Product Review...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Product Review...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Best. Product. Ever. (well, nearly...)

I hate shooting paper. I need to hear my hits - either "whop" or "clang".

But my Armorplate Gong and frame is a PITA to haul around.

Enter the Product:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/ ... ?a=1869360

This is a must have. Keep the gong nice and flat in your truck and hang it on any handy T post on your property... or carry one of your own. Whatever. Easier than hauling an H frame.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Product Review...

Post by JerryB »

Nice, I like the looks of it.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
mikld
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mikld »

Looks good, but you still gotta lug around the plate/gong. How much does a 3/8" thick x 12" diameter chunk of steel weigh?
Mike
Vocatus atque non vocatus, Deus aderit...
I've learned how to stand on my own two knees...
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

It might be good to get two of them, and that way you could hang the target on a rod or cord between two T-posts; otherwise your T-post won't last too long due to being hit with too many bullets.

Since we shoot pistols at 100 yards (and thus sometimes miss by a few feet [...or YARDS... :oops: ]), our T-posts regularly get chunks taken out of them and get pretty fragile.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

These are also useful, and a pack of 25 usually sells for about $3.00 or so...

http://www.ruralking.com/dare-yellow-t- ... tp-25.html

They sell different kinds that stick out farther or mount on other kinds of posts.

Two of these little short ones will hold a 12" gong with no problem, using a chunk of twine off a hay-bale on each side. You can get the twine to stay put on just the bare post, but it isn't as easy to adjust or level the gong.

I doubt the longer ones would support a heavy gong as well, since they'd tend to bend downward with the weight. I never tried just using one and hanging it in front of the T-post though, just because we already shoot holes in too many T-posts.
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

David
Levergunner 3.0

Post by David »

I built a K..a... range using networking aluminum rails which have the huge aluminum base feet and then I bolted that down on a plastic pallet. It's actually a great setup I just leave out it's weather resistant but it I had to I can even load it into the bed of my truck base first and the rails lay on the top of the gate (that's how I got it there).
I'm always looking to something to shoot like those steel plates, but wow I'm just a cheap a... $25 bucks for those. I have been thinking of creating something that would hold a clay but haven't quite figure that one out yet, without a lot off fabrication.
Time to dig the company junkyard again, they will pretty much give me anything there unless it's radioactive ;)
gcs
Levergunner 3.0

Post by gcs »

I think Doc has the answer, you can support a rod between two posts and then hang different size plates for more fun and games. :D
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

gcs wrote:I think Doc has the answer, you can support a rod between two posts and then hang different size plates for more fun and games. :D
I'm beginning to think so too. Plus, if you are out somewhere where the fence isn't yours, you won't risk hitting their T posts...
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

David wrote:I'm always looking to something to shoot like those steel plates, but wow I'm just a cheap a... $25 bucks for those.
Yeah, but if you get GOOD steel plates, they are [forgive the expression] 'bullet proof', and last a LONG time.

I bought myself a Bobcat Steel gong for Christmas, four years in a row...

https://bobcatsteel.com

Their 3/8" targets have taken hundreds upon hundreds of FMJ hits from 5.56 and 7.62 NATO ammo without a sign of fatigue; a friend accidentally blasted one with some SS109 and it made barely visible pok-marks, but they haven't caused any harm or appeared to increase vulnerability to 308 and 30-06 FMJ. My OTHER 'soft steel' or 'boilerplate scrap' targets can handle 44 Mag at 100 yards (but 444 Marlin punches holes right through them), but 223 or 308 just punches neat holes in them.

I spray them different colors so people know what targets are "ok with whatever you're shooting" vs. "restricted to pistol-calibers" vs. "rimfire only".

I just got the regular 'round' ones (4", 8", 12", & 16") and keep em all at 100 yards.

https://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=round-target

They used to have one cut out in the shape of a cat, and I almost got one just to annoy a couple of my friends....

....but they just added another one that looks appealing... :twisted:

https://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=no-hope-target

Edit: .....ahh....they DO still have the 'cat' one... 8)

https://bobcatsteel.com/?wpsc-product=no-hope-target

M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

If you'll put a short, (about an inch) stand-off at the top or your plate/gong, the bullets will be directed into the dirt at the bottom of your post. I like a post with a short T-bar welded to it and a sorta long loop on the back of the plate. Makes
em hang about right.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

One I'd be happy to shoot all day... and it is not the cat target!