OT - Humvee stuck - insult to injury!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

OT - Humvee stuck - insult to injury!

Post by Ysabel Kid »

From military.com:

Humvee in Deep...Stuff
Getting your vehicle bogged down on a combat patrol is bad. Getting it bogged down in an open sewer trench is insult to injury.

http://shock.military.com/Shock/videos. ... =army-a.nl
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Hope he didnt do that in the summer time when water was being restricted! Those UPARMOR Hummv's are very heavy and will get stuck very easily. I am sure he will be hearing about it from those in his unit for a long time.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

:roll:A Memorable event to be mentioned at Unit Reunions years down the road! :lol: Like "What did grandad do during the war". :lol:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
morgan in nm
Levergunner 3.0

Post by morgan in nm »

I have seen that happen before when I had a new TC think that if a tank can make it surely a humvee can. Wish I would have had a camera that time. :lol:
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Oh man! Get out the pressure washer.----stinky-----------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

There's a joke about a certain type of "detail" here but it'd be too easy... :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Cliff
Levergunner 3.0

Getting Stuck and stuff

Post by Cliff »

This is a bit different. Back in the early 1960's while stationed in West Germany it was common at certain times of the year for some farmer to pull his honey wagon out in front of a military convoy. This I believe was sometimes intentional. A lot of the farmers had old wooden tank honey wagons loaded with liquid manue for their fields. It was common to "T" bone these dang things and get covered in some of the stinkiest and foulest manure. This was bad, seemed no matter how one tried to wash the vehicle, the smell would always come back in warm weather even a new paint job would not help. Of course the farmer would get a brand new metal honey wagon from Uncle Sam so they never really seemed upset at losing the old ones. Just a bit different. I know an M-113 could smell for a long time. ATB
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

4 wheel drive

Post by brucew44guns »

A lot of people think that 4 wheel drive will go anywhere---no problem. That can be the case many times, but not everytime. That vehicle was in bad shape off down in that trench, and I bet that slime was awful slick, imagine the stench in that street after all that stirring up.
Last edited by brucew44guns on Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Re: 4 wheel drive

Post by Sixgun »

brucew44guns wrote:A lot of people think that 4 wheel drive will anywhere---no problem. That can be the case many times, but not everytime. That vehicle was in bad shape off down in that trench, and I bet that slime was awful slick, imagine the stench in that street after all that stirring up.
Bruce, you hit it on the head with "a lot of people think that a 4 wheel drive will go anywhere". We get these yuppies around here with their brand new $40,000 Land Rovers smashed up in a ditch during a snow storm because they think they have something invincible. :D ----Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

I drove a hummer for 6 years in the service,(when I was not on a "hike") they will get stuck. Mostly high centered. The motor is a pooch and the gearing is to high.
They should have just refitted the Power Wagons!! :P
Sitting here watching the video I can almost smell the stuff on that vehicle, or may be its me? :oops:
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

One of my Marines in my TOW section in Gitmo flipped one onto its roof taking a hard turn too fast on a coral road one morning. OUCH!

As pointed out above, they are by no means indestructible.

scott
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Uh Oh!!
ED
Yer never too old
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

When that happens, the men learn a lesson about "chain of command". The poor soldier who can't give orders to anybody ends up with the duty.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

WCF3030 wrote:I drove a hummer for 6 years in the service,(when I was not on a "hike") they will get stuck. Mostly high centered. The motor is a pooch and the gearing is to high.
They should have just refitted the Power Wagons!! :P
Sitting here watching the video I can almost smell the stuff on that vehicle, or may be its me? :oops:
On the new trucks they have a better motor and trany. But with all that armor they weigh more then the proverbial Sh&* ton. The only good thing is that the doors are sealed fairly well most of the stuff should of stayed on the outside.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

What was the old Bill Cosby line? First you say it then you do it?
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

I've been driving 4X4's of several vintages for 35 years. The first things I learned were the difference between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive is with a 4X4 you get stuck deeper, further. And second, when the going looks like it's getting worse, you BACK UP out of trouble.