Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 270 WIN Carbine

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 270 WIN Carbine

Post by 6pt-sika »

I just won a Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA Carbine in 270 WIN . I already have one in 243 WIN and a rifle in 308 all three MCA's . I've liked these things since I was about 7 or 8 years old looking at pics in my pops old Shooters Bibles . Now I have a light cartridge and a medium cartridge . Here are some pics the seller took . Obviousely I've not had it in hand .Hopefully I'll get it Tuesday or Thursday of next week as the guns only about 200-250 miles away .

Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 270 WIN Carbine

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Oh boy....I like that....congrats on a really handsome rifle
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

RIHMFIRE wrote:Oh boy....I like that....congrats on a really handsome rifle
Thank you sir !

I have a 243 to match it , well the 243 doesn't have an added recoil pad .

The 243 MCA Carbine .

My MCA 308 rifle !

I have a Mannlicher Schoenauer 1908 Model Carbine in 8x56 MS as well as a CZ550 FS in 6.5x55 and a 98 Mauser semi custom mannlicher stocked carbine in 8x57 . I'd love to get my hands on one of the Steyr Zephyr 22LR mannlicher stocked rifles from the same time period .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The scope on my 243 is one of those Mickey Mouse external adjustment Balvar's I've since removed that and put the much better Redfield mount system . Well actually I took the old Redfield scope and mounts from the 308 and put them on the 243 , suppose I need to get another set of bases or sell the 308 .
Apples
Levergunner

Post by Apples »

Beautiful rifles.

One of the first examples Jeff Cooper gives when writing about his Scout rifle concept is a 6.5 Mannlicher carbine...

I might have a CZ variant one day. Who knows.

Whoops! Look at that: my first post here. Thanks for having me.

:-)
wolfdog
Levergunner 3.0

Post by wolfdog »

Old hunting buddy in upstate New York Ed Skorupski had one in 257 Roberts it had the double set triggers since then it has passed to his son, and now to his grandson. I fell in love with when I first saw it but have never been in a position to get one but I did manage to get a Sweedish Mauser done up in that style.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

wolfdog wrote:Old hunting buddy in upstate New York Ed Skorupski had one in 257 Roberts it had the double set triggers since then it has passed to his son, and now to his grandson. I fell in love with when I first saw it but have never been in a position to get one but I did manage to get a Sweedish Mauser done up in that style.
Very nice !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

The single trigger and double set trigger are supposed to be interchangeable . If I can get the single trigger in the 270 down to about 2 1/4 pounds I'll leave it the way it is otherwise I might see if my gunsmith buddy can get the double set out of the 308 and swap it with the 270 . The only issue may be the safety . My 243 and 270 are the later version with tang safety where as my 308 is a few years older with the side of the receiver safety .
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

That makes me wish I hadn't given my CZ 527 Hornet to GKJr......... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

gamekeeper wrote:That makes me wish I hadn't given my CZ 527 Hornet to GKJr......... :mrgreen:
They made the CZ527 FSin 222 REM for a few years . I wouldn't mind having one , I had two Sako Vixens in 222 with Mannlicher stocks one 20" and the other 24" . Very nice rifles but I never cared for the barrel band on Sako Mannlichers .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

There's no other rifle that gives as much satisfaction as an M-S when the floorplate is turned and the magazine glides smoothly in/out with precision.

Like a bank vault door.............

The only one I had was a M-1903 commercial 6.5x54MS carbine.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

While I'm not much of a bolt gun fan, I do have an eye for classy guns and without exception the Mannlicher is tops in the "classy look" boltgun category.

