My new used Dillon

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

My new used Dillon

Post by hondo1892 »

I bought a used Dillon 450 a few weeks back and set it up yesterday. My 45ACP cartridge conversion was used also. It loads much faster than my old trusty Lyman turret that's for sure. But I can't bell the mouth of the case with the powder funnel that came with the 45ACP kit. I have a new kit for .357/38 and the funnel will also bell the case mouth. My question is did I get the wrong powder funnel in the used 45ACP kit. I know Griff should be able to tell me since he loads 45ACP with his Dillon. I will order another funnel if I know it will bell the case mouths. Now if I can learn to use my right hand I should be able to really crank out some ammo. The way things are set up right now though I can't seat and crimp in two stages. Thanks for the help.
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My new used Dillon

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Possibly just an adjustment? A call to Dillon will solve your problem I am sure. If you don't get the Blue Press monthly go on line and sign up. It's free and the girls on the cover are great.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My 450 was upgraded to a 550 years ago. I've loaded tens of thousands of 45 ACP with it and belled every case. It's just an adjustment of the powder die. Call Dillon if you need to. They'll for sure take care of you.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Pictures are worth a 1,000 words. The right funnel? There should be only one for .45... I use the same one for both 45ACP and 45Colt. Your powder die body is not screwed in deep enough to have some resistance at the end of the powder dump stroke to bell the case slightly. This can also have a secondary effect on the consistent charging of cases. I adjust mine by leaving the lock nut and the powder hopper loose, so that I can incrementally screw the body down to the point where I'm belling cases.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

I must have the wrong funnel. There is nothing on the funnel to expand the case mouth. It is a short stubby thing compared to my .357/38 funnel. If I ran the case into my funnel too hard it would put a roll crimp on the case instead of a bell. I will order a 45 colt caliber conversion and that way I will have the right funnel and another caliber I can load on the press. Thanks guys.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hondo1892 wrote:I must have the wrong funnel. There is nothing on the funnel to expand the case mouth. It is a short stubby thing compared to my .357/38 funnel. If I ran the case into my funnel too hard it would put a roll crimp on the case instead of a bell. I will order a 45 colt caliber conversion and that way I will have the right funnel and another caliber I can load on the press. Thanks guys.
Yep, my 45 funnel looks just like the 38 one... except bigger!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

hondo1892 wrote:I bought a used Dillon 450 a few weeks back and set it up yesterday. My 45ACP cartridge conversion was used also. It loads much faster than my old trusty Lyman turret that's for sure. But I can't bell the mouth of the case with the powder funnel that came with the 45ACP kit. I have a new kit for .357/38 and the funnel will also bell the case mouth. My question is did I get the wrong powder funnel in the used 45ACP kit. I know Griff should be able to tell me since he loads 45ACP with his Dillon. I will order another funnel if I know it will bell the case mouths. Now if I can learn to use my right hand I should be able to really crank out some ammo. The way things are set up right now though I can't seat and crimp in two stages. Thanks for the help.
Is your 450 upgraded to the 550 style to accept the toolhead?

Steve
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Nope, its not set up for the tool heads. I may get the new frame someday but right no I'm going to keep it the way it is. I do really like it though. Much faster than my Lyman turret press.
Griff I thought it should look like my other funnel. Got a 45 colt conversion on the way now.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

Buy the conversion. It's well the worth the cost and makes changing calibers so much easier.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

hondo1892 wrote:Griff I thought it should look like my other funnel. Got a 45 colt conversion on the way now.
Here's a screenshot of a video of me loading some C45S cowboy loads. You can see the thru expander plug hanging below the powder die. There's a slight flare to it, just below the inside powder die.

On the 45 Colt setup, you see far less of the expander below the powder die.
M. M. Wright wrote:Buy the conversion. It's well the worth the cost and makes changing calibers so much easier.
Aye, that it does. Just having the powder die adjusted and locked for each case height easily makes ¾s of the work changing calibers go away.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!