Winchester '94 Trapper??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Winchester '94 Trapper??

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've been interested in finding a "Trapper" length .44 magnum. I'd really like to turn one up that has the old style receiver (not an angle-eject). I have a .30-30 in that configuration and love it. Can anyone tell me if Winchester ever made such an animal; or, did they not produce any .44 magnum Trappers before the angle-eject models came out? I've seen a bunch with that awful cross-bolt safety and the AE feature; I just can't bring myself to buy one of those.

I'd be interested in a model '92 I suppose. I'd just need to make sure that it could feed the 250 grain Keith slugs that I tend to prefer loading. Did Davidson's or anybody make a run of those? I know that I've seen them in .45 Colt.

Any input would be appreciated.

Hank
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

IIRC, Winchester started chambering the .44 mag in the late 60's, but I don't recall if it came as a Trapper or not, back then.

The AE's didn't start until '82, I think it was.

It'll be a long search, but I suppose one could be found some day, and Trapperized. :wink: :mrgreen:
BadAndy
Levergunner

Post by BadAndy »

Hank, I bought one of the early Winchester '94 .44 mags around 1967 or so. It had a standard 20" barrel. :oops: With a peep sight it was an accurate shooter. Hope this helps. BadAndy
Shoot straight, ammo is expensive
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hank,

I have read that Winchester did produce the Trappers in the late 70's early 80s in .44 Mag in the Top Eject configuration. They were a companion to the 30-30 Trappers we both have.
But ~ I have never seen one.

I'd love to find a late 70s / early 80's Top Eject Mdl 94 .44 Mag regardless of barrel length.

As to the feeding of full length Keith bullets, the Rossi 92 copy I had needed to be custom modified internally for them. Once that was done it would feed anything that didn't exceed that length.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Hank Dodge
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Hank Dodge »

I've got one of the early '80s .44 mags with the 20" barrel and the angle-eject (pre-safety). It's an accurate rifle with the Keith bullets and has served me just fine. I really just want a Trapper for the added handiness of the shorter barrel. I like the looks of the top-eject receivers so much better. I'd never plan on mounting a scope on it; I like open sights on my levers.

Jim....What modifications did you need to make on that '92 to allow it to feed the Keith bullets?
"Shoot them big guns......you can see the holes better!"
Jeff Quinn
Shootist

Post by Jeff Quinn »

The only 16 inch Model 94 Winchester .44s that I have seen have all been angle eject, most with, but a few without the crossbolt safety. The ones without the crossbolt safety also have thinner barrels, like mine shown here:
They are handy little carbines, and mine will even feed long 320 grain LBT bullets loaded into .44 magnum cases.
It was redone by Dan Printz. Details and more pictures here:
http://www.gunblast.com/FiringPin.htm

I ain't saying that no 16 inch .44s were built before the angle eject, just that I haven't seen any.
Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com