Ram Big Horn eco diesel-powered

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Ram Big Horn eco diesel-powered

Post by Blaine »

29 mpg on test drive back/forth on the 101....tows 9500....3/4 ton load.....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: Ram Big Horn eco diesel-powered

Post by Blaine »

And, yes....no more Honda or van.....travel trailer next year & I have 4x4 again.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Does it have the extra tank for urea? Extra few dollars to fill it will eat into that 29mpg by some factor... And you can't convince me that it really does what it claims to for the environment. CA was all fired up about using methanol for city buses... and while the NOx numbers were down, what they didn't tell the public was that sulphur emissions were up by a factor 400! It was two years into the project test before they thought to test for "other" emissions... Then buried the info... I don't trust the CA Air Resources Board... they outright lie about nominal conditions, rig tests to provide the results they want... all to shield themselves from being revealed as useless. And the Fed EPA is so clueless as to think they (CARB), are the "experts".
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:Does it have the extra tank for urea? Extra few dollars to fill it will eat into that 29mpg by some factor... And you can't convince me that it really does what it claims to for the environment. CA was all fired up about using methanol for city buses... and while the NOx numbers were down, what they didn't tell the public was that sulphur emissions were up by a factor 400! It was two years into the project test before they thought to test for "other" emissions... Then buried the info... I don't trust the CA Air Resources Board... they outright lie about nominal conditions, rig tests to provide the results they want... all to shield themselves from being revealed as useless. And the Fed EPA is so clueless as to think they (CARB), are the "experts".
:D I'm glad you like It.
Def tank separate. ...8 gal.....it's at the fuel cap under the door. ....I personally saw the 29 mpg.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Manly vehicle you got there, Blaine, congratulations. The right tool for the job pulling that trailer.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

jnyork wrote:Manly vehicle you got there, Blaine, congratulations. The right tool for the job pulling that trailer.
There's a long, pissy story how I got from a nice, paid for Wrangler, to a Lemon Civic, to an Accord, to this one....I can afford to drive this one on a daily basis or to Ohio, yet it has the ballz to tow enough for what I want....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Does this truck have a 3.0 V-6 turbo diesel or the 5.7 Cummins turbo diesel?

You keeping your Nissan van too?
Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Friends Call Me Ji wrote:Does this truck have a 3.0 V-6 turbo diesel or the 5.7 Cummins turbo diesel?

You keeping your Nissan van too?
3.0 V-6....No van, no honda....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

I LOVE diesels growing up with my dad's old 1960 MB 190D, and later his VW Rabbit diesels, as well as his Sea Bright Skiff powered by a single cylinder 5hp. Yanmar diesel lugger winding out at 800 RPMs cruising Kaneohe Bay in my youth. I also owned a VW Rabbit pickup diesel that got 50 MPG, it was 1.6 liters and gutless but I didn't care, it got 50 MPGs! My current truck 2003 Nissan Frontier 4x4 with 3.3 liter petrol V-6 and 5 speed manual trans gets 21 MPGs if I use cruise control staying within the speed limit. Your 29 MPGs in any truck let alone a full-size truck is amazing. I LOVE the smell of diesel exhaust, and the clatter from the diesel valve-train but I guess the new diesels don't do dat anymore. Congrats on a great purchase Blaine, may you be blessed with many happy miles ahead.
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

My Ram diesel is an '01 Cummins with 300,000+ miles on it. Pulls anything I hook it to but only gets 19 mpg empty or 11 pulling a 28 foot travel trailer.
Diesel here is cheaper than gas again. $2.25 for diesel, $2.45 for gas. But with the price of crude at $41 something it should come down some more.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I've only seen a couple over here but "boy do they look mean" makes my little jumbuck look like a toy... :mrgreen:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

My '05 Chevy has the 6.6 Diesel w/5spd auto, and in the big crewcab dually with 4x4 I have to exercise very careful foot control to keep it at 16+mpg on the highway. Forget the speed limits, I'm stuck at 65, or less in the hills). But for grunt power, that torque and 3.73 ratio means it'll pull. In fact, my wife had to pull my son's Kenworth out of a muddy patch he'd parked in near the driveway. He hadn't dug himself into a hole, but...

A friend of mine showed up at the range a month or so back with a new Dodge Ram... In over 20 years, I've never seen him in anything but a GM... he said that quite possibly this was the best truck he'd ever owned.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

I'm seeing different figures on the capacity and towing....At the very least, a heavy half, and 7500 lbs....At best the 3/4 ton, and 9000 lbs.....
Last edited by Blaine on Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:My '05 Chevy has the 6.6 Diesel w/5spd auto, and in the big crewcab dually with 4x4 I have to exercise very careful foot control to keep it at 16+mpg on the highway. Forget the speed limits, I'm stuck at 65, or less in the hills). But for grunt power, that torque and 3.73 ratio means it'll pull. In fact, my wife had to pull my son's Kenworth out of a muddy patch he'd parked in near the driveway. He hadn't dug himself into a hole, but...

