Visited the NRA Museum Lots of Pics

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Visited the NRA Museum Lots of Pics

Post by TedH »

Spent some time in Springfield, MO this weekend and took in the NRA National Sporting Arms Museum at Bass Pro. Wow, what a treat! Way too many gems to mention here, but I'll tease you with a few. If you're ever in the area, it's worth stopping in, and it's free of charge.

My personal favorite, Teddy's Big Medicine.

And Quigley's Sharps

I think I went through 3 or 4 napkins wiping the drool. :D
NRA Life Member
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Visited the NRA Museum Lots of Pics

Post by vancelw »

I just noticed they had a museum there....I'll have to stop by on my next trip that way.

I've only been to Bass Pro in Springfield once (back when it was the only one, I think) and they had a huge display of taxidermy...stacked in like cord wood.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
InTheWoods
Levergunner 2.0

Post by InTheWoods »

I, too, made the trip from central Missouri to Springfied recently to visit the museum (and go to a wedding). The museum is absolutely remarkable. I even had a hard time getting my wife out of there. There is also a great archery museum adjoining the firearms museum. I have been shooting a bow for well over fifty years and it was a little weird actually having shot with some of the archery greats (like Earl Hoyt) being featured there. Made me feel older than I think I am! Actually, I had some of the same experiences on the gun side. Scary.

Don't miss this museum and (definately) don't miss the one in Cody! Both are great, but the scale is significantly different. The one in Springfield is worth two or three wonderful hours. The one in Cody is worth a couple of days. Don't miss either.
FWiedner
Advanced Levergunner

Post by FWiedner »

A great photo line-up. Thanks.

The thing that caught my eye?

T.R. shot a Panda Bear. "Big Medicine".

:lol:
Government office attracts the power-mad, yet it's people who just want to be left alone to live life on their own terms who are considered dangerous.

History teaches that it's a small window in which people can fight back before it is too dangerous to fight back.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Never been to Mizzou but I do live within 60 miles of the NRA headquarters in Chantilly VA . But I've yet to make the trek there .

Doubt if I ever will , to close to DC :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

I saw all the ones from previous presidents; where's the one belonging to our current Great Leader...?
Goofys Popgun.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Rube Burrows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rube Burrows »

What beautiful firearms.
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

On the list, Thanks
It is not the critic who counts
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

Some neat firearms. The TR rifles and pistols are definitely pretty cool. But I have NEVER understood the interest in the firearms of actors. I guess I'm not much interested in fantasy, though I liked the movies as entertainment just fine, the actual firearms used in the movies are, however, of zero interest as they no interesting history outside of Hollywoodphilia.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

BrentD wrote:Some neat firearms. The TR rifles and pistols are definitely pretty cool. But I have NEVER understood the interest in the firearms of actors. I guess I'm not much interested in fantasy, though I liked the movies as entertainment just fine, the actual firearms used in the movies are, however, of zero interest as they no interesting history outside of Hollywoodphilia.
Same Here. Cool old guns though.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

We took the kids to Branson a couple of weeks ago and came back through Springfield. We were tired so didn't go to Bass Pro but did stop in at Lamberts for lunch. You know, where they throw your rolls to you from across the room. Actually I'm only a little over 2 hours west of Springfield on I-44 so will make a trip soon just for the museum. 'Probly go to Lamberts again too.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
plowboy 45
Senior Levergunner

Post by plowboy 45 »

Nice show
Thanks for posting Ted
Senior Levergunner

Post by 2571 »

AJMD429 wrote:I saw all the ones from previous presidents; where's the one belonging to our current Great Leader...?
Goofys Popgun.jpg
Barack said in one of his books that he owned a 1911. Editors & political staff edited that out of the book before publication.

Same thing happened when he ran for pres. Fact that Michelle's dad was a lifetime NRA member was quietly hushed up and the old guy's membership cancelled.
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Post by GonnePhishin »

Great Pictures. Thanks for posting. I think its pretty cool seeing all these old weapons displayed.
I wonder what the Napoleon shotgun is worth? I also find it interesting that TR's pistol had pearl handled grips since General George Patton was once asked (supposidly) if he had pearl handled revolvers and he said that pearl grips were for pimps. :lol:
It's also cool to see the Colt's that were used by Jack Palance and good ole Marshall Dillon :D 8)
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

BrentD wrote:Some neat firearms. The TR rifles and pistols are definitely pretty cool. But I have NEVER understood the interest in the firearms of actors. I guess I'm not much interested in fantasy, though I liked the movies as entertainment just fine, the actual firearms used in the movies are, however, of zero interest as they no interesting history outside of Hollywoodphilia.
I'm not interested in the guns of actors....I'm interested in the guns of the characters they played.
The Cartwrights, Quigley, etc. Little Joe's and Lucas McCain's guns were almost characters of their own! Who wouldn't recognize Josh Randell's (or Zoe's :wink: ) Mare's Leg? Probably as quickly as the actor was recognized.

Sometimes the details of their prop guns are interesting. Either way, if it interests someone in firearms who would not other wise be interested....that's good, right.

Wouldn't you like to own the carbine Audie Murphy carried in the movie where he played....Audie Murphy? :-D

I am definitely not interested in guns that actors owned that were not prominent in media. Who cares if some has-been, B-lister is bankrupt (from drugs or wives) and wants to sell his "collection"?
Last edited by vancelw on Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote:
I'm not interested in the guns of actors....I'm interested in the guns of the characters they played.
The Cartwrights, Quigley, etc. Little Joe's and Lucas McCain's guns were almost characters of their own! Who wouldn't recognize Josh Randell's (or Zoe's :wink: ) Mare's Leg? Probably as quickly as the actor was recognized.

Sometimes the details of their prop guns are interesting. Either way, if it interests someone in firearms who would not other wise be interested....that's good, right.

Wouldn't you like to own the carbine Audie Murphy carried in the movie where he played....Audit Murphy? :-D

I am definitely not interested in guns that actors owned that were not prominent in media. Who cares if some has-been, B-lister is bankrupt (from drugs or wives) and wants to sell his "collection"?
+1
They are still historical, just a different chapter of history.
NRA Life Member
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

I am not that much of a movie buff so, no, I am not interested in guns used in movies by characters or actors - unless, of course I can flip one for a huge profit to someone who is interested in that sort of stuff.
rbertalotto
Senior Levergunner

Post by rbertalotto »

Great Museum!

Did you notice the railing going up the stairs? It is made out of hundreds of muzzle loaders welded 4" apart! Beautiful!

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
www.rvbprecision.com
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

I have mixed emotions about that... :?
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

You and me both. Sort of like finding a nice 74 Sharps made into a floor lamp. Cool, but could be infinitely cooler as a functional rifle.
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

vancelw wrote:I have mixed emotions about that... :?
I did too, until I looked at one closely. They are fakes.
NRA Life Member
BrentD

Post by BrentD »

In that case it is an impressive (and probably very expensive) railing. And I'll sleep much better tonight :)
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

And the really sad thing is...the fakes probably cost more than real rifles would have.

I'm the guy who will spend 100 dollars to "restore" or re-purpose something that's only worth 75 when you're finished, because I just can't stand throwing something away.