POLITICS - Absolut Vodka's idea of a North American map

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ysabel Kid

POLITICS - Absolut Vodka's idea of a North American map

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Not that anyone needs another company to boycott, but this really frosts me... :evil:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/us_ ... absolut_dc
lever-4-life
Levergunner 2.0

Post by lever-4-life »

They wont be getting any more money from me :evil:
Break on through to the other side!!!
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Defending the campaign last week, Absolut maker Vin & Spirit said the ad was created "with a Mexican sensibility" and was not meant for the U.S. market.
Screw there sensibility we won that war. :twisted:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:
Defending the campaign last week, Absolut maker Vin & Spirit said the ad was created "with a Mexican sensibility" and was not meant for the U.S. market.
Screw there sensibility we won that war. :twisted:
Well put Jeremy!!! :D
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

This is a place for gentleman & ladies.
I will hold my piece,
no one who has ever stood in the Alamo.
Can look at that, and not feel anger.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Obviously Absolut's advert department also does QC product taste testing.Absolut Bulls**t! :evil: :evil: :evil:
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Greg807
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Greg807 »

Bout time Texans start complaining about the war of southern aggression.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

That ad was meant for Mexican consumption. I don't think they thought it would ever be viewed by us gringos.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Iron_Marshal
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Iron_Marshal »

The lying spin the company put on the fiasco of an ad campaign was so transparent.

I rarely imbibe spirits, but they can ABSOLUTLY shove their product where even the Mexican sun don't shine.

I agree with Mescalero because I have stood in what is left of the Alamo. This revisionist history is typical of those who seek to erase our borders and culture.
Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter.
Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water," Esquire, April 1936
Texican
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Texican »

mescalero1 wrote:This is a place for gentleman & ladies.
I will hold my piece,
no one who has ever stood in the Alamo.
Can look at that, and not feel anger.
Amen.
Texican

Gentlemanly Rogue, Projectilist of Distinction, and Son of Old Republic

Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

Too spendy for me anyway. I prefer my Vodka to come in at under $10 per 1.75L... :?
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

Wake up. America...

“If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without bloodshed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves.â€
pdawg.shooter
Levergunner 2.0

Post by pdawg.shooter »

Looks like its gonna be the Mexican-American War 2.0 is a coming!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Another reason to not drink that nasty stuff. That is a shame. I'd walk away from that company as fast as I could.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AmBraCol
Webservant

Post by AmBraCol »

Paul - in Pereira

"He is the best friend of American liberty who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion." -- John Witherspoon

http://www.paulmoreland.com
http://www.pistolpackingpreachers.us
http://www.precisionandina.com
mac45
Levergunner 1.0

Post by mac45 »

I sent 'em an email the other day, and got this today.

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate that you contact us to share your opinion. At ABSOLUT we are used to active reactions to our advertising, and we want our consumers to share their opinion - positive or negative. We have a policy to always reply to all emails individually, but due to the large amount of emails concerning the In an ABSOLUT World Mexico ad, we are unfortunately not able to answer all emails individually at this moment.

We acknowledge the reactions and debate and want to apologize for the concerns this ad caused. We are truly sorry and understand that the ad has offended many persons. This was not our intention.

The ad has been withdrawn as of Friday April 4th and will not be used in the future.

In no way was the ad meant to offend or disparage, or advocate an al! tering of borders, lend support to any anti-American sentiment, or to reflect immigration issues.

To ensure that we avoid future similar mistakes, we are adjusting our internal advertising approval process for ads that are developed in local markets.

Again, we are very sorry that we cannot reply to your email, if you want to continue the discussion and share your opinion with us and others, please go to our blog www.absolut.com/iaaw/blog

Our sincere apologies,

Paula Eriksson

VP, Corporate Communication

On behalf of;

V & S Absolut Spirits

Guess they figured out that America drinks more Vodka than Mexico.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Paul,

I like that idea, TEXAS.