A friend of mine showed up at the range a month or so back with a new Dodge Ram... In over 20 years, I've never seen him in anything but a GM... he said that quite possibly this was the best truck he'd ever owned.
My (hopefully decent) logic on this one is that it will get enough mpgs to get rid of the Honda, and enough grunt to tow/carry anything I might need to do (which won't be much), and I have a 4x4 again...The payment will be about 75 a month less than the other two combined, and insurance a little less than half.... Of course, this is akin to a dude telling his wife they NEED a bass boat because just look at all the money they'll save catching all that fish for dinner :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

I like that a lot Blaine. And for the first time in a few years, at least around here, diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline again.
NRA Life Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

TedH wrote:I like that a lot Blaine. And for the first time in a few years, at least around here, diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline again.
Which won't last the election cycle. And as the refinery's move over to production of home heating oil, the supply of #2 diesel for road use will fall off and prices will rise. Gasoline will fall after Labor Day, and the summer driving season is officially over... happens every year, with regular predictability...
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
TedH wrote:I like that a lot Blaine. And for the first time in a few years, at least around here, diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline again.
Which won't last the election cycle. And as the refinery's move over to production of home heating oil, the supply of #2 diesel for road use will fall off and prices will rise. Gasoline will fall after Labor Day, and the summer driving season is officially over... happens every year, with regular predictability...
You've been a fount of good diesel news... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that would look great with a home-made camper shell on the back. all the utility of the van that way, and keeps your powder dry. plus a relief funnel in the corner, what's not to like?

http://butlerprojects.com/other/truckcamper/index.htm

I really like the gunner's hatch . . . :D
Blaine
Posting leader...

u

Post by Blaine »

Grizz wrote:that would look great with a home-made camper shell on the back. all the utility of the van that way, and keeps your powder dry. plus a relief funnel in the corner, what's not to like?

Only problem is with the quad cab, you get the dinky short bed....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

tru dat but

still can get good storage and probably a good bunk for rest stops until you get the trailer sorted. nice to consolidate stuff, eh?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

BlaineG wrote:You've been a fount of good diesel news... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just tellin' it like I see it! But... hey, I drive a diesel p/u don't I? And a big truck... sitting here in Albuquerque, idling, with the A/C on... burnin' money at just under 10 gpd!

And, trust me... the convenience of the back seat beats the long bed every day, all week long! I wish my 1-ton had the short bed!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:
BlaineG wrote:You've been a fount of good diesel news... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just tellin' it like I see it! But... hey, I drive a diesel p/u don't I? And a big truck... sitting here in Albuquerque, idling, with the A/C on... burnin' money at just under 10 gpd!

And, trust me... the convenience of the back seat beats the long bed every day, all week long! I wish my 1-ton had the short bed!
I swore off pick ups until they came out with a small diesel, light duty with ample mpgs....That engine has been around for about 12 years on Jeeps, and is reported to be bulletproof.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
EdinCT
Levergunner 3.0

Post by EdinCT »

Nice Truck, I am just a little jealous! I have a 2002 Dodge quad cab with 183000 miles. It has the 4.7 gas and owes me nothing!! I will not buy another gas though because like you I want more MPG.
Hope you enjoy it has much has I have this one.
Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

Nice looking truck.

What is a urea/def tank? Something the truck comes with to pee into? :?:

Cat
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Catshooter wrote:Nice looking truck.

What is a urea/def tank? Something the truck comes with to pee into? :?:

Cat
Diesel Exhaust Fluid Something some genius at the EPA wants on diesels to "clean" them up....Particulates, I think.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I know its an apples to oranges comparison , powerplant wise, but i just aquired another Ford eco-boost powered pickup for work and play

I applaud the use of smaller engines with turbos, etc. to bring the torque/hp up to V8 levels and beyond and still retain some measure of economy (for 5500 lb trucks that is)

--- I hauled a vintage Chevy half ton on a 2000 lb car hauler to a friends recently (who lived 200 miles away) - with no sweat and it knocked down 23 mpg on a recent trip to Colorado

--- fun stuff - in theory, might save me a few more nickels to ride the high country more often :) - have fun with your new ride Blaine - those small diesels sound like winners too

----- Doug
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

I like it a lot blaine.

I was looking at those a while back thinking about a new pickup. I really like the compromise on the engine. Great MPG and still enough balls to tow something. I am still driving my 06 Tacoma and decided to keep it. Instead of a new pickup for me I am saving up for a 18-20' northriver/hews craft or the like fishing vessel. Good for the Columbia or Ocean on nice days. Still a year or two out, but its getting close.

