Best source for new - and used - brass?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

Best source for new - and used - brass?

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Made myself a promise/goal this year to reload a lot more often - and thus far I am doing pretty good. Good enough that I am depleting my stockpile of brass. I must admit I am a brass whore - I'll pick up just about anything not tied down at the range given half a chance. :oops:

Anyway, after that confession (it is good for the soul! :wink: ), I was wondering what source you thought was best for new brass? How about once-fired (used) brass? I'm thinking common calibers; .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .45 Colt. I know I'll have to buy new to get .44 Russian or .38 Colt. I've bought brass from MidwayUSA before, and know they are pretty good. Gun shows can often be great too. But, if I want to keep up the tempo I've set, I'll need to get more pretty soon.

So, who do you like best?

Thanks!
new pig hunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by new pig hunter »

sounds to me like you already have the right idea: if it's for sale, buy it.

Cheers,

Carl
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

I've only bought at local gun stores, MidwayUSA and gun shows. For the calibers you mention there's not to much on the used market except the 38 spl. You might take a look at GI Brass http://www.gibrass.com/ but I just looked and they've only got 30 carbine (I KNOW you've got a couple of those) - you could check out their powder to see if there's any there you could use. Anyway, I look forward to hearing who's got the best deals. :D
Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

I've gotten some great deals for used brass off of Gunbroker. I'm also looking to work something out from my local gun store and their indoor range.

I too scour the ranges, made quite a haul today up at Sleepy Creek. Picked up ~200 of .45acp and of 9mm. Good exercise too.

Midway for new.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.
old goat
Levergunner 2.0

Post by old goat »

...If Starline makes it, buy new cases direct from Starline Brass.

...old goat
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

Get yourself a membership at an indoor range where it's mostly handgun.

Those guys (and gals) pop off boxes and boxes of rounds, and very few reload. Many are there to practice home defense; they're not gun nuts per se. It's there for the sweeping.

You could offer to buy their brass from them for a couple bucks. If they shoot revolvers, the stuff won't even hit the ground.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

If you travel alot stop by anywhere that sells sporting goods. I usually hit the small town hardware stores. I picked up some 45 colt brass for $15 dollars a bag last month and 243 brass for $12 a bag last week. Alot of these places have always stock this stuff even though the number of people reloading is alot less, they still keep it on the shelf. And it's been there for a while.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

sobenk wrote:Get yourself a membership at an indoor range where it's mostly handgun.

Those guys (and gals) pop off boxes and boxes of rounds, and very few reload. Many are there to practice home defense; they're not gun nuts per se. It's there for the sweeping.

You could offer to buy their brass from them for a couple bucks. If they shoot revolvers, the stuff won't even hit the ground.
That is where I've picked up most of my "mix and match" brass - the indoor range. A lot of these ranges don't want you picking up brass - I make it a point to tell them I am a reloader, and that is my property, so I am picking up my brass. Occassionally other brass finds its way into my bag - I figure it is some form of osmosis, but haven't spent time studying the phenoneum... :wink:

I like the idea of offering a couple bucks to the shooter beside you - makes it easier to scrounge!!! :D
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

I LIKE STARLINE BRASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I haven't tried them, but... Chetenne Brass

A good source: Gun Line

An EXCELLENT supplier: Top Brass, Inc.

Besides Starline and the other sources others have mentioned I have a good source of .30-30 once-fired I've foun to be excellent, but I've got to do a little diggin' to round up their info again.

BTW: Starline shows .38-55 & .50-90 brass as avail for those that're interessted.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

I’m a bit leery of buying & reloading “used brassâ€