OT - Anyone near Gillette, Wy.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

OT - Anyone near Gillette, Wy.

Post by Old Savage »

Friend headed that way.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

hartman
Levergunner 1.0

Post by hartman »

Turkey's, Oil or Coal??

Hartman
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Actually he is building a house there and has run into some problem.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

What sort of problem?
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

He needs help with a building project from a local general contractor is what I believe he thinks right now. Good guy - easy to work with - straight up.

Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Things are a mess up there with all the growth again. Have him take a deep breath and back up to see what happened, and see what it'll take to get it straight.
QuarterChoke
Levergunner

Post by QuarterChoke »

Old Savage,
Nothing you have read or heard about the housing situation applies to Gillette, WY. They are building housing as fast as they can, and there is no lack of customers. It is hard to bring in more construction workers as there is little in the way of housing for them. There are several towns in the state that are almost as bad. The Wyoming unemployment rate is now 2.6%.
Leverluver
Senior Levergunner

Post by Leverluver »

OS

Same tune, different singer, huh? :wink:

I was reading the Wyoming Business paper today and there was a graph where it showed population trends in WY in the last 30 years. In 77/78 (the peak years) we were at ~540,000. In 84 (the depth of the WY depresion, $9 a barrel crude) we were at ~340,000. That is nearly a 40% mass exodus out of the state. We've gained back about 2/3 of that but still not near the peak. I don't really recall where the heck we put all of them. Sure seems crowded now.

Good luck to your friend. He'll need it.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Thanks for the replies fellas. Sounds like he just has to take over managing the project for a while from my info from him this am. The Wyoming population is similar to this valley which is about the size of Rhode Island.

gtaylor
Levergunner

Post by gtaylor »

OS-

I'm about 65 miles West of Gillette. A few years ago I was speaking with a gentleman who had just retired from the West Coast and built a home here. After rattling off the issues he'd had with the various trades through the process, he capped it off by saying;

"It's like living in a third world country where they speak English!"

At that point in time, I didn't even giggle, but now we laugh about it regularly, and he has come to appreciate it! I was raised here, but have done a couple circles through more populous locations. You certainly get better service in the larger places, but I have made my choice!
Respectfully, Gordon