When ever it does happen I'll have plenty of open seat time. I'll get a hold of ya and get you on some fish.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Udy wrote:I like it a lot blaine.

I was looking at those a while back thinking about a new pickup. I really like the compromise on the engine. Great MPG and still enough balls to tow something. I am still driving my 06 Tacoma and decided to keep it. Instead of a new pickup for me I am saving up for a 18-20' northriver/hews craft or the like fishing vessel. Good for the Columbia or Ocean on nice days. Still a year or two out, but its getting close.

When ever it does happen I'll have plenty of open seat time. I'll get a hold of ya and get you on some fish.
I haven't rowed for a couple years, but heck come on up, actually ,meet at the 12 east exit.....what's the worst that could happen? If it's running over 6500 or so, I won't do it....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

Where you going to drive to this winter. I want to ring the bell in Key West this December or January. Its about time we get a smaller decent diesel powered vehicle. Europe, India and Africa have so many of them and we cant get them here..
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

An 8 gal tank of DEF is supposed to last about 7500 miles, to sort of match up with oil changes.
So, roughly 900 miles per 3$ gallon of DEF....I can live with that. Most of the truck stops have it at the pumps, bulk, for a little less than that.

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

wish I could see some drawings of that engine. that is fewer cubes than my van, it surprises me that it can have enough bottom end to tow that weight. by bottom end I mean main and crank journals and bearings. and con-rod cross section. and wrist-pin diameter.

but I'm a detroit X-71 kind of guy. I understand that technology, and got unbelieveable time on 'em. at one nautical mile per gallon. :)
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Grizz wrote:wish I could see some drawings of that engine. that is fewer cubes than my van, it surprises me that it can have enough bottom end to tow that weight. by bottom end I mean main and crank journals and bearings. and con-rod cross section. and wrist-pin diameter.

but I'm a detroit X-71 kind of guy. I understand that technology, and got unbelieveable time on 'em. at one nautical mile per gallon. :)
About the same per gallon for both fuel & oil, no? Always knew when something was wrong with those -71 & -92 series Detroit 2 strokes, they didn't have a puddle of oil under 'em! Saw a late '60s Peterbilt a couple years ago that had a 12-71 in it! Not factory, but very nice install, looked stock, 3-stick gearbox and a mile-long hood!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:AHA! This 'splains A LOT: Fiat-Chrysler 3.0L Diesel V6 Was Originally A GM Engine.
Well, an Italian engine. GM couldn't get it right. Fiat/Chrysler certainly has.

They were going to put them in a Cadillac. They been using them in those Grand Cherokees for about 11 years....seemingly bulletproof.....Now, if the Dodge around it don't fall apart :lol: :lol:

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Re: u

Post by K1500 »

BlaineG wrote:
Grizz wrote:that would look great with a home-made camper shell on the back. all the utility of the van that way, and keeps your powder dry. plus a relief funnel in the corner, what's not to like?

MPG and towing on the ecodiesel are really good but the payload figures are absolutely pathetic, especially for the quad cab. The way 90% or guys will use a 1/2 ton it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't plan on *carrying* much of a load, either in the bed or on the tongue of the hitch.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: u

Post by Blaine »

K1500 wrote:
BlaineG wrote:

MPG and towing on the ecodiesel are really good but the payload figures are absolutely pathetic, especially for the quad cab. The way 90% or guys will use a 1/2 ton it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't plan on *carrying* much of a load, either in the bed or on the tongue of the hitch.
I won't fault your personal opinion, but it's a heavy half. 1400 lbs payload. I don't see what's wrong with that. :?

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I hope it didn't come off like that.

I looked at a quad cab Laramie 4x4 with ecodiesel. It lists payload at 1,076 lbs. That's with no accessories and a 150 pound driver. Put 4 230 pound guys in the truck and you have a whopping 306 pounds or cargo carrying capacity, not including bedliners, caps, brush guards, steps, etc. Throw a few coolers, tents, etc. in the bed and you are done. Admittedly I was looking at one of the worst/lowest payload configurations, and I tend to always have some weight in the truck, including about 350 pounds of camper shell and gear 100% of the time. I just couldn't buy a truck that was essentially at max capacity if I was hauling me and three buddies to the range. I do tow with the family quite a bit and that makes a difference.

Like I said, not a big deal for most users, but it makes a difference if you plan on carrying heavy loads or towing things with a high tongue weight. Absent that they look like a very nice rig and should be a long-lived, good MPG drivetrain.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

K1500 wrote:I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I hope it didn't come off like that.

