1911 collectors, this is for you

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

1911 collectors, this is for you

Post by jdad »

I guess this is one of those "Holy Grails". 5 bids, 2 weeks to go, and it's already at $10k.

http://www.gunauction.com/buy/14094303

$$$$$$$$$$$
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: 1911 collectors, this is for you

Post by J Miller »

Wow!

Thankfully, not for me. First time I fired it and that long hammer spur bit me I'd up grade it to a 1911a1 style. That would be just wrong.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

IMO, it is overpriced. If CMP ever gets the 1911s that have been in storage, I suspect it will knock the market on the older 1911s.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

horsesoldier03 wrote:IMO, it is overpriced. If CMP ever gets the 1911s that have been in storage, I suspect it will knock the market on the older 1911s.

Overpriced?? It's an auction and that's what it's bid to....so far.

Did you read the description? 1st year of production, only the first 2400 produced were in this configuration, all matching numbers except for the barrel and you think the CMP rebuilt/mismatched post WW2 pistols will affect the prices of pre-WW2 collector grade pistols?

Just noticed we joined the forum 1 day apart.
wecsoger
Senior Levergunner

Post by wecsoger »

Probably a firearm that will never chamber a round again in its existence.

I'm sure some one will buy it, but hope that it doesn't wind up in the darkness in a safe somewhere.
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

wecsoger wrote:Probably a firearm that will never chamber a round again in its existence.

I'm sure some one will buy it, but hope that it doesn't wind up in the darkness in a safe somewhere.
The "historian", for the Colt Collectors Assoc. lives nearby. I had the opportunity to see his vault, more like a 20'x30' room with glass cases around the walls filled with every variation of every Colt pistol produced.( He doesn't own a single revolver). Most are pre-WW2. In the center of the room are cases with his engraved Colt pistols. It was one of those "Holy stuff", lower jaw dropping to the floor, moments when he turned on the lights. This is the sort of collector that would be bidding on this one.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

horsesoldier03 wrote:IMO, it is overpriced. If CMP ever gets the 1911s that have been in storage, I suspect it will knock the market on the older 1911s.

Those 1911s will disappear overnight and I seriously doubt they will have any effect on Pre WWI pistol prices. No more than the cobbled together Garands they've been offering the last few years. I have a 1911 that was made in 1913 that is still 100% correct for that years' production but the finish is worn and not worth high dollars but still worth far more than the $400 I paid for it. The value is one hundred percent in the perspective of the buyer. If he or she feels that it's a $10,000 pistol or more and has the means to prove it then there we have a free market economy at it's finest.

Is an 1873 Winchester 1 of 1000 worth what they are selling for? As long as there are people out there with money to invest in an appreciating commodity it is.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I'd be shooting that hunk of iron!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

I guess I should have said that it isn't worth 10000 of my dollars.
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I wouldn't have it if they gave it to me. Well not for my own use or enjoyment of course. But maybe just to get that old pile of junk off the street :mrgreen:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Let the market do its own stuff. It's what raises prices for the guys who have safes full of this kinds of things. I follow the collectors market pretty close and my bud who is a top notch 1911 collector has em all, including the 1909 which only 22 were made.

That 1911 pictured is more like a 6-8 K gun because of condition...but let the market set the prices. :D -----6
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Have no dog in this fight, and don't follow 1911 prices. But when a seller starts an auction at a penny, it truly lets the market speak for a gun's value. We might not get half that price walking around gun shows trying to peddle a similar gun. But if it's at a penny auction, the bidders decide what it's worth, and I'd say that's $10k at this point.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/