Kentucky Deer Hunt Recommendations

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Kentucky Deer Hunt Recommendations

Post by Hawkins »

I'm looking to plan a deer hunt in western Kentucky for the early muzzleloader season (October 17th and 18th). It'll just be a side excursion on a longer trip, so I won't have time to scout on my own. Does anyone have recommendations for a reliable guide/outfitter? I'm more interested in a good chance at a decent buck, not necessarily waiting for a monster. And of course, I don't want to break the bank. Thanks very much!

Hawkins
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Kentucky Deer Hunt Recommendations

Post by Blaine »

The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

Hawkins, I live in central Kentucky. Just moved here last year and from what I hear leases are pretty pricey so you may not find a "cheap hunt". If you look on the Kentucky Fish and Game site you can look up where the big bucks are taken. Also it will tell you how many bucks and does came from each county during a season. I know that they have some big bucks on the west end. I've seen one really nice one on my place in ten years of hunting. But have decent young ones every year. You might want to look up Kentucky hunting forums also. You might find some help there on where to find a good outfitter. The early season is a stuff shoot for deer. If it turns hot and it does a lot of years in the early season the deer stop moving. Good luck.
Hawkins
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hawkins »

Hondo,

Thank you for the suggestions and info. I've found a few places that aren't too expensive for two days in the early muzzleloader season, so I'll start calling around. Everything I've read agrees with you, that later in the year is better, but mid-October is when I'll be up there.

Hawkins
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Post by hondo1892 »

My daughter took a nine point on our place with a crossbow the first weekend in October last year. It was the only buck we have taken that early in the season. The temps were dropping down in the evening so we had more action than usual. Good luck with your hunt.