Cast Bullet love

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Cast Bullet love

Post by JReed »

Dont know how many here watch this guy but thought I would share this one.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HHbWL83fJAw
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Cast Bullet love

Post by Griff »

That 340gr 44Mag @1500+fps outta that Mare's Leg would end my shooting day! Sorta like when I asked double murder suspect why he killed the two gangbangers when only one was threatening him with a knife? His answer, "Well I didn't know that forty-four Magnum would go thru that 1st (edited racial slur), and kill t'other (edited racial slur) too!"
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Too much yack yack, not enough boom boom. Besides, this time I didn't learn nuthin new. :|

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

As a semi old guy, I never would have thought that cast bullets would be so big in our world. Back in the day when I started ('72) casting, the only guys who did it were guys who were cash poor and wanted to shoot a lot. No internet or other people to learn from....only the 45th Lyman manual, trial and error, an occasional call to Lyman, and determination to succeed.

Now here I am, over 40 years later, with a couple of hundred moulds, 5-10g's in equipment, a head full of info, thousands of pounds in lead, 1,000 pounds of Linotype, 200 pounds of tin, retire this month..............and I'm starting to like jacketed bullets. Dang! Where's that Jack Daniels? :D ---6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

J Miller wrote:Too much yack yack, not enough boom boom. Besides, this time I didn't learn nuthin new. :|

Joe
He aims more at the AR/AK generation of shooters, so not anything new for an old hand like yourself Joe :D . I just like to see that a guy with as many subscribers as him did a video on it and I feel did a good job of trying to garner interest in the younger crowed.

He works at a Gun Store down around Atlanta and usualy has a lot of really neat vintage weapons on his channel. He did a video specificly on that Matchlock he had at the begining.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Sixgun,
I could have written your post. Other than the quantity of equipment and supplies our paths have followed basically the same direction.
I've always liked jacketed bullets in rifles though. Pistols ... um not so much.

Jeremy,
Ok, that makes sense then. That matchlock was a cool rifle. I'd like to shoot one some day.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I'm in the same scenario as Sixgun. I started casting to allow me to shoot more, as I had a great source of lead, but not much money to buy bullets. Now I look at my milk crate full of molds and wonder how it went so out of control!
I still use a small selection of jacketed bullets, but not much selection. I also still have a large quantity of pistol and rifle jacketed bullets I need to take to the gun show and get rid of! Haven't touched some of them in a couple decades or more, and wont.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Joe and Marlinman......yep....I still love those cast bullets and still use them a lot as the guns I shoot there is no alternative.....unless I want to pay $1.50 for custom jacketed bullets.

This WW2/Military stuff has really bitten me lately......03A3, Garand, BAR, M1A, and a multitude of AR's....yea , they will all eat cast.......in fact, the O3A3 Smith Carona with 6 groove rifling loves cast better than anything.

The BAR eats up those 150 grain Hornadys and 3031 like there's no tomorrow.----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I got that to the video maker, cast bullets were a "new" discovery, and chuckled at his enthusiasm. I started casting to feed my muzzleloader. And for my .53caliber Hawken clone it was a necessity as supplies of readymade .520 were too erractic and .526 near impossible to find.

I didn't start casting cartridge bullets until I started shooting BP loads for CAS, in the mid '80s! I feel lucky that I had a great mentor for that transition... You can't believe the number of questions I pestered Mike Venturino with! And when I got a Sharps, it just went up1 Luckily, he didn't give Terry's pat answer, 'cause I surely didn't know enough to ask an intelligent question! And I've still got a lot to learn. And, yeah, those molds add up quick!

And now, except for the ARs, that's about all I shoot! An '03A3 is needed in my future... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

He is an enthusiastic individual. :lol: One of his best vidios is firing an AR till it failled
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis