Winchester 94's

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Re: Winchester 94's

Post by Canuck Bob »

I have a 92 Deluxe Takedown Winoku 92. I am pleased with the gun and it is the nicest firearm I own. At first I didn't like the safety but in the end it is no issue. If one can afford it they are a fine rifle.
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

I was going to say something along those lines only worded different, Thanks Griff.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Lastmohecken
Senior Levergunner

Post by Lastmohecken »

All I know is I went down the road of buying the 95's and 86's with the rebounding hammer and top tang safety, and I have owned model 94 angle ejects with and without safeties, and they are all gone now. I have been fortunate enough to replace them with Pre-64's and Brownings, and I will buy no more of the redesigned Japchesters, especially model 94's, because there are just too many originals available for about the same money to put up with the modern foolishness of the lawyered up current crop.
NRA Life Member, Patron
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

tman wrote:
Griff wrote:
Old Time Hunter wrote:Makes one wonder what changes have affected all those that have left :(
Some folks need others to genuflect more than most here are willing. Others don't feel they have any more to learn... and others have taught themselves out.
Profound statement! +1
Yep. Others are in jail.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
bonusmarple
Levergunner

Post by bonusmarple »

Some don't like the Mirokus some like them. Thank God for the free market so we can buy what we want.

I do want a nice pre-64 for a collector piece.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Griff wrote:
Old Time Hunter wrote:Makes one wonder what changes have affected all those that have left :(
Some folks need others to genuflect more than most here are willing. Others don't feel they have any more to learn... and others have taught themselves out.
Yep...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

Explain to me just what a rebounding hammer is and why is it widely disliked? I dont like the visible safety either. I own a half dozen older Winchester levers without them. Glad I do. I would like a 92 in .256 Win mag. I have seen one done up that way.
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

The rebounding hammers set at half cock when at rest. The mainspring strut pushes the hammer forward, and it pushes it backwards, if that makes sense. When cocked and fired, the hammer momentum overides the tension from half cock and allows it to fire, then it snaps it back to halfcock. Part of the problem is the trigger pull is often crummy, and with the mainspring holding the hammer back on its forward half of it travewl, they sometimes have problems with ignition reliability.

It makes sense safety wise, as it automatically goes to safe when fired, but they are not really tuned well from the factory in most cases. They can be tuned a bit for a better pull and less tension on the forward part of the travel, but I dont know if its always successful. Many simply change out the parts for regular half cock parts, though they are getting harder to find.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

This system places more tension on the hammer against the bolt as the action opens.
Requires more effort to cycle the action, as a part of that heavier trigger pull.
Denis
Booger Bill
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Booger Bill »

So the company did it for safety`s sake for novice`s at the price of a worse trigger and reliability?
DPris
Levergunner 3.0

Post by DPris »

Essentially, yes.
Denis