Anybody Collect Paper Shotgun Shell?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Anybody Collect Paper Shotgun Shell?

Post by SteveR »

I found some recently and they are I think from the late 20's through the 40's, maybe 50's?

I have Peters, Rem-UMC, Western, and a couple oddball ones.
They are interesting, with the information on the top of the shell.

I would love more information.

Steve
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Anybody Collect Paper Shotgun Shell?

Post by Griff »

Even up to the '80s Federal made 'em. I used to use 'em for cowboy shootin' all the time... Reloaded easily, lasted a good long time with the light 1oz and charges... till the paper near the base burned thru! It seemed as tho' the crimp area never went bad. Even loaded with BP they were great!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

Seems odd to me that some thing I shot as a kid is now collectors items ???
I have saved some odds & ends paper shells, some of the old boxes had neat art work on them
I do have a full box of C-I-L Maxum in paper shells, but im not really a collector more like a pac rat

ollogger
375hh1973
Levergunner 1.0

Post by 375hh1973 »

Federal still makes several versions of their Gold Medal target load with paper hulls. I buy a flat now and then when I want to hunt birds with my Beretta sxs 12 ga. Just something about a double and paper shells.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

ollogger wrote:Seems odd to me that some thing I shot as a kid is now collectors items ???
I have saved some odds & ends paper shells, some of the old boxes had neat art work on them
I do have a full box of C-I-L Maxum in paper shells, but im not really a collector more like a pac rat

ollogger
I was thinking the ones from the 20's would be collectible. I don't know much about paper hulls. I don't think you are old enough to be collectable, yet :twisted: .

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Thanks Griff and 375hh1973,
The only time I shot any paper shell, was in 1983, we came in for breakfast one morning during deer season. We left the rifles out in the trucks and cars, no sense in fogging up the outside of the lenses and have to reclean them.
Anyway, as we are sitting having breakfast, out comes a 5 point whitetail, and runs into our yard. Well I look around and there are no rifles in the house to shoot at this deer, but I see my 870 hanging on my bedroom wall, so I grab a couple of slugs, get 2 in and out the door I go. About 40 yards away I shoot at this deer, all he does is spin around, and takes off, no chance for a second shot. I am puzzled why he didnt drop, then I see that I shot him with an old paper hull slug. I remember that paper slug in with other odds and ends that I had found, my little brother must have seen it, and put it with the other slugs in a small box I kept them in.
Well we all take off, we do a short drive, and sure enough out he comes, I then shot him with my .270. When skinning him out, we found a huge bruise on his ribs, behind the shoulder, and could see the mark the slug left in the bruise. I remember it wasn't a very loud report when I shot that paper shell slug, after that I kind of looked at old paper shells as collector items.
Steve
ollogger
Advanced Levergunner

Post by ollogger »

SteveR wrote:
ollogger wrote:Seems odd to me that some thing I shot as a kid is now collectors items ???

ollogger
I was thinking the ones from the 20's would be collectible. I don't know much about paper hulls. I don't think you are old enough to be collectable, yet :twisted: .

Steve
SteveR heck I was born in 55 & look what a 55 chevy is worth :lol:

ollogger
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Griff wrote:Even up to the '80s Federal made 'em. I used to use 'em for cowboy shootin' all the time... Reloaded easily, lasted a good long time with the light 1oz and charges... till the paper near the base burned thru! It seemed as tho' the crimp area never went bad. Even loaded with BP they were great!
Federal still make's them.

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

I collect them.

Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

"Seems odd to me that some thing I shot as a kid is now collectors items ???"

Bought a window shade @ Menard's today. 20 year old at cash register did not know what the round, crochet shade pull was.
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

Funny how fast time passes, I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. LOL But if you look at it this way, say I'm 50 now, and when I was a kid, we still had shell and bullets from my Grandparents, so they could now be 80-100 years old.

Steve
SteveR
Senior Levergunner

Post by SteveR »

casastahle wrote:I collect them.

I have a few of each of those types you pictured, no boxes. I have around 24 of Sears and Roebuck 7 1/2 and 6 shot, I tried one of each and LOVE the smell, and they have a good kick to them, I was surprised.

Steve