well here is a question i can not find a answer too...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jringo8769
Levergunner

well here is a question i can not find a answer too...

Post by jringo8769 »

well i am getting to the end of my journey with two very early model 1894's i am putting back together...and one thing i can not seem to find is good info about what sights should be on these early models...i know a regular rear carbine sight will not fit on a SRC from 1897 and the rifle version from 1896 needs a longer rear sight as well...i really like the marbles sights as well as a few other brands but i want to go with original sights that would have came on the early guns...i have seen at a recent gun show and with my brother in laws 1920's SRC this factory i think three leaf SRC sight and it is much smaller in length which would fit...but is it correct for the time period?...i would like to find old ones as the new stuff is nice but sticks out like a sore thumb on these older guns...any help will so be appreciated...God Bless,John
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Re: well here is a question i can not find a answer too...

Post by OldWin »

I believe the sight you are referring to to is this one. I have seen the three leaf "express" sight used on carbines and rifles alike. Just about anything would be put on if requested, especially on earlier guns. The express in this picture is on a 94 SRC in 30WCF from 1905.

The "standard" carbine sight is the ladder style. The ladder sight is on a 94SRC half mag 38-55 from 1920.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
jringo8769
Levergunner

Post by jringo8769 »

well thank u so much...that really helps...God Bless,John
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

No problem. Hope this helped.
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

OldWin wrote:I believe the sight you are referring to to is this one. I have seen the three leaf "express" sight used on carbines and rifles alike. Just about anything would be put on if requested, especially on earlier guns. The express in this picture is on a 94 SRC in 30WCF from 1905.

The "standard" carbine sight is the ladder style. The ladder sight is on a 94SRC half mag 38-55 from 1920.
FWIW

In the above 2 pics

The lower sight pictured was the standard Model 1894 Carbine rear sight, with the sight barrel dovetail 2-3/8" from the receiver, from introduction through about SN 960,000.

The #44A ladder sight pictured became the standard Model 1894/94 Carbine rear sight, with the sight barrel dovetail 3-1/16" from the receiver, from about SN 960,000 through SN 1,300,000.

At about the SN 1,100,000 range, started to install the last standard rear sight (#22C), with the sight barrel dovetail 4" from the receiver - what we refer to today as a regular/non-folding longleaf rear sight.

The rear sights listed as factory options in my 1930 Winchester catalog were:

* The #70A four-leaf sight

* The #22A Rocky Mountain rear sight

* The #22F Sporting rear sight w/improved elevator

* The #26A (black powder) & #26B (smokeless powder) California Buckhorn rear sight

* The #34B (black powder) & #34C (smokeless powder) Express rear sight with a second/folding leaf

* The #38A Mid0Range Vernier peep sight

* The #40A rear sight (which had protective ears on both sides of the sight leaf)

The standard Model 1894 Carbine front sight was the pinned-in #61 sight.

The optional "Winchester" (brand) barrel dovetail-mounted front sights were the #21, #73, #75, #77, #79, & #93.

The optional Lyman barrel dovetail-mounted front sights were the #3, #4, #5 Combination, & #26.
The optional Lyman rear sights were the #1A tang sight, the barrel dovetail mounted #6 folding leaf, & the side (receiver) mounted #21 peep sight (climbing Lyman).

I hope this info can help you with the sights (google the sights for pics).

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I have one of those Winchester ladder style carbine sights in my box of spare sights, if you're interested in buying one?
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

There is some pretty good pictures and info on sights at this link. It has several links from there detailing the sights for different periods.

http://winchestercollector.org/forum/wi ... s+Project/

If you can find a copy, even to borrow at the library, The Winchester Book by Madis has some pretty good info on sights and other details of the earlier guns.

To get a proper measurement on the barrel, measure it from the back edge of the front receiver ring, where the rear of the barrel is exposed.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
jringo8769
Levergunner

Post by jringo8769 »

well i will do that too...marlinman93 i pm'd u too...
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

Unknown....