SCORE!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

SCORE!

Post by fordwannabe »

The Friday before deer season(day after Thanksgiving)my pusher called and said he had something I needed. I bought the Marlin in 375 Winchester I asked about in a previous post. I got a partial box of bullets with it 9 to be exact. I used 6 for sighting in 1 to shoot a doe, and have 2 left, but I was getting worried about not having any brass, or ammo. I placed an ad on another site and got no response. I called my oddball brass guy nada. I went to all the gun shops in the area, even the one that specializes in CAS and older guns. No luck, my buddy who works at the one store even laughed at me as they haven't seen any in well over a year and several of the employees shoot 375. Dagnabit what am I going to do? Oh well lets go get the kid a rope cocker for his new Christmas crossbow. I stroll into the archery shop in town, who has also always had a few boxes of ammo on a shelf behind the counter. YEEHAW sitting on that shelf are not one but TWO boxes of 1980's-1990's Winchester/Olin 200 grain round nose. Yes they were $40 a box and I was only going to get one when I says to myself THAT'S JUST DUMB and I bought both. Wahoo! The only other interesting ammo he had was a box of 356 Winchester in the same style box. He said " I've had that ammo a couple years." No poop the top box was VERY sun faded, whatever, He had it waiting for me. And yes I did call my buddy at the other shop, and No I cannot type his reply as this is a Nice place and the computer would x it out anyway. I was thrilled. I got 100 cast from Bullshop to try when these are empty but it may take a while. As an aside I did find one fellow on GB who had once fired brass for sale $4 a piece....No Thanks. Happy Happy Happy I am. Tom
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Re: SCORE!

Post by plowboy 45 »

See there, it's all gonna work out
Congratulations on the score
:D :D 8)

Now if I could just walk in somewhere and find 38 56 id be good
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Plow boy, I don't know if you saw it before but I was curious how far is Purvis from the birthplace of my Momma, Grenada MS? Thanks
a Pennsylvanian who has been accused of clinging to my religion and my guns......Good assessment skills.
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Great score !!
----- Doug
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I'm surprised Starline doesn't make a run of it every once in awhile.

The other one you hardly ever see is 218 Bee...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

fordwannabe wrote:Plow boy, I don't know if you saw it before but I was curious how far is Purvis from the birthplace of my Momma, Grenada MS? Thanks

200 miles give or take
Passed through there a gozillion times on my way to Memphis, when I pulled a flatbed
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

plowboy 45 wrote:
fordwannabe wrote:Plow boy, I don't know if you saw it before but I was curious how far is Purvis from the birthplace of my Momma, Grenada MS? Thanks

200 miles give or take
Passed through there a gozillion times on my way to Memphis, when I pulled a flatbed
I lived at mustang for a spell, I welded for unit drilling
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Woops, got my posters mixed up there a little bit, I seen Moore o.k.
Sorry bout that Ford, guess I responded to you and seen where streetstar is located :? :oops: :?
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Don't be afraid to use Starline 38-55 trimmed to length for your cast bullet loads. You can usually find that a few times a year.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I don't believe Starline has ever made any 375 Winchester brass. But Tom, keep a watch on Winchester... one can never seem to anticipate when they'll make a run... seems they're overdue for both 375 Win and .32-40.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice grab - a very merry Christmas, indeed !

BTW - I used to shoot lead boolit .38-55 ammo through my .375 BB94, w/o any issues.

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

The Marlin 375 is actually chambered for the 38-55. You won't have to trim brass but you can make it from 30-30. I found the factory 200 very accurate in my Marlin.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I seem to recall in the dim recesses of memory, that you shouldn't use 38-55, 30-30, etc, brass for full power 375 Win load levels. Whether that still holds true or not, I'm not sure.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

375 Winchester brass is very slightly thicker in the web and lower portion of the walls, over 30-30 and 38-55 brass. The notion that extra few thousandths of brass is required or it will ruin your rifle when operating at 375 pressure is somewhat dubious to me. In the overall picture, the pressure is contained by the gun, not the brass. The brass does the sealing. YMMV.

Great score on the ammo though!
NRA Life Member
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Everything I see says the case head is thinner in the 38-55 and 30-30. I also want to hot rod this one a bit, I got some 350wfn's and reloader 7 for 1500fps. I also have two original 38-55 and do not want to use 38-55 cases for fear they might go in an original and that would not be good. Rumor is Winchester will make some this summer, knowing Winchester if they are saying summer we might see some by the beginning of next year. Tom
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Here's the internal differences
FB_IMG_1451412141281.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NRA Life Member
fordwannabe
Advanced Levergunner

Post by fordwannabe »

Thanks Ted
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

There is an article by Paco describing using 38-55 brass for full power loads. IIRC he said he could get 4 more grains of his favored powder in those loads.

Yes, you will find it in the articles section of Leverguns in the first paragraph. Or Google Paco Kelly articles.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...