As far as the original add, I think it was in very bad taste and showed a total corporate lack of concern for the people of the United States. As well as a total lack of common sense. For crying out loud, nobody with a grain of intelligence should assume that adds for one region or country will not be seen in another.
We see stuff from every country of the world on the internet ever day.
I simply think their add execs are a bunch of maroons.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Quick Karl

Post by Quick Karl »

If you can't figure out that those ad execs knew exactly what they were doing, knew exactly the reaction it would have here in the US, and had their smarmy canned reply prepared long ago, ready for when the fat lazy gringo cried, then you are insanely naive.

The ad accomplished everything the ad-execs wanted. It spit in the face of Americans, because they know Americans are hot-air, and appealed to the Mexicans that resent America (not that all Mexican’s do), all for the sake of increasing profit.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger.
Old Ironsights
Posting leader...

Post by Old Ironsights »

AmBraCol wrote:Image
Makes me want to move to North Central Texas...

Actually, that map isn't far from one in a SciFi/Alternate Reality Comic book called "Roswell, Texas" See it here: http://www.bigheadpress.com/roswell?page=1

Closeup:

Last edited by Old Ironsights on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין Daniel 5:25-28... Got 7.62?
Not Depressed enough yet? Go read National Geographic, July 1976
Gott und Gewehr mit uns!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

pdawg.shooter wrote:Looks like its gonna be the Mexican-American War 2.0 is a coming!
We'll have the same result, only faster! :D
Charles
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Charles »

My thoughts on the issue at hand:

1) I have never bought a bottle of Absolut and this makes it certain that I never will.

2) Their have been a bunch of Mexican nuts talking about the "reconquista" since the mind of man rememberth not.

3) Bring it on!!
DocHolliday
Levergunner

Post by DocHolliday »

Tito's Handmade (in Texas, no less) beats the snot out of that Swedish $hi% hands down. Don't think I'd flush the 'loo with their stuff now!
NRA Benefactor Life
NWTF Senior Sponsor
stretch
Advanced Levergunner

Post by stretch »

Yes, well put Mr. Reed!
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

mac45 wrote:I sent 'em an email the other day, and got this today.

Thank you for your email.

We appreciate that you contact us to share your opinion. At ABSOLUT we are used to active reactions to our advertising, and we want our consumers to share their opinion - positive or negative. We have a policy to always reply to all emails individually, but due to the large amount of emails concerning the In an ABSOLUT World Mexico ad, we are unfortunately not able to answer all emails individually at this moment.

We acknowledge the reactions and debate and want to apologize for the concerns this ad caused. We are truly sorry and understand that the ad has offended many persons. This was not our intention.

The ad has been withdrawn as of Friday April 4th and will not be used in the future.

In no way was the ad meant to offend or disparage, or advocate an al! tering of borders, lend support to any anti-American sentiment, or to reflect immigration issues.

To ensure that we avoid future similar mistakes, we are adjusting our internal advertising approval process for ads that are developed in local markets.

Again, we are very sorry that we cannot reply to your email, if you want to continue the discussion and share your opinion with us and others, please go to our blog www.absolut.com/iaaw/blog

Our sincere apologies,

Paula Eriksson

VP, Corporate Communication

On behalf of;

V & S Absolut Spirits

Guess they figured out that America drinks more Vodka than Mexico.
Got the same email in response to the one I sent them. Canned reply. Think they really care what we thing. They'll say what ever it takes to whoever will listen to make a buck..
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Jeeps
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Jeeps »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
pdawg.shooter wrote:Looks like its gonna be the Mexican-American War 2.0 is a coming!
We'll have the same result, only faster! :D
Better dust off the Alamo, that map makes it seem like we might need to
use it again :shock:
Jeeps

Semper Fidelis

Pay attention to YOUR Bill of Rights, in this day and age it is all we have.
BwanaDave
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BwanaDave »

Sometimes it is hard to not use racially offense language so I will just keep my mouth shut.

Dave