a bit better the other side is for constant loud noise like aircraft or machinegun fire they work great but hurt my ears after awhile and I end up going back to foamies. When I am on the range as a coach I tend to wear muffs as I can take them off one side to hear comands from the tower between firing strings.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Rod WMG
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Rod WMG »

"So we were shooting at my BIL's place, after a while my old ear protectors got hot so I slid them off. "

Yet another effect of global warming! :twisted:
A man's heart devises [or schemes] his way, but the LORD directs his steps. Proverbs 16:9
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I just bought a pair of the custom moulded ear plugs at a gun show a month ago or so. I've worn them to the range 3 times since then and I think they're great.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Paratrooper Dave
Levergunner

Best Ear Protection ?

Post by Paratrooper Dave »

I recently purchased a set of H-10 ear-muffs for about $20.00 made by Peltor and highly recommended by Dave Petzal in his Marlin MR-7
write-up of a number of years ago.

I have used them extensively and I must say they work wonderfully. I could not be happier with them.

My recommendation is not to buy them at a gunshop or box sporting goods store but buy them at an industrial safety/supply business. They will be much less costly there.

Paratrooper Dave
Rustolium
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Rustolium »

Go with the foamies. They can be washed if you feel the need to use them more than once. Get the orange tappered ones, they work the best in my experience(Welder/machinist in the Air Force, around running aircraft). The best earmuffs I have ever used came form the Stihl chainsaw dealer, couldn't tell ya the brand though. Hope this helps! Good shooting!
jazman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jazman »

Thanks for all the good ideas men, appreciate them. I'm going to find some foam Howards and see how they do.
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

I got a bunch of stuff from this place, their muffs are better than typical range muffs.

I got a box of the orange ear plugs, they are a little light to use alone, so maybe stick to the denser blue ones.

The prices are wholesale and they'll sell to the general public.

http://www.elvex.com/ear-muffs-start.htm
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have a custom molded plastic ear plugs that were made during a gun show in the "Cow Palace" a couple of years ago. They usually run about $40 and if you take care, (i.e.: don't lose one) they will last a very long time). If you happen to be in the Bay area, you might contact W.K. Baker Co, (805) 438-5249, he's who made mine. I had a set made by an audiologist in Dallas about 17 or 18 years ago, and understand that a lot of audiologists will make them for a reasonable price. At the time I had my 1st set made, I also got them for my wife and son. I highly recommend them, especially if you wear a cowboy hat when shooting. For some, they are uncomfortable at first, but, I found I quickly grew accustomed to them.

(The only reason I had the second pair made is one somehow was misplaced from the original set! :oops: I'd of had the guy in SF make me a spare for the original set, but I forgot which was missing!)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
4t5
Senior Levergunner

Post by 4t5 »

Hoppe's ear plugs.....get them at MIDWAY USA for $3.00 a pair....WASHABLE AND REUSABLE...I keep a couple pair in my range bag for the kids..very good
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

One of my best friends gave me a pair he got while he was at camp pendleton, I think they came from the P.X. because they have a $4 price on them. They are orange with 3 rings coming off of a main stem. They have a green plastic case with a small chain on them. Anyway they are the BEST I have ever used. I have a custom set that are nice but not as good by my judgement.
Break on through to the other side!!!