1940's Deer Hunting Pictures.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

1940's Deer Hunting Pictures.

Post by cshold »

The greatest generation. 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Re: 1940's Deer Hunting Pictures.

Post by Stan in SC »

And one pretty good sized looking bear.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Looks like three Winchesters in the third picture.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Very nice!
I remember in Wis. your deer tag was good for a bear also

ollogger
OldWin
Advanced Levergunner

Post by OldWin »

I'd say the first pic is from the late 60's because of the snowmobile.

They are also pretty optimistic as the amount of snow they have.......but it beat dragging them by hand I guess. :D
"Oh bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round.
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Yep, that sled is around a 65 I think, not really up on my sleds though.
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

walks with gun wrote:Yep, that sled is around a 65 I think, not really up on my sleds though.
I was wondering about '40s snow machines..... :?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

I was raised in Wisconsin. I probably started deer hunting in 1953 at 12. The last time I hunted there was about 1963 as I moved west. I see some laws have changed. I dont recall anyone hunting with a snowmobile back then but recall my uncle having the best made at the time and he also lived to hunt. In 1963 I worked for the conservation department and we had a early one I recall using on some detail. In those days we would get a six month appointment as if you worked a day over six months the department had to hire as permanents. I did six months the summer of 1963 with the fishery's end of it. At the end of my six months they laid me off and I was to rehire back in a few weeks and work with the wardens for the deer season etc. I should have returned but didn't as I had chanced in to another job right after as a foreman trainee traveling all over the country treating old utility poles and the traveling part appealed to me. I have often regretted not staying home and retiring with the department but that's life. What looks like a minor decision at the time will change the course of your life. I recall getting a whopping $350`s per month in those days.
For a long time now tree stands are popular. Funny, they were still highly illegal yet back in the early 60`s. I see earlier on this thread I wrote of another hunter emptying his rifle at me. If he was a better shot that would have altered my life major too. Still, had I known what I know now, I believe I would have stayed and tried for a flying warden job. I knew one back then and now I fly and it costs me big. I would have got paid for it there. Oh well.
Deer hunting with my dad and uncles was the biggest thing I liked back in those days. I wa about 14 in this picture.
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Casa: Sort of makes a feller want to put on his wool plaid and grab the Model 8, doesn't it?

8)
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Bill in Oregon wrote:Casa: Sort of makes a feller want to put on his wool plaid and grab the Model 8, doesn't it?

8)
Yep! it sure do :wink:
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Funny how laws change. Makes you wonder if the old ones were necessary. We all had orange, red, maybe red and black plaid coats and even pants back then, couldnt climb a tree as the thinking probably was to give a deer a more fair chance. Now high comfortable deer stands and complete camouflage is in.
When I grew up there being a warden wasn't widely considered romantic as now. In fact they weren't trusted and were to be avoided. Dad had a close friend that he knew prior to becoming a warden. I remember him telling him he got his job because he was the biggest poacher in the county and since the department could never catch him they gave him the job to keep him from poaching. I dont know how much of that was a joke or true. He became a good well known one.
While I was permitted to make arrests back then I never did as that wasn't my job but a few of the guys I worked with did when they seen a bad violation under their nose. I remember one amusing incident.
I worked with the state biologist that did research. On opening day I was assigned to several lakes to check what they were catching for research information for the biologist. I was walking along the shore with a clipboard under my arm and wasn't packing any tackle. I spotted what had to be a grandpa, son and grandson walking towards the lake about a 100 yards ahead of me. All was loaded down with rods and tackle. Back then a kid didn't need a fishing license until he was 12 If I recall. They spotted me and froze like a deer in the headlights. One hollered at me, "We aint fishing! The boy is fishing!"
I did get caught once though where I had to be part of a arrest. In 1960 I was a seasonal worker on a similar 6 month appointment in Yosemite National Park. I was riding passenger with my "better". There used to be a beggar coyote that had his favorite spot at a turn out. We came around a curve and I couldnt believe what I was seeing. A older woman was tossing some treat to the coyote. Another car loaded with a typical family had pulled up, the man had a shotgun injun`ing around the car to throw down on the coyote. The boss was driving our government marked truck and skidded to a stop right next to him and between the coyote and lady. Alright fella, give me the gun! Aint nobody gonna take my gun! With that my boss grabbed the shotgun and the guy wasn't let go of it! I was on the passenger seat and it took a few seconds to get out and around the vehicle and piled on. We arrested him but I felt kind of bad about it having to do it in front of his wife and kids.
Its only been a couple years ago when the law was changed letting you legally carry a gun in a national park. Still aren't to use them though.
You hear a lot about losing our gun rights for a lot of years now. Mostly from outfits trying to get endless donations to fight for our rights. I am 74 years old. I am here to tell you that as far as CC permits go, it was far worse when I was a kid in Wisconsin. You would only dare pack a handgun out of town. In town, I suspect you would have been jailed on sight with the first cop. Here in Utah its legal but very, very seldom do you ever see it in town.
I do agree, the present administration wants our guns but I am also old enough to tell you we DO have better gun rights today than we had when I was growing up. It seems the younger people that are pro guns believe that it is a new thing trying to get our guns. Personally, I dont fall for everyone begging me for donations to fight. I dont even see what money should have to do with it. How is money going to change some legislators mind to vote? If it does they should be ousted day one. I think for myself.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

One more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.