Restrictions on Brass purchase?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Restrictions on Brass purchase?

Post by Bullard4075 »

Wife just walked in and said one of her friends said something to the effect that
the government is restricting the purchase of brass.
Urban rumor?
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Restrictions on Brass purchase?

Post by Blaine »

This is the only-ist thing I ever heard of, and I'm not sure of it's status these days. It was that DoD was going to curtail the selling of spent brass to ammo makers.....

Snopes, so who knows?
http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/casings.asp
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I had a friend call me last week about a rumor he'd heard that ammo manufacturers we being forced to not use any "preservatives" in their powders.

What Blaine posted is the onlyiest time I heard of brass sales being curtailed. Supplies are still short, and in some cartridges, non-existant, but only from a supply issue, not due to any dot-gov restriction.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

We have enough real problems to fight without these "the sky is falling" silly rumors from people who believe everything they see on the internet and every backalley rumor.

Please, enough already!! :roll:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:I had a friend call me last week about a rumor he'd heard that ammo manufacturers we being forced to not use any "preservatives" in their powders.

What Blaine posted is the onlyiest time I heard of brass sales being curtailed. Supplies are still short, and in some cartridges, non-existant, but only from a supply issue, not due to any dot-gov restriction.
Well, for a brief time period it was true. I daresay, after looking into this, that the "truth" probably only last a short time. DoD quickly changed it's mind after a lot of pressure.

Here here's the Georgia Arms side of the story.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/georgia-arms/
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

jnyork wrote:We have enough real problems to fight without these "the sky is falling" silly rumors from people who believe everything they see on the internet and every backalley rumor.

Please, enough already!! :roll:
Come on now !! I'm asking on the forum to get information not "spread" rumors. :roll:
Cut me a little slack please.

If I can't ask friends,whom would you suggest I ask.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

Griff wrote:I had a friend call me last week about a rumor he'd heard that ammo manufacturers we being forced to not use any "preservatives" in their powders.

For a very brief time, the Dept. of Defense stopped sales of once-fired military brass, requiring the services to instead sell them all for scrap. Didn't last long, and never had anything to do with sales in the civilian market.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Pisgah wrote:

For a very brief time, the Dept. of Defense stopped sales of once-fired military brass, requiring the services to instead sell them all for scrap. Didn't last long, and never had anything to do with sales in the civilian market.
Thank you both for your polite response.
Jeff Cooper
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

"If I can't ask friends,whom would you suggest I ask."

-Bullard4570

Maybe check with the NRA??
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd say it's a rumor.

I don't know how many of you might remember back in the 1970's when Johnny Carson as part of his opening monologue told a joke saying there was going to be a toilet paper shortage. Well it was a joke.
BUT, since people had heard it they started to fear it so they started buying toilet paper to stock up. Before long there really was a shortage.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Ray Newman wrote:"If I can't ask friends,whom would you suggest I ask."

-Bullard4570

Maybe check with the NRA??
Thanks, but two gentlemen answered politely without being snarky.
Jeff Cooper