Paul lives this... but it's on my Bucket List

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Paul lives this... but it's on my Bucket List

Post by Old Ironsights »

And somehow, India seems safer to me than Colombia. Sorry Paul. :wink:

https://youtu.be/mkb4558ym5w

8)
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Paul lives this... but it's on my Bucket List

Post by Blaine »

You can do this in the Cascades, and Olympics. Love Forest Service Roads.....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

I've got FS roads up here too. Plenty around South Pass/Gannet Peak.

But that's what I ride here. I'd like to do it THERE.

Kind of like the difference between hunting Speed Goats in Wyoming and Ibex in Africa.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

It's safer in Colombia. Those crazy Indians ride on the wrong side of the road!
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Old Ironsights wrote:I've got FS roads up here too. Plenty around South Pass/Gannet Peak.

But that's what I ride here. I'd like to do it THERE.

Kind of like the difference between hunting Speed Goats in Wyoming and Ibex in Africa.
:wink: I'm not done in CONUS yet, then, there's Alaska, and the road to Belize to see my buddy.
If you don't thrash the motor too hard, a 2WD Ural would be perfect.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

OK. Now that I've watched the video - no I DON'T live that. Acrophobia and hanging bridges do not mix well at all... Shucks, and they get snow, too. The only place I could reach snow 'round these parts is forbidden to motorcycles - and is closed to all traffic right now while the volcano is blowing smoke... Still need to head south towards Ecuador and north to the Caribbean... and a lot of other places. One of my dream rides, however, is to cruise the Rockies up in the US of A. There are a LOT of great riding places up that way, just look out for elk and deer - they'll kill you on a bike.
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

AmBraCol wrote:It's safer in Colombia. Those crazy Indians ride on the wrong side of the road!

Not to mention that the folks (Paki's) that are angry at them (Hindi's) have nukes........... :mrgreen:

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

AmBraCol wrote:OK. Now that I've watched the video - no I DON'T live that. Acrophobia and hanging bridges do not mix well at all... Shucks, and they get snow, too. The only place I could reach snow 'round these parts is forbidden to motorcycles - and is closed to all traffic right now while the volcano is blowing smoke... Still need to head south towards Ecuador and north to the Caribbean... and a lot of other places. One of my dream rides, however, is to cruise the Rockies up in the US of A. There are a LOT of great riding places up that way, just look out for elk and deer - they'll kill you on a bike.
Paul, I was on a bus ride from Quito to Guayaquil. I swear before my Maker and Three Responsible Witnesses that it was about 10X more thrills than a body could normally take. The road(?) down the mountains was maybe a lane and a half. Mostly no guard rails. Drops of a thousand feet. And, this driver though he was Mario freaking Andretti.....This one curve had a huge carving of a demon on the stone cliff overlooking the curve....I gotta find some of those pics..... :shock: :shock:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

I'm in awe.

Those bikes are Royal Enfields? Not the Himalayan model, but I can't tell what else.
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

wecsoger wrote:I'm in awe.

Those bikes are Royal Enfields? Not the Himalayan model, but I can't tell what else.

It's hard to tell under all the gear, but it looked like some classics and maybe a Thunderbird (same bike as my Rumbler). Didn't see the good ol' Bullet though, but it's hard to tell for sure with all the gear and such.
Paul - in Pereira

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I saw something a while back about a woman that was riding solo across Africa. Looked like quite the adventure.

There are other makes of bikes around the world besides what were used to seeing. I think the woman in Africa was riding a Chinese or Indian bike or some such for part of her trip, or had pics of odd makes at a shop. Don't recall exactly.

Theres a two wheeled adventure section on the Expedition Portal forum. Personally, Ive done a lot of two wheeling in the past, I'm liking 4 wheels and being able to take the dog now. Cool seeing others doing adventures though.

There is a guy that's been living off his motorcycle with his dog in a sidecar for several years, he posted to several forums. Ara and Spirit? He travelled the Rockies a lot in the summer and was in the big Bend country in the winter.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

They sure don't believe in traveling light do they? And on street bikes? Maybe on a 650 beemer with light weight gear. Might be too heavy for those suspension bridges though. Couldn't be any heavier than all that stuff they were carrying.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:
wecsoger wrote:I'm in awe.

It's hard to tell under all the gear, but it looked like some classics and maybe a Thunderbird (same bike as my Rumbler). Didn't see the good ol' Bullet though, but it's hard to tell for sure with all the gear and such.
The original videoed ride was done on 500 Bullets.
The current packages still use the 500s but have added the new Himalayan.

http://www.rideofmylife.in/motorcycle-t ... -arunachal
Depending on the ride you select, you will ride our well maintained fleet of 500cc Royal Enfield motorcycle or the 411cc Royal Enfield dual sport Himalayan in mint condition with the gearshift on the left and the brake pedal on the right (just like on modern motorcycles). The motorcycles are upgraded by us to give you a trouble-free experience without taking away all the charm and fun of riding a Royal Enfields in India. The model of the motorcycles we provide for the tour is specified on each tour page.

The single-cylinder, air-cooled engine has a long stroke, giving it a relaxed demeanor and oodles of torque, so you can enjoy the scenery as you thump along in top gear at a relaxed 30 mph. The disc brake in front (and in rear for the Himalayan) makes quick stops a breeze and the seats for the rider and pillion are wide and extremely comfortable. The upright riding position is especially designed to give maximum comfort on long rides and the pillion seat also has a comfortable backrest to lean back on. In case you are a couple, we will adjust the shock absorbers to give a smooth ride, taking the additional weight into account.
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!