1885 LW barrel reline.....lots of chips!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

1885 LW barrel reline.....lots of chips!

Post by rbertalotto »

Huge snow storm here in SE Massachusetts yesterday. We got 17"
Perfect day to head t9o the shop and bore the barrel of the old 1885 low wall in 32 Colt RF that I bought to convert to 32-20 CF.
First time I used the short PTG Interchangeable pilot drill bit starting at the muzzle and going all the way through. Last three relines I did I used the Brownells long bit and went in from both ends.
Everything went peachy keen! My biggest concern was breaking off the rather small thread that the extension I made required. But there were no issues. The PTG drill cut like a hot knife through butter. I had to turn a new pilot and then sand the inside of the old bore to get the pilot to fit all the way down the barrel without chattering. The pilot I ordered with the bit was way too lose. And the one I made would hang up on a couple places in the "sewer pipe" bore.
Another concern was getting enough cutting oil on the bit when inserting it so far into the hole. I set the bit up in the lathe so a flute was pointing up. Hoping this "reservoir" would carry enough oil. I also used a squirt can to shoot some oil into the bore. Maybe I'm using too much oil and all I needed to do was use a paintbrush and paint some oil in the cutting edges.....Comments please...

Sure wish I had a oil flow system on the lathe. But I'd need to be doing ab heck of a lot of these to make it wort it.

I couldn't get the barrel off this receiver and being a Low Wall I was VERY concerned about damaging the receiver even though I have a proper action wrench. Worked out fine leaving the receiver on the barrel.

Took 5 hours to bore the barrel. 75RPM and taking an 1/8" at a time.

Now I need to do the Hepburn and order the reamer....

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1885 LW barrel reline.....lots of chips!

Post by GunnyMack »

Boy how I miss the smell of cutting oil!
Looks like you did a fantastic job!
When I was at TSJC going through the 'gumsmiff' program they had some of PO Ackley's had made deep drills but the machine was long gone.
I miss those days!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Cool.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Image :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I would say that any time you end up with a 32wcf for a shooter you have done real good.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

These two will be my first and second 32WCF...Looking forward to playing with that pint sized cartridge!

If you are interested, lots more of my garage nonsense on my web site http://www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Interesting and informative post. I've been thinking that relining, which used to be the standard way to revive a low-pressure or very small cartidge chambered gun that had a bad bore, was a lost art! In the past I've had several 'smiths bring back Low-walls, small Martini's, a '92, and a Savage Model 219 "from graveside" by a reline.

The smiths I used have all retired, tho. Anybody have a current favorite gunsmith who will do a reline for a reasonable price (say under $500)? He'll need to have a .25-20WCF reamer, too--not all that common anymore.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

The best in the business is John Taylor,Puyallup, WA

A fantastic gunsmith and the dean of barrel lining.
Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
Mike Armstrong
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Mike Armstrong »

Thanks, I'll look him up! I even get up to WA now and again to aggravate my older (about a century!) brother who lives on Bainbridge Island and shoots near Poulsbo every week.
jringo8769
Levergunner

Post by jringo8769 »

excellent work.....love to see another one back on the way back....love it
"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
1. Jesus Christ
2. The American G. I.

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
The Republic will cease to exist when the government takes away from those who are willing to work to give to those who are not.
Unknown....