Mini mauser Mark X, Manchester, England

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Mini mauser Mark X, Manchester, England

Post by Old Savage »

Anyone know who made these? Appears to have CZ stamped in a circle after Manchester, England on the receiver.
Zastava it turns out as per Gun Auctions.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Mini mauser Mark X, Manchester, England

Post by .45colt »

I would like to know more about these as well. A local shop has a Mark X 7x57 .looks like new but they want a lot for it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Only 50 yd sight in but encouraging.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

I really like the mini action. They've been imported by several different gun companies, with somewhat differing setups. I had a CZ 527, but never warmed up to the safety operating backwards from everything else, and didn't like the protruding magazine or very limited scope mount options at the time, or the scope handle not being bent enough to have the scope as low as desired. The "regular" type guns like the mini Mausers deal with most of that, though often aren't finished as nicely. Still, nice guns, and a nice niche, being so small and light compared to standard size guns.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

All the Mark X rifles are made by CZ, who supplied actions only, barreled actions, and/or completed rifles to various other entities over the years (Interarms in particular).

They're basically Mauser 98 rifles, both full-size & miniature (Mini-Mauser) - although some variations have a funky safety movement, opposite the "normal" on/off directions.

The Mark X .375H&H Whitworth is in heavy demand, as it was a very affordable representation of the classic British (African) Sporting Rifle.

Once upon a time, I had a new/ordered .375H&H CZ-550 Safari (basically the same as a Mark X) that exhibited very good, if not fine, workmanship.

Last edited by Pete44ru on Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

.45colt wrote:I would like to know more about these as well. A local shop has a Mark X 7x57 .looks like new but they want a lot for it.
Different gun, built on a full size action. The mini actions are scaled to the 223 size cartridge.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Pete I believe it was made by Zastava which also uses the Letters CZ in a circle.

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I think you're right, Fred - my bad :oops:

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Looks like they make the same rifle now calling it a Model 85.

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Carlsen Highway »

They are Zastava model 85 rifles, made in the old Yugoslavia. The mini-action has got nothing to do with a Mauser, but anyway.
It is very similar to the old Sako Vixen action. (although the bolt handle is even smaller.) I had one and it was a pretty good little rifle, in .223. Also, you can get some very nice figured wood on them too, at least over here you can.

Zastava also make full size rifles that are Mauser actions. In my experience, the current rifles model 98 rifles (sold as model 70)can be rough, sloppy and have feeding issues. The old Mark X rifles were also made by Zastava, as were similar model sold under Harrington and Richardson name.

CZ rifles are totally different and are made in Czech republic, (previously they were Brno rifles.)
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I see they show controlled round feed on the Model 85. Mine does not have that. However, it does appear to be this rifle in .223
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Yes thats the Zastava model 85.
Theres a long guide rib that's in the same position on the bolt body which at first sight looks like a Mauser long extractor, but its a push feed action, with an enclosed bolt head, virtually the same as the Sako L461.
I am not sure why they call it a "Mini-Mauser" or say it has controlled feed - perhaps a conflagration with the other Mauser 98 long action sporting rifle they make, which actually is a proper Mauser-type bolt action.
A person who carries a cat home by the tail, will receive information that will always be useful to them.
Mark Twain
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

This picture from Impact Guns of an M85 in 7.62x39 shows controlled round feed but mine made in Feb 87 is as you describe.

JB
Senior Levergunner

Post by JB »

I owned a M85 mini mausers in 7.62x39. Most of the actions were pretty rough as they came from the factory. They could be smoothed up some with a little work though.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the help fellows, think I have pretty good idea now of the variants and where mine fits in.

Carlsen Highway
Levergunner 2.0

Old Savage wrote:This picture from Impact Guns of an M85 in 7.62x39 shows controlled round feed but mine made in Feb 87 is as you describe.
That picture is not from a Mini-Mauser M85, its actually of the actual Mauser 98 model that Zastava make. (which to continue with the misleading marketing, is called a "Model 70") Someone has lifted the wrong photo from Zastava for their website.

It is a bit confusing because the Mini-Mauser M85 was never a Mauser action, but they call it a "mini-Mauser" and it was never controlled feed, but they say it was.

(Zastava justify the name in their blurb by saying the rifle incorporates the basic principles of the Mauser action. It doesn't really, but its a neat copy of a Sako, which is just as good.
I would love one in 7.62x39, but I would have to put a larger bolt handle on it.)
Mark Twain