Good Day at the Range

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Good Day at the Range

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Made a trip to the range today and actually remembered to bring along my camera. :D

Wanted to see how my Chinese 1887 would pattern with slugs, so I set-up the target stand at 30 yards to see. #1 - shoots low and to the right. #2 - I'm sure it would group better with better ammo. and #3 - even 2-3/4" slugs from the bench will bruise you good. :cry: :lol:

(each square is 1" by 1")

Decided to try the marlin 1894 44mag I picked up a week ago. Only had an old box of Imperial ammo (thought it was Dominion when I marked the target) and I'm still waiting for a rear sight elevator to come in with my order or replacement screws for it. So seeing as how I couldn't make any adjustments, I left it at 30 yards. With some load development I think I could really get to like this gun.

And finally dragged out my 1/2 round 1/2 octagon Marlin 1893 in 38-55. First time shooting it and first time with this load. With a little tweeking could be quite good.

And a couple videos for those so inclined :D (and yes, I know the video quality from my little digital camera isn't that great).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxobZSc82fE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIybqSedn3E&feature=user
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

most excellent range reports looks like you have some fine shooters there.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

38-55 1, Iowa Sandstone 0.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Rimfire McNutjob wrote:38-55 1, Iowa Sandstone 0.
Ahem...... PEI sandstone :wink: I shoulda taped what the 44 Magnum did to it :shock:
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent post KK! :D
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

KK: What slug ammo did you use in the Chinese 1887?

Great range report, BTW, thanks!

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

Noah Zark wrote:KK: What slug ammo did you use in the Chinese 1887?

Great range report, BTW, thanks!

Noah
Winchester 1 oz hollow point rifled slugs. Just cheap stuff I had kicking around. I've been thinking about picking up a roundball mold and loading up my own to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of a pumpkin ball.
Killer Kanuck
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Killer Kanuck »

BTW - the more I shoot this 1887 copy, the more I like it. Quickly becoming one of my favorite guns. If you have any inkling towards one, I'd suggest getting it sooner rather than later. I've heard that the factory in China that produced them was sold and is currently "restructuring".
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

That's good shooting ! I'm not going to be holding targets up, for you to shoot, anytime soon - that's for sure ! :wink: :mrgreen:
MikeS.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by MikeS. »

Is there such a thing as a bad range day???

Thanks KK.
MikeS.

Master Mason
Worshipful Master of Triluminar Lodge 117
Jefferson county, WV.