I looked at a quad cab Laramie 4x4 with ecodiesel. It lists payload at 1,076 lbs. That's with no accessories and a 150 pound driver. Put 4 230 pound guys in the truck and you have a whopping 306 pounds or cargo carrying capacity, not including bedliners, caps, brush guards, steps, etc. Throw a few coolers, tents, etc. in the bed and you are done. Admittedly I was looking at one of the worst/lowest payload configurations, and I tend to always have some weight in the truck, including about 350 pounds of camper shell and gear 100% of the time. I just couldn't buy a truck that was essentially at max capacity if I was hauling me and three buddies to the range. I do tow with the family quite a bit and that makes a difference.

Like I said, not a big deal for most users, but it makes a difference if you plan on carrying heavy loads or towing things with a high tongue weight. Absent that they look like a very nice rig and should be a long-lived, good MPG drivetrain.
The specs on the Big Horn are different. They are on the Laramie, too..... You're off quite a bit.

Dial up the right truck, on the Official Ram Page ;) , and see.....
1398, and 7800
http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
K1500
Levergunner 2.0

Post by K1500 »

That page shows 1,398/7,800 for the Bighorn and 1,076/8,050 for the Laramie. I was looking at the Laramie. Enjoy the truck. I'm just glad they finally brought a smaller diesel to the US.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

K1500 wrote:That page shows 1,398/7,800 for the Bighorn and 1,076/8,050 for the Laramie. I was looking at the Laramie. Enjoy the truck. I'm just glad they finally brought a smaller diesel to the US.
I goofed up several times trying to use different sites for figgering out that stuff.....
The HiTop Nissan Van I traded in had actually had a higher payload, but it averaged 17mpg....If I had not seen close to 30 mpg on my test drive, I would not be considering this new dynamic. 13 better than the Nissan, and about 4 less, average, than the Accord. It will do.... I'm saving a bunch over two separate payments, and only one insurance bill.....They only downside will be if it's not reliable, in which case it's gone for an F150 with the 2.7 Twin Turbo.....

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Marvin S
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Marvin S »

Like that Dodge :D
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

You traded the Jeep also?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Griff wrote:You traded the Jeep also?
The Jeep was already gone....part of that long, pissy story I mentioned. ...If I still had the jeeo I'd tow a teardrop & be happy

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
DAV
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

About the same per gallon for both fuel & oil, no? Always knew when something was wrong with those -71 & -92 series Detroit 2 strokes, they didn't have a puddle of oil under 'em! Saw a late '60s Peterbilt a couple years ago that had a 12-71 in it! Not factory, but very nice install, looked stock, 3-stick gearbox and a mile-long hood!
12-71 in a truck would be a hoot. tons of bottom on that thing. the truck engines typically run a lot harder than boat engines. I had the smallest injectors in mine and ran it around 1550 most of the time and topped around 1820 turns. no turbocharger or aftercooler. and it didn't leak oil. put 7 gallons in and two filters at oil change. cost of doing business, just like trucks.

I put two hospital grade mufflers on it and you couldn't hear the boat coming at trolling speed. at the dock you could lean over the boat and hear a strong woooosh, but no engine exhaust noise. You could have a conversation on the back deck without shouting. very relaxing and civilized for a screaming jimmy. I miss the dead nuts reliablilty. the no-computer hookup. giver it the fuel and air up the starter, it goes and goes. in ten or more years the only glitch was an injector tube came adrift and had to have the local guy in sitka swage in the new one. took the head off anchored up in front of the shop and ran it over in the skiff. a few hours and we were heading back to the fishing grounds. life of riley, eh?
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

When I lived on Maui a buddy of mine owned an old wooden hull navy launch which he turned into a fishing boat. It was powered by a 2-stroke Detroit 3-71 3 cylinder diesel. Over the years he acquired a few extra 3-71 engines and parts. He owned his own auto repair shop and when his old Ford F-150 shop trucks straight 6 petrol engine needed replacing he decided to install one of his 3-71 engines into his F-150. If I recall correctly he mated the engine to the 3 speed Ford tranny, and had to install heavy duty springs to handle the extra weight of the 3-71 as well as install an overdrive so the low revving diesel could get up to highway speeds. I'm surprised that 3 speed tranny survived all that torque. This truck was a torque monster able to tow his heavy boat from the harbor to his home 10 mile up a slope when it was drydock time. The execution of the installation was clean and almost factory looking, he did an excellent job, and that truck was reliable. I used to love hearing that 2 stroke diesel wining going up the hill as I passed him on the highway. In hindsight I wish I took a picture of that engine under the hood of the F-150.
Udy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Udy »

BlaineG wrote:

I haven't rowed for a couple years, but heck come on up, actually ,meet at the 12 east exit.....what's the worst that could happen? If it's running over 6500 or so, I won't do it.
I am game. I don't know what those numbers refer to or the 12 east, but let me know I can make it work one of these weekends.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Here ya are Blaine:
(click on pic to see video)
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!