Re : Winchester 92 production by cal

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
biggfoot44
Levergunner

Re : Winchester 92 production by cal

Post by biggfoot44 »

What are the ballpark breakdown by calibre, with specific intrest in .32WCF?
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Re : Winchester 92 production by cal

Post by Griff »

There's a list of these for each of the Winchester in George Madis' book, "The Winchester Book". I think it's also broken out by mdl 53 & mdl 65, which are variants of the mdl 1892.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
twobit
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Re : Winchester 92 production by cal

Post by twobit »

biggfoot44 wrote:What are the ballpark breakdown by calibre, with specific intrest in .32WCF?
Hello BF44,

I have been conducting a research survey of the Model 1892 rifles for 5 years now in an effort to determine the correct answer to questions just like this one. To date I have catalogued just over 9,200 individual rifles. I would like to eventually get several thousand more in an effort to generate the most accurate statistics I can. Keep in mind that the work will only reflect the rifles I have come in contact with via many different auction houses and in private collections. The actual production numbers may be different. In an effort to verify this I am also trying to categorize all of the original factory ledger data contained in the Winchester records for the first 380,000 Model 1892 rifles produced. That spreadsheet has a potential 5,700,000 data entry cells. So this is no small undertaking. Then I can compare that "real" number with what is out in the market place over the time period of the research.

From the work I have done to date I can without doubt say that the rarity, configuration statistics, and caliber breakdowns in the work by Madis is not correct. If you (or anybody reading this) have any Model 1892 rifles and are willing to include them in my work I would greatly appreciate it. Every gun is important and this sort of project can only be successful with the help and input of many people. I literally have several guys around the world who regularly send me information. Her is a link to the work: http://winchestercollector.org/forum/wi ... le-survey/

In answer to your original question, the last time I calculated the caliber statistics was when I had 6003 rifles in my data covering the entire production range of almost 1 million rifles. At that time this was the breakdown:
25-20 WCF 31.3%
32 WCF 26.6%
38 WCF 20.1%
44 WCF 21.8%

I will stress again that this only represents the rifles that I have been in contact with and may not represent the true produced numbers.

I hope this helps some
Michael
2bitrifles@gmail.com
Michael Puzio
Winchester Model 1892 Collector, Research & Valuations