Wipe out and some range time

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hondo1892
Senior Levergunner

Wipe out and some range time

Post by hondo1892 »

Been trying to get all the copper fouling out of my old Winchester 94 for a few months off and on. I was at Sportsman Warehouse and they had some foaming wipeout so I picked up a can. I read it was really good stuff and wanted to see for myself. I had tried Hoppes foam and it didn't seem to do much. After six or eight foamings it still had lots of copper. Last night I foamed up the 94 with wipeout. After three times the copper was almost completely gone. I'm a believer now, great stuff.
Made it out and did a little shooting with my S&W 28 and tried my new sight on my Uberti 1860 army. Had three different powders loaded to try in my 28. Titegroup had the best group with four shots at 1-3/4" and six shots made it 4-1/2". Don't know why two shots were so far from the others. Back thirty years ago I shot at least two hundred rounds out of my super Blackhawk a month. Then I could keep six rounds under two inches at twenty five yards easy. Now I'm lucky to keep them under three. But I don't shoot like I did then either. The Smith has the best trigger I've ever had on a revolver though. I think that I may be able to get my groups down around two inches at 25 yards with a little practice though. My shooting today was thirty paces so it should have been at least 25 yards. I need to get a better range set up. I have some steel plates I want to get hung for shooting at also. The other two powders I tried were Win 231 and Bullseye. Both of those powders did poorly, at least in the .357 case and my revolver. I need to color the front sight so I can see it better. The black is to hard for me to see well. Tried out my 1860 army after the Smith. The Uberti 1860 now shoots to point of aim after putting on a taller front sight. It shoots a little to the right though, but that may be me. For some reason I shoot these cheap repop revolvers better than modern revolvers. Go figure. I love the grip frame on the army models.
Griff
Posting leader...

Re: Wipe out and some range time

Post by Griff »

Both range time and getting copper fouling out are "good things"... but can be a lot of work! :) Let us know how that "Wipe-Out" stuff works... I've never used any of the foaming cleaners.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

that's a good report.

shooting to the right? ask a couple of people to shoot it and see how it goes. also, check the alignment from the muzzle end. sometimes they are cranked a little.

I have a model 66 that has the best trigger, single action, of any gun I have ever owned or shot. it's like, when I recognize the sights are lined up the gun goes off. been so long since I loaded for it that I had to research brittle paper, I used blue dot. I suppose it was something from a rcbs manual, that was all the load info I had back in the day. It killed deer, but not as well as the 44. night and day for handgunning.

Grizz
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

I have never used a foamer before, but that is good info. I used butches bore shine, and that has a very high ammonia content, which dissolves the copper pretty good.