Picture this.......a picture of a Mannlicher and beneath it, a picture of a synthetic stocked Mossberg boltgun.....beauty and the beast. :D ----6
Yes, It’s Mighty, No Need To Prove It…..
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Got the MCA 270 in Friday at about 14:00 . I wanted to hunt Friday afternoon so I didn't do anything with it until that night . I took a nice old Leupold Vari XII 3-9 off another rifle and mounted it on the 270 and bore sighted the gun . Saturday (New Years Eve) I went out hunting first thing . I was up in a tree approx. 13-14 YARDS up I ranged it and the wind was a tad bitter temp was 22 degrees . After about two hours I said F this and came down . Got to the house backed the ATV in the garage , already had the rifle in the truck and I put my 444 with the big chunks of lead in the truck incase I saw a deer at the gun club on the way in .

At the club I saw no deer but had to get out and push the "automatic" gate open because it was to cold to operate correctly .

Once I was to my preferred range (we have three) , I took all my stuff out . I had purchased three boxes of Winchester 130 PowerPoints mostly because I'd gotten rid of all my 270 brass and I wanted WIN brand . Put a box at 25 a target at 50 and a target at 100
Shot two at 25 yards and they were pretty much where they were supposed to be , shot two at 50 same thing . Shot a pair at 100 and they were less then 2" from where I wanted them . So theoretically I could have hunted with this bad boy as bore sighted and killed a deer most anywhere I would have shot on my property as I rarely at best get anything at 100 yards or over . So I made a slight adjustment and fired two more . All good ! I let the gun cool and fire a couple 3 shot groups amazingly this factory stuff in a mannlucher stocked rifle was staying between 3/4" and 1" . All things considered I'm pleased !

Once I get back from the Philippines in April I'll work up loads for this one with Hornady 130 SST , Barnes 130 TSX , Nosler 130 BT , Nosler 130 AB and Combined Technology 130 ST . I also have some Nosler 130 Partitions I may try at some point .

As I sit here typing this the 270 sits in the front rack on my ATV in the garage ready to go out in the AM and ring in the New Year ! Have seven days to do one in with this rifle before our season ends !
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Sixgun wrote:While I'm not much of a bolt gun fan, I do have an eye for classy guns and without exception the Mannlicher is tops in the "classy look" boltgun category.

Picture this.......a picture of a Mannlicher and beneath it, a picture of a synthetic stocked Mossberg boltgun.....beauty and the beast. :D ----6
I agree with you 100% (obviousely) on the MS rifles !

But I always thought the Mauser 66 and 660 rifles were in the same league .

http://cdn.revivaler.com/wp-content/upl ... de.de_.jpg

http://www.huntinglodge.be/wp-content/u ... tzen-1.jpg
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Took a group photo a few minutes ago !

1965 Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 243 with an old Redfield 3-9 closest .
CZ550 FS 6.5x55 with a Leupold Vari XIII 3.5-10AO in the middle .
1966 Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 270 with a Leupold Vari XII 3-9 at the top !

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

I have early 70's vintage Bianchi Cobra slings on all three rifles .
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Very sweet rifle, I've always liked european light rifles. Now i suppose you will need a set of tweeds to go shoot in.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

walks with gun wrote:Very sweet rifle, I've always liked european light rifles. Now i suppose you will need a set of tweeds to go shoot in.
Not hardly ! But I do have a Tweed sports coat I wear to more refined occasions .
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well I got the new to me Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 270 blooded this evening !

Had a group of 8-12 doe come up within 50 yards of me around 16:45ish . I was finally able to get a shot at about 42-44 yards thru a very small hole in the thicket after the shot she went maybe 60 yards and rolled up dead . I'm sorry to say I was using factory WIN Power Point 130 grain ammo instead of handloads , being at the end of the season and me not having this gun a week yet I just got it sighted in with the factory and started carrying it .

6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Going to carry an AR-10 260 REM in the morning . But if I go with my friends Saturday I think I'll take the old 270 along :wink:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

I did up a Mexican Mauser Mannlicher stocked 7x57 for a a dear friend, sent it to him and he didn't like it! Sent it back to me to lop off all that extra wood. So I shortened it & returned it. Few years later he sent it back and said keep it I've got too many guns.
Something classy about those long stocks that nothing else has!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!