Trip to the range w/ 1894S.... Well snot!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Trip to the range w/ 1894S.... Well snot!

Post by 2ndovc »

Had some time yesterday to stop and try out the Marlin .44

I took along two hand loads that have been good shooters in all of my other .44 Magnums but this was different.
The 240Gr JHP was all over as can be seen in the bottom target. The top target was 240 Gr. LSWC with a beveled base. Significantly better but in my other Marlin .44 this load is usually one big ragged hole at 50 yds. Checked the sights too. Nothing loose.

I haven't slugged the bore yet but betting it's a bit oversized. Going to try a couple different JHP loads but not sure if it will make much of a difference. I don't need a cast bullet dedicated .44 Mag. Was hoping to make this one an all purpose scout rifle.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
kasTX
Levergunner 1.0

Re: Trip to the range w/ 1894S.... Well snot!

Post by kasTX »

My 1894S is doing the same thing. Lost track of how many different loads I tried. In a different thread on accuracy, it was suggested that in cases like this you can take everything off forward of the receiver except the barrel and check for accuracy again.

I did just that and the rifle shot about an inch and a half at fifty yards. I have yet to resolve the underlying issues, but at least I have an idea where the problems are and I am pretty sure I don't need a barrel.

Might be worth trying on yours.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Geeze.....KasTX said it pretty well. I don't know if it's my eyes but are a few of the holes on the bottom target going in crooked?

Whenever a rifle shoots that bad there's something major going on.....like maybe a 45 Colt barrel that's marked 44 Mag?----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

It would be a good idea to compare the diameters of the 2 types of bullets you are using, and to slug the bore.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

That's heartbreaking. Hope you can sort it out. The little Marlins are usually excellent shooters.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Definitely time to dig out a round ball and some mikes. Is that hole at 2 O'clock a sideways hit?
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Bronco
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bronco »

My LBT LFN 280gr mold casts .433 dia.! Needed then .432 before I changed barrels in my 1894. If you decide to want to try a larger dia. bullet, let me know and I can send them to you as cast or as sized and lubed to .431 with a gc. or both. I have not posted the path that led me to re-barrel yet, but will some time! As lubed with gc they come to 298 grains. But don't think they will stabilize with the factory twist

John
Gettin old ain't for sissies!
There just has to be dogs in heaven !
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

kasTX wrote:My 1894S is doing the same thing. Lost track of how many different loads I tried. In a different thread on accuracy, it was suggested that in cases like this you can take everything off forward of the receiver except the barrel and check for accuracy again.

I did just that and the rifle shot about an inch and a half at fifty yards. I have yet to resolve the underlying issues, but at least I have an idea where the problems are and I am pretty sure I don't need a barrel.

Might be worth trying on yours.
^this

I have done this also and it does help to troubleshoot the trouble.

what does the muzzle crown look like? sometimes this is an issue that's an easy fix.
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Jes a reminder; SAAMI specs. on .44 Magnum rifle barrels is .431" not .429" like for handguns. Why? I dunno, but with "normal" manufacturing tolerances, .432" groove diameter would be acceptable. I slugged my .44 Mag levergun and it was out of tolerance at .432"+, but I got a ranch Dog mold and my cast 265 RNFP bullets shoot pretty good at .433"-.4335"...
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jason's text read that the 240 jacketed hollow points. Jacketed bullets will still perform decently even if several thousandths undersized......not a foot at 50 yards....which might explain why his swc's shot better....probably larger and depending on alloy, may have expanded a bit to fill in the grooves. Perhaps the barrel is .432-3 and the jacketed bullets were .427-8

If you guys ever noticed, jacketed bullets seldom mike at their advertised diameters except match bullets or the ones for .22 centerfires. Most always a thou. under.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Yep... Just cut to it & load up the JHP
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

After my recent headaches with a brand new Henry 41, I had made the mistake of loading up Berry plated stuff that FOULED so badly I was getting same kinds of groups.

I scrubbed with brushes, Sweets 762 and about 500 patches later I got 1 hole groups with a few different hand loads. Try a copper cleaner... Also used JB bore cleaner.

Also, I know that the twist rates have changed for 44, the old rate was 1:38( if memory serves) and now it's much faster, what exactly I can't remember, but I doubt it TOO fast.

Is it new or used?
Keep us posted!
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

GunnyMack wrote:After my recent headaches with a brand new Henry 41, I had made the mistake of loading up Berry plated stuff that FOULED so badly I was getting same kinds of groups.

I scrubbed with brushes, Sweets 762 and about 500 patches later I got 1 hole groups with a few different hand loads. Try a copper cleaner... Also used JB bore cleaner.

Also, I know that the twist rates have changed for 44, the old rate was 1:38( if memory serves) and now it's much faster, what exactly I can't remember, but I doubt it TOO fast.

Is it new or used?
Keep us posted!
I bought it used. Not sure of the vintage but it is a JM proofed barrel.

Grizz,
Crown looks good. I hadn't checked that and was hoping it was that simple.

Jack,

The holes in the bottom target at 3:00 are actually two holes. Second one is there purely by accident.

Not sure what I'm going to do with it. I have some hotter W296 loads that I'm going to try but it may sit for awhile too.
First Marlin I've had that didn't shoot extremely well.
I had a better day at the range with the Ruger 556 AR. I'll put those pictures up in a little while.

jb 8)

Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I second the idea of taking off the fore-end and see how she does...... :idea:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

I sent my SS 1894 .44 mag ( JM marked, pre Rem.) back to Marlin due to oversized bore. They replaced the barrel with one that sluggs at .4295". It then became a real accurate shooter with cast.
It shot fine with the old barrel with jacketed bullets but I wanted to take advantage of the Ballard rifling using cast bullets.
Oversize bullets are the only other choice besides a new barrel. Good luck!
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Sixgunner may have hit on something; 44-40 bullets are .427". Could some 44-40 bullets have gotten mixed up with .44 Magnum?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Not likely.

jb 8)